Do you remember the moment you became a Randy Fan?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

OrignalBOOfan

Do you remember the moment you became a Randy Fan?

Post by OrignalBOOfan »

I was 12 years old after seeing the crazy train video for the tribute album. You?
rhoads56
Cool Member

Re: Do you remember the moment you became a Randy Fan?

Post by rhoads56 »

I stole some money out of my mums purse. Rode my bike to the record store, and bought the Tribute album because it had a song that said "with guitar solo". I like guitar solos ;)

It had an awesome cover, and Id already copied some Black Sabbath tapes off a friend. I also had an Anthrax cassette with "
bonus interview" at the end, and they talked about how crazy Ozzy was.

Purchased the cassette, and started riding home, listening to it on my walkman. After the first song, I HAD to rewind and listen again. TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. What's this?!??! He is doing little solos after every riff?? MADNESS!!!

On the second listen of the first song, I remember losing control of my bike, and falling off. I just lay on the ground listening. I couldn't believe my ears.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

1980, Ocean Park, WA United Methodist Church summer camp... a kid traded me a homemade cassette with Crazy Train, Dee and Suicide Solution on it along with other stuff like Nazareth, Pat Travers (Snortin' Whiskey) and Nugent for my store-bought cassette of Blue Oyster Cult's first album...

I'd heard Crazy Train on the radio, but the tone of Randy's guitar on the opening riff of Suicide Solution hooked me on that record.

I missed out on seeing Randy at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle in 1981 because I was focused on seeing Blue Oyster Cult a couple weeks later (my first concert)... I loved the tape I had but didn't really get deeply into Randy until March 19, 1982 when I heard the report on the radio that Randy had died. That spurred an interest in reading about everything Randy from that day forward.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

The first time I heard "I Don't Know" on the radio at an Independence Day Carnival (on the Round-up) during the summer of '81. It was perfectly constructed and I loved the middle section (still do), and then how it rips your head off coming out of it and right into the guitar solo. Then, a couple months later (in September), King Biscuit broadcasted the 7.28.81 Montreal Show on the radio which I recorded and that cemented it for me; Randy was as terrific live as he was in the studio.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

A Sunday night when they debuted "Tribute" on the radio, I was going to College in San Diego at the time, I bought the album the next day and began taking guitar lessons. Later in that Summer, Ozzy dropped by KGB-FM to promote the album, I went up there and he signed it...
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I was born in 1986 so my story will be a bit different than most here. I've had rock/metal in my life since I can remember but it was around 2002 that I discovered Randy Rhoads. A friend had let me borrow Diary of a Madman, he was a massive Sabbath/Ozzy fan, and told me that I had to listen to the title track. It just blew me away and it was one of the few times where I said to myself "what is that!?". Honestly before hearing Diary I didn't really dig too deep into Ozzy. I knew he had a few guitarists and had heard mainly the hits but after hearing DOAM I was a changed man.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

I was 9 years old sitting in my lower school art class when Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine" came on. I asked the teacher the name and was told. I proceeded to go home after school and listen to that song on youtube which had just been introduced to the internet a few months ago so i was unsure if that song had been uploaded yet. sure enough, it had and under related videos i see "Ozzy osbourne crazy train live after hours". at the time i read that and thought that meant it was played late at night... oh the innocence. anyway i see this long haired man that is murdering a cream colored guitar and i was hooked. i spent the next two weeks learning the main riff on a squire mini guitar (i had never touched a guitar before, i had one from an xmas present that i never used). i learned the riff finally and tried to move on to the verse... too hard. i move along on the same album and get through it all, then i find tribute and hear some songs i hadnt on blizzard which led me to find diary. i idolize this music for weeks on end. here's where it gets sad. I look up when i can see ozzy in concert with randy. it took about 3 searches for me to discover he had been killed in 82'. i cried about it for a few hours because he looked so nice and i didnt think he deserved to be dead, and i still dont think that. anyway, 10 years later im now about 20 and love his music even more than i did then! i think learning of him as a child is what made me gravitate towards him so much, he was superman to me and how i managed to go a month without knowing he had passed is beyond me but it made it more special in a way. i'll never forget the way i discovered him or his impact on my life. just think if a shitty song had been on that didnt catch my attention. now im a proud guitarist with a decade of experience, i dress different because of my interests and am very happy with who i am. it sounds cheesy to credit all that to randy, but had his music not been introduced to me, i know id be a different man.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I only became aware of who he was when tribute came out. I already owned blizzard and diary (as well as bark and TUS) but never looked into who the guitarists were until I started playing guitar when I was 16 (1987). I was already into jake because of the salt lake city VHS but when tribute came out randy took over as THE influence on my guitar journey
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

One of my moms friends gave me a mix tape of a free differnrt bands and songs on it around 1988. I was 10 years old.

4 of the songs were I don't know, crazy train, GTR and YCKRR.

That did it for me..
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

The day my brother scooped a copy of Blizzard in downtown T.O (1980). He was blown away because they were playing it in store and told me it will destroy my mind (been waiting on his solo stuff since his boot from Sabbath). I was dying to find out whom this Randy Rhoads was. The minute I Don't Know started - total goosebumps. I never looked back since my mind was completely blown to bit's by this up and cummer guitar wiz. :)
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

When I was a young teenager a guitarist was trying to get me to better understand Rick drumming, until then my influenced had been Clem Burk and John Bonham. On the tape was Mr Crowley and it was like a massive also across the face hearing it! My drumming took on an odd path because I would soon become influenced by drummers like Leanard Haze (y&t) and Tommy Aldridge but Randys live playing also influenced his I constructed riffs.
I am sure Mr Crowley was given to me because that song demonstrates how good musicians can collide and create inventive music.

I still love it.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.