After Hours and Randy's thumbnail.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

tihsyloh

After Hours and Randy's thumbnail.

Post by tihsyloh »

I was just watching After Hours again and noticed that Randy's thumbnail on his picking hand is long. I noticed it more on Mr. Crowley and Crazy Train. I have heard about how he would let it grow out during the Quiet riot years, and how it got broken off in the fight with Kelly Garni. But I didn't know he kept growing it out when he was with Ozzy. Was he using that long thumbnail for his up-strokes while picking? He seemed to have a reason for it. What do you think about it?
"But they're not blind, Its just that they won't see."[color=#0040FF][/color]
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: After Hours and Randy's thumbnail.

Post by orion_damage »

tihsyloh wrote:I was just watching After Hours again and noticed that Randy's thumbnail on his picking hand is long. I noticed it more on Mr. Crowley and Crazy Train. I have heard about how he would let it grow out during the Quiet riot years, and how it got broken off in the fight with Kelly Garni. But I didn't know he kept growing it out when he was with Ozzy. Was he using that long thumbnail for his up-strokes while picking? He seemed to have a reason for it. What do you think about it?
I've always heard it was something classical guitarists did since classical guitar is primarily finger picking.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

It's for classical guitar picking, PIMA style..
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I heard it was just done for us to query years later :-p ....I'm sure he was asked about it in an interview and he said he just liked to grow his nails long and didn't use them as picks. I'd have to see him playing classical style to argue, but it may of already been mentioned on here.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

kelly had mentioned it was just for show.i think it was noticing jimmy page with a long thumbnail anf they thought it was cool.dont quote me but i think i read it years ago.when youre nail is that long its flimsy and not good for spanish guitar playing at all.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

There's another reason why people grow long nails 8)
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i didnt wanna say it but thats another angle stiltz!!!Lol!!!!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Check out Zakk Wylie's nails, he has grown them all out on his picking hand and using them all the time on acoustic and electric.

But Randy's was just for fun between him and Garni as others have said. It just stuck with him after he left QR. Did he even have it long on the Diary tour?
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Stiltzkin wrote:There's another reason why people grow long nails 8)
I'm shocked no one's mentioned this until now.

And let's be honest; it WAS the 80's.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I have 2 finger long on my right hand ..... every one thought it was for coke :roll: :D ... then I would show them how I finger pick with them and a guitar pick they "get it"
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Tito wrote:Kelly had mentioned it was just for show.i think it was noticing jimmy page with a long thumbnail and they thought it was cool. Don't quote me but i think i read it years ago.
I was thinking that Kelly had said at some point that it started has a joke -he thought it was funny to grow it long and freak people out or something to that effect - and he just kept going with it...
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Tito wrote:Kelly had mentioned it was just for show.i think it was noticing jimmy page with a long thumbnail and they thought it was cool. Don't quote me but i think i read it years ago.
I was thinking that Kelly had said at some point that it started has a joke -he thought it was funny to grow it long and freak people out or something to that effect - and he just kept going with it...

The sad thing is im pretty sure nails keep growing for a while after death...
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

mojopin70 wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:

The sad thing is im pretty sure nails keep growing for a while after death...

Not sure, but I would think they would appear longer as the fingers started rotting away ...