MIKE BORDIN Says Re-Recording Drum Parts On Classic OZZY ...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

fortress
Madman

MIKE BORDIN Says Re-Recording Drum Parts On Classic OZZY ...

Post by fortress »

In a brand new interview with Radio.com, FAITH NO MORE drummer Mike Bordin spoke about his involvement in the controversial 2002 re-recordings of the drum and bass parts on OZZY OSBOURNE's classic first two solo albums, 1980's "Blizzard Of Ozz" and 1981's "Diary Of A Madman".

The tracks originally played by Bob Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake on both albums were replaced on the reissue by Bordin and Robert Trujillo (now in METALLICA) after Daisley and Kerslake sued Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne over royalties. They were restored for the 30th-anniversary editions.

Asked if it was weird to play drums on the re-recordings of "Blizzard Of Ozz" and "Diary Of A Madman", Bordin — who was part of Osbourne's solo band from 1996 to 2010 — told Radio.com: "That was really kind of a fucked up thing… That wasn't what I was going in expecting to do [when I went into the studio to record those tracks]. So, that's all I'll say about it. I'm not ever going to throw anyone under the bus, ever. But when it turned out that that's what the reason was [for re-recording those tracks]… I never knew that. That doesn't lessen the fact that it happened. But that wasn't the way that it was presented to me at all. It was weird."

He continued: "I will say this: to hear the original guitar, bass and drum tracks in my headphones while I was recording, was one of the most insane things that I will probably ever experience. I also think I heard some guitar solos that I'd never heard before."

Bordin went on to say: "There's a reason why those albums are so good, and why people love them so much. They're magical. That's down to all the guys who made those albums. Far be it from me to ever want to fuck with that. It's something to be treasured."

After Bordin was reminded that the original albums were eventually restored for the 30th-anniversary editions, he said: "They had to [do that]. It was just weird."

Ozzy told The Pulse of Radio he was against the idea of replacing the original tracks when he found out about it. "Believe me, it wasn't my doing," he said. "I mean, I didn't know that was being done, 'cause Sharon was fighting all the legal things that were going down at the time. I said, 'What did you do that for?' And she said, 'The only way I could stop everything was if it went to that level.' And I said, 'You know what, whatever the circumstances were, I want the original thing back.' I mean, I wouldn't have done that."

Daisley told Rock Cellar in a 2012 interview that the 30th-anniversary reissues of both albums could have featured the material as bonus content. He explained, "I offered to supply tapes of our rehearsals and writing sessions, to go as proper bonus material. And I just said that I wanted a royalty out of it, because it's my stuff. But they wouldn't do it because they didn't want to give me a royalty — they just wanted to buy it."

Daisley said that he and Kerslake were fired because of disagreements with Sharon over a number of things, including refusing to do two shows in one day out of worry that Ozzy would blow out his voice.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/faith- ... xHyzHpf.99
fortress
Madman

Re: MIKE BORDIN Says Re-Recording Drum Parts On Classic OZZY

Post by fortress »

Someone posted this comment and i agree

Reading between the lines he is saying Sharon told him that Ozzy wanted to re-record both of those records and it turns out Sharon only wanted the drums and bass replaced. That is dirty.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Just listened to Chris Jericho's podcast and his guest was Robert Trujillo. Rob said he didn't remember much from that situation because it was a bit ago but basically he just did what he was asked.

He did praise Bob's bass playing but didn't say much else regarding the re-recording of the bass and drum tracks.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

orion_damage wrote:Just listened to Chris Jericho's podcast and his guest was Robert Trujillo. Rob said he didn't remember much from that situation because it was a bit ago but basically he just did what he was asked.

He did praise Bob's bass playing but didn't say much else regarding the re-recording of the bass and drum tracks.
Well, I guess that unlike Bob Daisley, Trujillo was paid a fee for trying to play the bass lines that Bob Daisley wrote so what else is there to say?
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote:
orion_damage wrote:Just listened to Chris Jericho's podcast and his guest was Robert Trujillo. Rob said he didn't remember much from that situation because it was a bit ago but basically he just did what he was asked.

Well, I guess that unlike Bob Daisley, Trujillo was paid a fee for trying to play the bass lines that Bob Daisley wrote so what else is there to say?

There's plenty more he could have said if he were privy to what was going on. Other aspects he could have spoken about include the reason he was told to re-record, the difficulty or lack thereof in playing Bob's bass lines or any personal stories in the recording process.

There's certainly more to the discussion than Bob didn't get paid but Rob did.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

There's plenty more he could have said if he were privy to what was going on. Other aspects he could have spoken about include the reason he was told to re-record, the difficulty or lack thereof in playing Bob's bass lines or any personal stories in the recording process.

He was hired, and was paid, to do a job and apparently didn't give a fuck or even know what he was doing. Randy was dead, he didn't have a say in the matter, what else is there to know that matters?
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Trujillo Sucks!!!!!!
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote:

He was hired to do a job and apparently didn't give a fuck or even know what he was doing. Randy was dead, he didn't have a say in the matter, what else is there to know?

It's as simple as what makes you curious may not make me curious. Either way, we're beginning to derail the OP's post so I digress.

Oh and Rob most certainly doesn't suck at bass. Let's not be blinded here.

Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Really? According to my ears , on BOO & DOAM the bloke sucks big time!!!
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Sky wrote: He was hired, and was paid, to do a job and apparently didn't give a fuck or even know what he was doing. Randy was dead, he didn't have a say in the matter, what else is there to know that matters?
This is most likely what happened. He just didn't care what they were going to do. And if I was in that situation I probably would have done the same thing. The O camp probably didn't tell them that they were going to re do those 2 albums and add their stuff to it.

They were all just hired help to begin with. It is one thing that has always bugged me about Ozzy. Is that it is "his show". And to a point sure. That is one reason I still have not seen him live because he is always switching it up. I wish he treated his band mates as band mates and not employees.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote:

But you're going to be biased so of course he's going to suck.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

orion_damage wrote:
Sky wrote:

But you're going to be biased so of course he's going to suck.
Again, really? Are my ears biased? Have you listened to the re-recordings? IMO they're a pathetic attempt at the original albums irrespective of why Sharon saw fit to pay session musicians to re-record them. Of course that reflects badly on the musicians involved, particularly when Max Norman refused to be involved for all the right reasons. Can you honestly say that you prefer the 2002 recordings? Are they music to your ears?
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Borden and Trujillio should sue the Osbournes for removing them from the albums lol.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Trujillio sounded bad on the Blizzard & Diary recordings, Bordin did as well. However, they both have done some pretty good stuff before and after those recordings...

As for Bordin "thinking" he heard different solos, I would doubt that. Unless they recorded to demo tracks and then had their parts added to the original tracks (which would account for the final product sounding so bad)
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote:
Again, really? Are my ears biased? Have you listened to the re-recordings? IMO they're a pathetic attempt at the original albums irrespective of why Sharon saw fit to pay session musicians to re-record them. Of course that reflects badly on the musicians involved, particularly when Max Norman refused to be involved for all the right reasons. Can you honestly say that you prefer the 2002 recordings? Are they music to your ears?

I'm not trying to be offensive in my comments but it's natural to be biased since Bob is your friend. I'd be the same way. I haven't listened to the 2002 recordings in a long time but I don't recall anyone sucking. For the record I absolutely prefer the original recordings as the 2002 recordings don't enter my mind when I think of Ozzy's discography.

It's pretty much fact that Rob is a talented bass player. If he weren't he wouldn't have been in Metallica for the past 12 years or however long it's been.