Southampton Question?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Re: Southampton Question?

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

The Cleveland 5/11/81 show was broadcasted by NBC The Source.

2 other pieces of Southampton made it onto the Ozzy Live disc:

-The full Mr Crowley extended keyboard intro (hence the fade-in on the EP).
-Randy's solo (cut and paste job like Tribute).

With all of those pieces out there, I doubt the whole show will ever make it out there even if bridges are ever mended, which obviously doubtful too.

I think that version of Suicide Solution on the EP is great. Awesome solo during the fade. Great band vibe and nice raw production.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

What are you talking about guys?? Goodbye to romance on tribute is not form Southampton.. Man its eaSy to recognise tommy aldrige playing on it... no bone movie too
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

fortress wrote:What are you talking about guys?? Goodbye to romance on tribute is not form Southampton.. Man its eaSy to recognise tommy aldrige playing on it... no bone movie too
I haven't listened for any drumming differences, but it's been long believed that those 2 tracks are from that show. Ozzy stated they were from 1980 with the original band, although he also said most of Tribute was from Montreal. He stated in Guitar for the Practicing Musician in 1987 that those two tracks were the highlights for him on Tribute when he was asked what the best overall band performance was on the album. He said they've got that edge and mentioned the original band with Bob and Lee. Randy's guitar tone sounds like the tone he had in 80 and not 82 when they played those tracks with Tommy and Rudy. When Southampton was going to be part of the 30th Anniversary box set and the bonus disc of the Blizzard of Ozz 2CD Legacy Edition (which obviously changed to Diary being paired with the later live show), the disc was going to be shorter than the full show according to what CD Japan had listed before the changes. This is likely due to those tracks already being released and omitted from the planned Southampton disc.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

fortress wrote:What are you talking about guys?? Goodbye to romance on tribute is not form Southampton.. Man its eaSy to recognise tommy aldrige playing on it... no bone movie too

Incorrect, NBM and GTR may not be from the Southampton show, but they are definitely from 1980 with Lee and Bob. On the 1981 USA Blizzard tour they did not play GTR, NBM for only the first month or so I believe. They Were both brought back during the 1982 Diary tour.
tone1963

Post by tone1963 »

Shockwave wrote:

Incorrect, NBM and GTR may not be from the Southampton show, but they are definitely from 1980 with Lee and Bob. On the 1981 USA Blizzard tour they did not play GTR, NBM for only the first month or so I believe. They Were both brought back during the 1982 Diary tour.
Sorry for digging up an old thread... I was having this debate with my drummer at rehearsal tonight regarding NBM & GTR from the Tribute Album. He told me there is no doubt in his mind that Tommy Aldrige played on those 2 tracks...? My drummer is a big fan of Tommy's for 30+ years and he idolizes him. :) To be quite honest, I hear a lot of Tommy in both tracks as well... Is it possible both NBM & GTR from Tribute were taken from a recording during the Diary Tour?
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

tone1963 wrote:
Shockwave wrote:

Sorry for digging up an old thread... I was having this debate with my drummer at rehearsal tonight regarding NBM & GTR from the Tribute Album. He told me there is no doubt in his mind that Tommy Aldrige played on those 2 tracks...? My drummer is a big fan of Tommy's for 30+ years and he idolizes him. :) To be quite honest, I hear a lot of Tommy in both tracks as well... Is it possible both NBM & GTR from Tribute were taken from a recording during the Diary Tour?
I really doubt it. Sounds like Randy's 1980 tone and sounds like Bob Daisley on bass. Also, the original Southampton bonus disc had less tracks than a full concert, most likely because these two tracks were already released along with Mr. Crowley and Suicide Solution.

Those two tracks are the highlight for me on Tribute, along with Dee. If I want to hear 1981 stuff, it's the original mix of Cleveland or my fave which is Montreal King Biscuit.