Re: Randys amps.

Post by Stiltzkin »

sytharnia wrote:white head backwards :lol:
doesn't look backwards to me if you compare it to the other 2
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I have always wondered how long the tape stayed on the cabs and amp heads. I'm sure after Randy's death when Ozzy shipped his gear back home he mentioned the cabs still having the black tape on them then. So i gather at some time one of Randy's family decided to remove the tape and i know what that tape is like to remove when it has been stuck down for years, it's tougher then gun metal. I don't know why they didn't just drape his gear in a black out cloth until the lights came up on stage...Being a yes man to $haron fkn O$bourne and her ruling hierachy bullshit...
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I have a new found love with my 78 JMP and my MXR Script logo. My 78 has tons of mods on the high input. But for the first time in about 2 years I tried the low input with MXR distortion + and holy crap. Put the MXR dimed at 10 on both the volume and distortion and it sounds EXACTLY like the opening riff of crazy train. The bottom end is so thick with MXR. As you roll back back on the guitars volume the tone starts to fall in line with Randy live tone(which I come about 95% close without MXR on the high input)

Harmonics, pick slides and slides in general all get huge amounts of sustain and much clearer. I think I am going to roll with my setup like this for awhile.

Also before with the Marshall alone and the MXR 3 knob chorus I could get that nice distorted chorus on the clean parts of the diary tour that Randy seemed to like over plain clean sound. Adding the MXR nails it even further.

Pretty happy right now with it all, I plan on getting some recoding mics soon and will make some clips.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I had a MXR 10band EQ once...so much noise :(
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Stiltzkin wrote:I had a MXR 10band EQ once...so much noise :(

The new script logo reissue is the one I am using now. I was going to plunk down 200-300 for an original as I had one in the past but all the reviews I read of the reissue said it was exactly like th originally. They even used all NOS parts for it, it's the same pedal. Less noise though than I remember
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Stiltzkin wrote:
sytharnia wrote:white head backwards :lol:
doesn't look backwards to me if you compare it to the other 2
yeah I think you are right. When I first looked at the picture I thought the leads were speaker cables.....then I looked at the head above it and its the same look
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

Wolf Marshall in his book that had Randy's amp settings and pedalboard diagram and lay out said that randy had 2 brown 1979, 59 super leads and 1,1959 white cascaded super lead master volume plexi, this book was released in 87 I think and he got to look at Randy's setup when he was still alive and touring with ozzy.

I hope this helps guys if I can find the article about his book I will post it for everybody here
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

I made a mistake a 79 plexi and a 70 plexi cascaded
http://www.guitargeek.com/randy-rhoads- ... p-diagram/