Randys amps.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: Randys amps.

Post by Cryptic Night »

friday wrote:is the white amp a special marshall release ?
I know there was a blue maybe 87 or so , a grey , Ive seen a red one but that may have been personalised

of course RR wouldve moved on to another band ,also take a chunk of ozzy fans too Id say.
I believe they were custom made for Randy.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I've seen other bands using white tolex covered cabs and amps well before Randy used them. I think Randy's cabs had been customised to his specs using the altec speakers instead of the stock marshall speakers. Plus the amp head was modified to his specs but only a tech head would be able to explain what he had done.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I honestly think after Randy had seen how the Rocknroll life style works for a major band. The glamour of it had been tarnished enough for him to witness it but then want out as fast as he'd seen it. He was concentrating 100% on his classical tuition which he carried on doing while on tour with Ozzy. I think he would of dropped out of the rock scene and focused on the classical style. Which makes sense, i don't think he used it to up his playing style with his playing ability it just came natural. But it is purely hind sight and speculation he could of went to UCLA and became a full time teacher who knows ?.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I think Randy's cabs had been customised to his specs using the altec speakers instead of the stock marshall speakers. Plus the amp head was modified to his specs but only a tech head would be able to explain what he had done.
yeah randy's amp was basically a 59 super lead with a cascade mod, which in simple terms is feeding the output of the first stage into the input of the second stage so you increase the gain. I have read many times that he never used the cascade mod, but who knows really.

A cranked plexi style amp (which means its REALLLY FUCKING LOUD) on its own is glorious, so I can see how using his pedals as well he didn't really need the mod
friday wrote: I know there was a blue maybe 87 or so , a grey , Ive seen a red one but that may have been personalised
of course RR wouldve moved on to another band ,also take a chunk of ozzy fans too Id say.
the 20th ann marshalls were white, but they were basically white jcm 800's

the grey/silver was the 25th ann model (so basically slashes amp) and the blue/purple were the 30th ann (think satriani)

red would have been a custom job like jake e lee's orange ones
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Here's a curious thought. Say Randy had lived for "Speak of the Devil" but passed away at the beginning of 83. I wonder how that would have changed things as far as his legacy and the desire to locate unseen footage or unheard audio?

My personal take is it would have cemented him more as a guitar legend with the release of the vhs and now DVD. I think the desire for footage wouldn't be as intense but certainly still there.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

orion_damage wrote:Here's a curious thought. Say Randy had lived for "Speak of the Devil" but passed away at the beginning of 83. I wonder how that would have changed things as far as his legacy and the desire to locate unseen footage or unheard audio?

My personal take is it would have cemented him more as a guitar legend with the release of the vhs and now DVD. I think the desire for footage wouldn't be as intense but certainly still there.

Yep, agree, simple example was Stevie Ray Vaughan..After his accident, and since there were live videos then, his appeal vaulted. I use SRV because in my mind, he had a segmented audience, much like RR and in contrast to say Hendrix who was more globally known.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Cryptic Night wrote:
friday wrote:is the white amp a special marshall release ?
I know there was a blue maybe 87 or so , a grey , Ive seen a red one but that may have been personalised

I believe they were custom made for Randy.
That is my recollection. Randy had asked for a white amp and he go it. He got what ever was the production 100 amp (1959 Super Leads, no master volume)at the time plus the aforementioned cascade mod.

I wonder if his black Marshall had the same mod? Not that it matters much. I think the case is pretty solid that Randy really didn't use, at least as far as live shows from 80-81 are concerned.
No pictures have surfaced showing him plugging into the right out put to us the cascade mod. He could have using it in the studio at some point.
friday

Post by friday »

marshall started in 1962 . 1982 was the 20th anniversary model = WHITE , they wouldve been released in late 1981

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Marshall-2 ... 43db36d509
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

friday wrote:marshall started in 1962 . 1982 was the 20th anniversary model = WHITE , they wouldve been released in late 1981

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Marshall-2 ... 43db36d509
Randy ordered his white Marshall amps early in 1980, during the writing of BOO. Didn't he send a postcard home where he talked about visiting the Marshall factory and ordering his amps in white?
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The post card is mentioned here in detail ...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2570&hilit=post+card
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

What's the difference in the cascade mod and bridging the high low inputs like on a plexi style amp? Also Randy was just getting his first taste of fame. I can see him wanting to leave the band he was in, but had he made that live album and finished the tour his fame would have been even greater I believe. For most people that's hard to walk away from. Granted he was a great rock guitarist that's a given, studying classical guitar is one thing, but becoming a great classical guitar player and make a living at it is a completely different matter. His QR material was nothing out of this world. The Genre he shined in was Metal. You have to make a living some way. I can't see him going back to teaching. It's all moot to begin with but the Ozzy+Bob+Randy thing was rare magic. That is tough to walk away from unless you know you can do better.

By the way I am great friends with a guy I fought with one time. Actually I have been in minor fist fights with several different friends. I always figured that was not so uncommon a thing to happen between friends. If it had been that serious a deal Randy could have filed charges and had grounds to get out of his contract.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

a charge has nothing to do with a signed contract
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

distortionplus wrote:Did Randy use his white Marshall on the Diary Tour? I see three black Marshall stacks in the TX sound check video.
Yes he did, $haron didn't want to have the amps visible for the audience when using the castle stage, that's why the white amp and white cabs were covered in front with black tape. As you can see the white Marshall is still there at bottom right (with another head stacked on it) and the white cabs are blacktaped in front, even all the white Marshall logo's are taped: :P

The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
that is a great photo ... white head backwards :lol:
friday

Post by friday »

is that a tour shirt the guys got?
whats going on with the leads top and bottom heads ?