Yngwie Malmsteen in 1978 VS Randy Rhoads in 1978

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

romeorose2

Yngwie Malmsteen in 1978 VS Randy Rhoads in 1978

Post by romeorose2 »

I just downloaded The Magic 1978 Sessions CD by Yngwie Malmsteen, don't know if it's commercially available or only through torrents.

Up until hearing that I didn't think Yngwie put out any recorded music until after Randy died...

But he did. And these 1978 recordings showcase Yngwie in very close form to the Yngwie of the 80's...

With that said... I have to give extra points to Yngwie because it looks like he had mastered most elements of Shred before Randy had really started putting the pieces together, sure Randy had a few moments with the Spotlight solo with Quiet Riot in was it 78 or 79... but nothing at that time to the level that Yngwie was at in these 1978 recordings.

With that said I can understand why Yngwie never acts that blown away by Randy when people ask him what did he think of Rhoads in interviews.

I still like Randy Rhoads better than Yngwie, but it's a close 2nd.

I have always wondered, did Randy ever know anything about the existence of Yngwie Malmsteen, and did Randy ever hear any music of Malmsteen?

I think had Randy lived he would have put out instrumental CDs similar to Yngwie, and also similar to Yngwie's Japan Philharmonic Orchestra Concerto in E, I think Randy would have done a CD of songs eventually backed by a classical orchestra.

I always thought Randy did the classical metal thing first, but looks like Yngwie beat him to it.

Randys stronger points though where combining Rhythm with Leads. Yngwie is not as good at adding chords and playing Rhythms, Yngwie can noodle a bit too much and too long with the soloing, whereas Randy created a piece of WHOLE music that was more than just the noodling of a long solo. Randy also played with more diversity and he was much, much more melodic.... whereas Yngwie wasn't and so many of his songs sound so similar as a consequence and tend to get boring or uninteresting quick.

But if yall haven't heard the songs on this 1978 Magic Session, download it somewhere and check it out.
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Yngwie Malmsteen in 1978 VS Randy Rhoads in 1978

Post by Tito »

good observation.checkin it tomorrow.thanks romeo!
friday

Post by friday »

malmsteen was 15 and RR was 22 in 1978 . Blackmore is supposed to be the classic influence for malmsteen
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

romeorose2 wrote:I just downloaded The Magic 1978 Sessions CD by Yngwie Malmsteen, don't know if it's commercially available or only through torrents.

Up until hearing that I didn't think Yngwie put out any recorded music until after Randy died...

But he did. And these 1978 recordings showcase Yngwie in very close form to the Yngwie of the 80's...

With that said... I have to give extra points to Yngwie because it looks like he had mastered most elements of Shred before Randy had really started putting the pieces together, sure Randy had a few moments with the Spotlight solo with Quiet Riot in was it 78 or 79... but nothing at that time to the level that Yngwie was at in these 1978 recordings.

With that said I can understand why Yngwie never acts that blown away by Randy when people ask him what did he think of Rhoads in interviews.

I still like Randy Rhoads better than Yngwie, but it's a close 2nd.

I have always wondered, did Randy ever know anything about the existence of Yngwie Malmsteen, and did Randy ever hear any music of Malmsteen?

I think had Randy lived he would have put out instrumental CDs similar to Yngwie, and also similar to Yngwie's Japan Philharmonic Orchestra Concerto in E, I think Randy would have done a CD of songs eventually backed by a classical orchestra.

I always thought Randy did the classical metal thing first, but looks like Yngwie beat him to it.

Randys stronger points though where combining Rhythm with Leads. Yngwie is not as good at adding chords and playing Rhythms, Yngwie can noodle a bit too much and too long with the soloing, whereas Randy created a piece of WHOLE music that was more than just the noodling of a long solo. Randy also played with more diversity and he was much, much more melodic.... whereas Yngwie wasn't and so many of his songs sound so similar as a consequence and tend to get boring or uninteresting quick.

But if yall haven't heard the songs on this 1978 Magic Session, download it somewhere and check it out.

Comparing Randy and Yngwie is not really a fair comparison. Yngwie was classical with dashes of metal whereas Randy was metal with dashes of classical. So I'm not sure Randy aspired to have the sound of what Yngwie would be known for. I doubt Randy ever heard Yngwie's music either. Another factor is technique, I mean Yngwie sweeps like it's going out of style and Randy didn't at all. The pedal tone licks have been around for a while.

But I think it's been discussed several times that the "classical metal" thing had been done prior to both Randy and Yngwie.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Malmsteen is a monster player and his technique was amazing back in the day before his car wreck.

Malmsteen is boring though. He does a lot of the same thing over and over and over. Sorta like how Zakk is now. Tons of the same licks maybe in a different key.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Yeah,, although I really dig Yngwie from time to time, I rather listen to the man he borrowed the most from :)
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Stiltzkin wrote:ymp, although I really dig Yngwie from time to time, I rather listen to the man he borrowed the most from :)

What does "ymp" stand for?
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

Malmsteen does nothing for me emotionally. Technically, he's brilliant. But I've never felt a personal connection to his playing. It's almost like "paint by numbers" but at a very high proficient level. On top of that, I never thought he was a good songwriter (which is part of that connection thing). Randy's playing has feeling and emotion in addition to the great technical aspects. And, of course, the two Ozzy records are loaded with classic cuts. Just my opinion.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

It's the chicken before the egg scenario....who ever was the innovator of that style it wasn't cast in stone and everyone took it in their own style. Yeah EVH was the guy who everyone seen he was the guy out on tour while Randy was waiting for his break. He was the under dog in this time of actually witnessing the guy playing live etc. Yngwie is a major player but when you have guys like him Vai Satriani and multi amounts of other new players who are much more up on the game as players and have had the time to develope into much superior players. We never seen Randy do this, so we just have to put a stop on what we would of liked to of seen the guy develope too. So we cannot really judge who would of been the true axeman and the guy who would of been the ultimate guitarist legend.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

orion_damage wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:ymp, although I really dig Yngwie from time to time, I rather listen to the man he borrowed the most from :)

It stands for stupid phone auto correct :lol:
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Stiltzkin wrote:
orion_damage wrote:

It stands for stupid phone auto correct :lol:
Haha cool, I swear I sat at my PC for like 5 minutes trying to figure out what it meant before just asking. :P
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The recorded works of Randy in 1978 were Quiet Riot which was 70's glam. Yngwie was never glam in any sense, so the recordings would show a difference in technical proficiency. I've heard enough of Randy playing during lessons to know that what was recorded (even live) with Quiet Riot was not who he was as a player.

Ultimately guitar playing is not a competition. It's very subjective.

Personally, I have paid no attention to Yngwie since the first Alcatrazz record. I listened to that and thought the songs were okay but that the solos simply didn't fit the songs. As a result, I never had an interest in listening to him play.
friday

Post by friday »

RR solos are restricted to fit the song ,its structured and it works , people want more . YJM gives more and more and its too much to take in , that goes for all guitarist
romeorose2

Post by romeorose2 »

Yeah. Randy Rhoads was the total package. He had the perfect balance of rhytnm playing chords, riffs, fills, licks, solos, and noises/effects. It all came together perfectly. And really, when you learn Randys songs, the solos and riffs, none of it is that difficult to play. You don't have to be the fastest guitarists like Batio to play his songs, nor do you have to do advanced tecniques like Yngwies sweep picking to do Randys music. Randys solos are easy for me to play, because they have this natural flow to them. They seem so logical and thought out, the patterns and stuff really make sense and feel organic. The legato, hammer on/pulls offs really help with the sense of speed in his solos. A great combo of alternate picking with legato runs mixed in, easy to play that style with good speed, almost plays itself. Of course playing stuff is one thing, easy, but composing stuff that is as great as what Randy cpomposed that's where the true talent and skill comes in, the true genius. Even the way Randy timed his licks and solos, seemed like he wrote stuff that would be easy to play night after night, it all just has a real natural flow to it. Plus the melody of it all is so memorable, it sings, and it's easier to play because of that as well. He made the music so interesting & exciting with all those little quick fills and noises he'd throw in here and there. Yeah, I see how him & Yngwie differed, Yngwie was more full on classical with a little metal, Randy was a lot of Metal with a little classical. But I always felt if Randy had left Ozzy he would have evolved into leaning more heavier on the classical side, that's why I always thought he'd sounded a little closer to Yngwie, but better. But of course we will never know. No guitar player has ever made me want to pick up my guitar and play more so than Randy Rhoads. Lots of guitarists can do this better or that better, faster, more advanced, more theory smart, etc whatever, but Randy was the total package, no other metal guitar player has ever been able to come close to that. Of course it also helped that Randy had Ozzy who is one of metals best singers, if not for his vocal skill, then for his unique voice, and a world class backing band with Tommy Aldridge. The lyrics, the songs, structure, all of it was really perfect. And yes in the lessons Randy gave, you can for sure hear he was wanting to do so much more than that 70s glam. I wish Frank would release or leak all the tapes of lessons he has... I think that is a holy grail right there, all the insight. He has a whole box of them. I hope we get to hear those soon, because I love the two that's been online all these years and can only imagine how awesome the others are. Hope PM releases his one day as well.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

+1 to all that

romeorose2 wrote:Yeah. Randy Rhoads was the total package. He had the perfect balance of rhytnm playing chords, riffs, fills, licks, solos, and noises/effects. It all came together perfectly. And really, when you learn Randys songs, the solos and riffs, none of it is that difficult to play. You don't have to be the fastest guitarists like Batio to play his songs, nor do you have to do advanced tecniques like Yngwies sweep picking to do Randys music. Randys solos are easy for me to play, because they have this natural flow to them. They seem so logical and thought out, the patterns and stuff really make sense and feel organic. The legato, hammer on/pulls offs really help with the sense of speed in his solos. A great combo of alternate picking with legato runs mixed in, easy to play that style with good speed, almost plays itself. Of course playing stuff is one thing, easy, but composing stuff that is as great as what Randy cpomposed that's where the true talent and skill comes in, the true genius. Even the way Randy timed his licks and solos, seemed like he wrote stuff that would be easy to play night after night, it all just has a real natural flow to it. Plus the melody of it all is so memorable, it sings, and it's easier to play because of that as well. He made the music so interesting & exciting with all those little quick fills and noises he'd throw in here and there. Yeah, I see how him & Yngwie differed, Yngwie was more full on classical with a little metal, Randy was a lot of Metal with a little classical. But I always felt if Randy had left Ozzy he would have evolved into leaning more heavier on the classical side, that's why I always thought he'd sounded a little closer to Yngwie, but better. But of course we will never know. No guitar player has ever made me want to pick up my guitar and play more so than Randy Rhoads. Lots of guitarists can do this better or that better, faster, more advanced, more theory smart, etc whatever, but Randy was the total package, no other metal guitar player has ever been able to come close to that. Of course it also helped that Randy had Ozzy who is one of metals best singers, if not for his vocal skill, then for his unique voice, and a world class backing band with Tommy Aldridge. The lyrics, the songs, structure, all of it was really perfect. And yes in the lessons Randy gave, you can for sure hear he was wanting to do so much more than that 70s glam. I wish Frank would release or leak all the tapes of lessons he has... I think that is a holy grail right there, all the insight. He has a whole box of them. I hope we get to hear those soon, because I love the two that's been online all these years and can only imagine how awesome the others are. Hope PM releases his one day as well.