Ridge Farm 2015!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

singerman71

Ridge Farm 2015!

Post by singerman71 »

I don't post much on here, but I always check this site out every few days.When I do post, it's usual something that maybe of interest to everyone.
I started off playing guitar when I was 14, Randy Rhoads was the reason I picked up the guitar, I was ok but it turned out I was a better singer so ditched the guitar.
Up until Saturday I was the vocalist in a party/ function band called Supersaurus and decided to retire from singing after 20yrs, my last gig being at Ridge Farm! , perfect end in my opinion as I've come full circle.
We arrived early so I could soak up the attmosphere and find the areas where the band posed for a few photos.
We had a chance to explore everywhere apart from the old studio which was padlocked, real shame!
We were able to look around the main cottage, and the grounds,enjoy the photos.
See if you can guess what riff I'm playing on the acoustic in the cottage ;-)

It really is a very special place...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
singerman71

Re: Ridge Farm 2015!

Post by singerman71 »

More pics...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
singerman71

Post by singerman71 »

As you can see, Queen were there in 1975!
singerman71

Post by singerman71 »

Forgot to mention, sadly The Plough pub just down the road from the studio where the band used to frequent between recording sessions is closed and has been boarded up :-( , hopefully someone will re-open it rather than turn into a private house.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Really neat photos. How'd it feel walking around the same areas as Randy and the guys? The photo of the white wall comparison is pretty cool to see.

Based on your hand position my guess would be the Crazy Train riff
singerman71

Post by singerman71 »

orion_damage wrote:Really neat photos. How'd it feel walking around the same areas as Randy and the guys? The photo of the white wall comparison is pretty cool to see.

Based on your hand position my guess would be the Crazy Train riff
Hi Orion,

You are correct, Crazy Train it is! , it just had to be done lol ...weird feeling playing that riff at such a 'holy' place.

I have to say as a Rhoads fan and a musician it was a truly amazing feeling.

Its a very special place to visit, and to have a chance to play there was such an honour!!
singerman71

Post by singerman71 »

Myself my brother took some pics of the studio and The Plough a good few years ago, think I uploaded them somewhere or emailed them to people that requested to see them.

The photo that we took of The Plough was used by Peter for the short Randy doc trailer that was leaked.
singerman71

Post by singerman71 »

More...., the last one is the studio itself, the earlier photo of the band against the wall was taken to the right of the studio door, where my wife is sitting.... Wondering what all the fuss is about lol
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Aside from the history, Ridge Farm looks like a beautiful place. Did you guys ask to check out the studio? Just curious if you did and why they wouldn't allow a tour of the studio.
singerman71

Post by singerman71 »

Well its mainly a wedding venue now, and the studio is out of bounds.The only staff on site during the wedding are catering & wedding staff and they didnt have access to the studio unfortunately.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

singerman71 wrote:Well its mainly a wedding venue now, and the studio is out of bounds.The only staff on site during the wedding are catering & wedding staff and they didnt have access to the studio unfortunately.
Ah that makes sense. I wonder how much has changed inside the studio? The outside appeared to be untouched.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

this was really cool to see :)
singerman71

Post by singerman71 »

Yes the outside is untouched , it was built in 1600s/1700s I think, all the walls are twisted out of shape, but I think they have looked like that for a couple of hundred years, so I don't think anyone's worried about it falling down anytime soon.There is a pic on ridge farms website I think showing it as it today, hasn't really changed that much inside, the law doesn't allow people to change these types of buildings thankfully :-)

Glad you like the pics Stiltzkin, I took them with everyone on this board in mind, it's just nice to know people such as you guys enjoy this kind of thing as much as me
singerman71

Post by singerman71 »

Entrance to a small cottage next to the many house where ozzy stayed when recording his first 3 solo albums.
This cottage is where Bob wrote the lyrics to flying high again according to his book.
Looks like Queen also stayed in there too.
For some reason the photo of them is reversed, but definatly the same entrance as the wooden pillar is twisted exactly the same as my pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

singerman71 wrote:Entrance to a small cottage next to the many house where ozzy stayed when recording his first 3 solo albums.
This cottage is where Bob wrote the lyrics to flying high again according to his book.
Looks like Queen also stayed in there too.
For some reason the photo of them is reversed, but definatly the same entrance as the wooden pillar is twisted exactly the same as my pics

Nice one singerman71 , i live up near the studio where they wrote the albums and clearwell castle thats in Bob's book too , its still a studio though ( for the moment) Queen wrote Bohemian Rhapsody there .Theres some photos on here somewhere.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.