Found proof of cameras at Day on the Green on 7/4/81

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GuitarJoe
Cool Member

Re: Found proof of cameras at Day on the Green on 7/4/81

Post by GuitarJoe »

dasboot wrote:The singer of 415 is Eric Martin of Mr. Big. Maybe he remembers something about the filming arrangements of that day if anyone knows how to contact him. I wonder if Paul Gilbert asked him about it.
This is my exact thought as well. Paul Gilbert is a massive Randy fan. most of us are aware he attended the seminar in Penn in Feb 1982. I'm sure he'd LOVE to help unearth some never before seen Randy footage, and all it would take is him calling his old band mate Eric Martin to find out who recorded 415's set at Day On The Green. Then that guy could be contacted and if he does indeed have any footage of the Ozzy set that day perhaps he would be open to releasing it? That's a real lead, hopefully someone takes it.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Don't know if this was one of you guys that posted this at the Traders Den from last year but here is somoenes reply over there regarding the footage on MTV that others have mentioned.

"i might add that i rember seeing pro shot video footage of an 81 show day on the green broadcast over mtv back when there programing actually contained music! since wolfgangs vault opened up shop, since day on the green was a bill graham promotions i thought it would have surfaced by now! W.T.f. where all getting older rock n roll is losing its audience evidenced by all the kid listing to rap. when i say broadcast it was a 20 second spot or blurb. anybody have an idea who owns the rights to randys music, image? day on the green footage?
gator"
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Ok so here is maybe a new one to me at least...and it looks to me like a guy up in the staging is holding a camera, in unedited photo you make out his outline when zoomed in, but also while zoomed in you can make out a large grayish object on this shoulder, and at the end of that very large grayish object you can just barely see what looks like a circle(lens maybe?)

So i uploaded the original here, then the re sizing i did, then the tracing of the outline of the guy. I had not tried messing with the colors and contrast and so forth, maybe i will try that and see if it looks any better.

Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

nada
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Tito wrote:nada
this ... I can't see anything that remotely looks like a camera
crumblycake

Post by crumblycake »

sytharnia wrote:
Tito wrote:nada
this ... I can't see anything that remotely looks like a camera
that`s because it`s not a camerman. It`s a shape shifting reptilain alien from the planet vega! What do you think he thinks it looks like!
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I tried to put the photo in an editor but the quality is too brutal to clear up what you're pointing out. It would appear to be a guy but from his shoulders up it's almost a blur.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

orion_damage wrote:I tried to put the photo in an editor but the quality is too brutal to clear up what you're pointing out. It would appear to be a guy but from his shoulders up it's almost a blur.
Exactly and i do agree with that, you can pretty much clearly make out his legs and torso and 3/4 of both his arms. The tell tale to me at least was his right arm is bent upwards towards his head like he is holding a video camera on his shoulder. From the shoulders up it is blurry as hell but it turns into a grey object and towards the front point of the object is a dark circle in the middle at the end of it.

You can almost make out the guys unbuttoned shirt also forming the "V" (from the pics we seen of him earlier)

Something to keep an eye out for though on that side of the stage still in any future pics that may appear!
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

looks interesting!
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Shockwave wrote:The tell tale to me at least was his right arm is bent upwards towards his head like he is holding a video camera on his shoulder. From the shoulders up it is blurry as hell but it turns into a grey object and towards the front point of the object is a dark circle in the middle at the end of it.
Looks something grey indeed, hard to tell for sure if it's a cam or not. Lets compare with the picture this thread started with:

If we ask ourselves if it's the same guy in both pictures?
The guy in the first picture is wearing a blue shirt and light blue pants. The second pic, looks like a bare upper body and black/dark pants.
I don't think the two people in both pics are the same.
(doesn't have to say it's filmed or not, just something to notice, nothing more than that)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

Thanks Shock for still looking and showing that photo. Don't think I haven't seen this one before. Wish it were better quality but never seen too many photos that show that full side into the stage when Ozzy was on except a b&w ross halfin photo. Not sure what is there. Doubt if that's a camera but look at it like this. The venue filmed Aero, Nugent, Acdc, Skynard the year or so before shows. Skynards recently was released. If the venue filmed the previous years I can't see why they wouldn't film 81'.
rhoads56
Cool Member

Post by rhoads56 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
Shockwave wrote:
This photo COULD also be:

Guy standing there, looking slightly downwards. Both hands are raised, to put his fingers in his ears...
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

rhoads56 wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:
Shockwave wrote:
This photo COULD also be:

Guy standing there, looking slightly downwards. Both hands are raised, to put his fingers in his ears...
Nah the guy is 100% certainly holding what looks to be a camera. There's no doubt in that, you can easily put it in an editor, sharpen it and enlarge it for better viewing.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I heard this from someone (once a massive Randy fan) who doesn't want his name to be mentioned, so I won't. But
that 'someone' met Lyndsy Brigdewater long ago and asked him if he knew of any concerts being filmed with Randy. He said there were camera people when they did the 'Day on the Green' concert. Still no hard evidence of that, but at least there is evidence the act before Ozzy was filmed indeed. Though we haven't seen any footage of other bands who played that day. I strongly suspect there is footage out there, maybe one day....

Lynyrd Skynyrd at DOTG 1977 filmed in front and from the left (as it seems 415 was filmed in '81 from left as well):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN65Xux5FYQ
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

does look like one of the old vhs recorders..