MIKE BORDIN Says Re-Recording Drum Parts On Classic OZZY ...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIKE BORDIN Says Re-Recording Drum Parts On Classic OZZY

Post by skezza »

Trujillo was awful on the recordings, so so poor.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

have never heard the re-recordings and have no intention of ever listening to them ... I have to much respect for randy to do that
friday

Post by friday »

Ive never heard them either
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I heard them once. I had recently introduced a younger generation fella to some of my favorite music. Got him hooked on Randy and Ozzy. So one day I went to his house and we were going to a movie or something and he offered to drive. Got in the car and he told me he got the new Blizzard remaster. So he puts it on and I was like WTF is this???!!! I was freaking out. Him, not being as familiar with the recordings and being a non musician thought I was crazy. I open the booklet and that is where I discovered what had been done. I listed to a couple of songs and couldn't believe how bad they were.. No offense to Rob or Mike, but you can't fuck with magic.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Remedylane wrote:I heard them once. I had recently introduced a younger generation fella to some of my favorite music. Got him hooked on Randy and Ozzy. So one day I went to his house and we were going to a movie or something and he offered to drive. Got in the car and he told me he got the new Blizzard remaster. So he puts it on and I was like WTF is this???!!! I was freaking out. Him, not being as familiar with the recordings and being a non musician thought I was crazy. I open the booklet and that is where I discovered what had been done. I listed to a couple of songs and couldn't believe how bad they were.. No offense to Rob or Mike, but you can't fuck with magic.
Spot on.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

While I won't argue that the originals are infinitely better in every way imaginable, I don't think it's fair to blame Robert Trujillo or Mike Bordin for the shitty 2002 "remasters". They were lackies, for lack of a better word, to the Osbournes and according to Mike's statement he didn't even know that's what they were going to do. Knowing how Sharon operates, I can easily believe that. What would you expect Robert Trujillo or Mike Bordin to do in a situation like that? Stay with the Osbournes and make some money at the cost of ruining 2 great records, or say no to it, get fired from the band entirely, have the Osbournes find some other musicians to do the parts and in the end just lose out on the money from redoing those records and possible future Ozzy albums too? (I'm sure it wasn't a shit ton of money, probably just a small payout for their time on it, but still)
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I listened to them a few times, there was definitely some new randy stuff on them that you could not really hear before since they were so low in the mix. The pick slide right before the solo in crazy train was brought way up front on the re-recordings for example. I didn't even know it was there prior to hearing those versions, now I hear t all the time, just barely though. I may have to give them another listened through the headphones I remember there being a lot more stuff like that coming out.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Shockwave wrote:I listened to them a few times, there was definitely some new randy stuff on them that you could not really hear before since they were so low in the mix. The pick slide right before the solo in crazy train was brought way up front on the re-recordings for example. I didn't even know it was there prior to hearing those versions, now I hear t all the time, just barely though. I may have to give them another listened through the headphones I remember there being a lot more stuff like that coming out.
Totally forgot about that, I do remember thinking the guitar sounded so much clearer upon my first listen when it came out.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

friday wrote:Ive never heard them either
+1
However I got told by someone who heard them that the only 'positive' thing was that Randy's guitar stood out more in these re-recordings?
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

2002 Remasters (my nephew gave them to me as a joke),didn't last 3 months a beer coasters in my house.
barossadude

Post by barossadude »

Even though I've heard only 2 songs from the 2002 Remasters - Crazy Train & Mr Crowley - I can't agree more that they sound woeful / butchered compared to the original version. BUT what did take me by surprise is how clear & chunky the guitar work on both Crazy Train & Mr Crowley sounds. (my ears just melt when I hear that "chunky" Les Paul sound - especially when it's Randy playing his LP) It definitely stands out more on the 2002 versions than the 2011 30th anniversary versions IMHO sorry to say...
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Is there a way to extract just the guitar parts from the remasters?
friday

Post by friday »

^^ Im sure thats called sampling ;)
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Unfortunately ive heard the 2002 recordings , i thought it was some kind of charity thing , i couldnt believe what i was hearing. I didnt know whether to laugh or cry.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Matlike1

Post by Matlike1 »

The 2002 Bark at the Moon remaster was sad too, Jake's guitars are virtually non-existent. I'll keep my 95 remaster which to me sounds the best of any version.