Ozzy calls Randy gay?...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Ozzy calls Randy gay?...

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

I do not know how many of you have heard the Chelmsford show from 1980, but at the very end of Revelation (Mother Earth), right before suicide solution, Ozzy says "This next song features Randy Rhoads on lead guitar, who is also gay....... suicide solution!"

Now obviously it was probably a joke, but the way he says it sounds like he's serious. heres is the link if you haven't heard it. It is in the last 15 seconds or so of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiY9b4l77ws
I went ahead and rode the white horse
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ozzy calls Randy gay?...

Post by skezza »

Ahh, just Ozzy's shenanigans if you ask me. Certainly nothing unpleasant or nasty behind it. Don't forget, their friendship around this time was pretty solid. They'd just recorded the Blizzard album which had been a great success and they were now touring. Randy was playing bigger gigs than he ever had with QR and this was his big break. I imagine they'd all been goofing around and perhaps Randy had dared him to say it or something stupid like that. Their friendship didn't really strain until the Diary tour.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I think it was part of Ozzy's drunken humor... no matter if he was drunk or not!!! I've always found it bit silly, tho'... But it didn't ruin the great show!!! :)
Mikel
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Probably a back story to it, maybe someone thought/called Randy gay or something along those lines within a few days of that show and the band gave him shit for it.

Maybe Ozzy saw some promo pictures of QR before the show and was goofing on Randy because of it, I could definitely see that being the case.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Shockwave wrote:Probably a back story to it, maybe someone thought/called Randy gay or something along those lines within a few days of that show and the band gave him shit for it.

Maybe Ozzy saw some promo pictures of QR before the show and was goofing on Randy because of it, I could definitely see that being the case.
Haha I've thought the same with the QR pictures.

I'd equate it to things like James Hetfield calling Kirk Hammett "Kirk Hamster" before his solo spot. Nothing more than a bit of fun.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Ozzy asked him if he was gay when he first met him and they made some joke of it and Randy said he was Church of England C.O.E Catholic. Something is mentioned about this on the opening page of the 1980 tour programme. I think it was down to Randy being femining and looking 'girlie' like. Plus Randy used to wear woman's clothes so that wouldn't of done him any favours. But joking aside i bet any man would of liked the attention Randy received from woman any day.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i bet randy laughed and thought, yeah im so gay i banged your girl a few weeks back!!!!!!!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Honestly I never gave the 1980 boots a listen more than a few seconds because of the quality. I listed to the one posted above, mainly just the solo until the end and noticed a couple things..

Even though the solo sounds great it sounds like Randy is really pushing it it like it's difficult to play live, stiff sounding. Either that or he is picking a lot more of the notes during this time. Just sounds a 100x more fluid on the 81 and later shows. Or maybe it's the bourbon I'm drinking making it seem like that lol

The other thing is that he used the PDV for the 1980 shows it sounds like, that's definitely not the LP do to the trem parts here and there.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Tito wrote:i bet randy laughed and thought, yeah im so gay i banged your girl a few weeks back!!!!!!!
Well it was nothing to be proud of and yeah he did bang Ozzy's girl..? / Beast!!!
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Shockwave wrote:Honestly I never gave the 1980 boots a listen more than a few seconds because of the quality. I listed to the one posted above, mainly just the solo until the end and noticed a couple things..

Even though the solo sounds great it sounds like Randy is really pushing it it like it's difficult to play live, stiff sounding. Either that or he is picking a lot more of the notes during this time. Just sounds a 100x more fluid on the 81 and later shows. Or maybe it's the bourbon I'm drinking making it seem like that lol

The other thing is that he used the PDV for the 1980 shows it sounds like, that's definitely not the LP do to the trem parts here and there.
Don't forget they were still raw as a band here and while Randy was shit hot, fluidity comes with repetition. He was at his best in 1981 for sure.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

LongRhoadsAhead wrote:Now obviously it was probably a joke, but the way he says it sounds like he's serious. heres is the link if you haven't heard it. It is in the last 15 seconds or so of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiY9b4l77ws
We miss Ozzy's facial expression here but you can hear some people laughing right after that, so they took it as a joke. :)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Tito wrote:i bet randy laughed and thought, yeah im so gay i banged your girl a few weeks back!!!!!!!
The gay dig was typical of Ozzy's humour. Back then both Ozzy and Randy were banging Adrian William's girl.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

nice!!!!!!!!
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

Sky wrote:
The gay dig was typical of Ozzy's humour. Back then both Ozzy and Randy were banging Adrian William's girl.
I wish i knew who that was?
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Donnie wrote:
Sky wrote:
I wish i knew who that was?
Adrian worked for Jet records, he was Sharon's boyfriend back then, and he's the 'A' in SATO.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley