Bill Shelley Footage

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

TAB
Madman

Re: Bill Shelley Footage

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

Tom i believe he acquired it in the 80s. that is what he told me in the emails above.

Also, I emailed him. I got a very disinterested response. Maybe it's because something is in the works and he can't talk about it, maybe its the current lawsuit. Anyways, here's the messages.

Me: Hi Bill, I hope things are well. We spoke about a year ago regarding Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads footage that is in your possession. Last we spoke, you mentioned that Sharon has not cleared you to release your footage. I am emailing you today to inquire if any ground for a release has been made. Also, last time we spoke, you mentioned you had footage of Randy and Ozzy playing at a birthday party and some concert clips of the band. If you do not mind, can you please shed some light on the content of the concert clips such as the quality, location or duration. I thank you for your collection of concerts and your efforts to keep Randy’s memory alive.

Patrick

Bill Shelley: No changes.

That is all he said... Very uncharacteristic of Bill to send a response of that nature. Ideas?
I went ahead and rode the white horse
Astral Plane

Post by Astral Plane »

I asked Bill about Ozzy Randy footage during a Q and A after a Zeppelin screening when he specifically asked what other bands we would like to see. Someone in back of me yelled out "yeah!!" Bill changed the subject pretty quick without a response to my inquiry. Something is up with footage in particular I think.
Astral Plane

Post by Astral Plane »

Astral Plane wrote:I asked Bill about Ozzy Randy footage during a Q and A after a Zeppelin screening when he specifically asked what other bands we would like to see. Someone in back of me yelled out "yeah!!" Bill changed the subject pretty quick without a response to my inquiry. Something is up with footage in particular I think.
Thinking back, my memory is a little clearer, he didn't change the subject, but simply asked everyone, and what other bands. Without confirming or denying Randy footage
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

I don't know why this guy gets overlooked so much. We have confirmed pro quality footage here. Emailed him again a few days ago (been in the randy searching spirit since the whole detroit fiasco) and he's still got it all, has shown it to the osbournes but nothing has come of it yet. As far as this footage goes, he has made it clear that the call is Sharon's. So... why she's waiting or holding off is beyond me.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

LongRhoadsAhead wrote:I don't know why this guy gets overlooked so much. We have confirmed pro quality footage here. Emailed him again a few days ago (been in the randy searching spirit since the whole detroit fiasco) and he's still got it all, has shown it to the osbournes but nothing has come of it yet. As far as this footage goes, he has made it clear that the call is Sharon's. So... why she's waiting or holding off is beyond me.
Could be that Ozzy's not in top shape or they can't get a multitrack recording of the show so they can touch up Ozzy's voice?
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Astral Plane wrote:
Astral Plane wrote:I asked Bill about Ozzy Randy footage during a Q and A after a Zeppelin screening when he specifically asked what other bands we would like to see. Someone in back of me yelled out "yeah!!" Bill changed the subject pretty quick without a response to my inquiry. Something is up with footage in particular I think.
Thinking back, my memory is a little clearer, he didn't change the subject, but simply asked everyone, and what other bands. Without confirming or denying Randy footage

I don't know if I stated it here or somewhere else... but I think I have a pretty good idea of what might have caused all this footage issues with Randy.

The span from when Randy was likely recorded on video by an in-house crew is so close to when he actually passed away (April 81 to March 82) I believe that once Randy passed, everyone who had footage, realized there is no other footage of him. They may have started reaching out to the Osbourne's way too soon trying to cash in on it. There is no doubt Sharon would remember who and when it was if that happened. Maybe the next generation can fill me on that part of the story as I was only 4 when we passed. When was it realized there is no footage (other than after hours) of Randy, right away? 1 year, 2 years? 5 years when Tribute came out?

Randy (and the band apparently) knew they were being taped that night. This means Sharon was aware of it and likely agreed as long as they were given a copy or something. Maybe Bill forgot or never got to it, then Randy died and he tried to cash in. Basically cashing in on something that he was going to give away for free. I doubt Sharon agreed to pay for video footage of show when the current form of the band was together less than a month at that time (Capitol was April I think?)

This is why someone who comes out of the dark (like in 2010 )and presents something and it actually gets purchased by the Osbourne (palladium and diary footage).

The other part is, I don't think they are will to pay more than 5-10k for anything no matter what it is. I base this just on rumors I have heard over the years. Take Bob Daisy for example, he was offered what 10k for the grail tapes? I think thats worth 10 times more than any footage out there because we pretty much get to hear every song Randy made with Ozzy live.

YCKRR is what I want the most out of those sessions!