Diary of a Madman guitar intro

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro

Post by Tito »

we can bitch and moan all we want but as far as the walk of fame star and hall of fame,its never gonna happen.i would bet more young people these days know who jim croce was or valens or holly compared to who the hell wrote those riffs and beutiful solos on ozzys 2 solo albums!randy got lost in the middle
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Tito wrote:we can bitch and moan all we want but as far as the walk of fame star and hall of fame,its never gonna happen.i would bet more young people these days know who jim croce was or valens or holly compared to who the hell wrote those riffs and beutiful solos on ozzys 2 solo albums!randy got lost in the middle
Exactly.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Tito wrote:we can bitch and moan all we want but as far as the walk of fame star and hall of fame,its never gonna happen.i would bet more young people these days know who jim croce was or valens or holly compared to who the hell wrote those riffs and beutiful solos on ozzys 2 solo albums!randy got lost in the middle
That's partly down to the way his legacy has been handled though. It's been one disaster to the next.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

skezza wrote:
That's partly down to the way his legacy has been handled though. It's been one disaster to the next.
There in lies the real issue. And it is a shame.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

dannyahansen wrote:
skezza wrote:
There in lies the real issue. And it is a shame.
It is a shame. Nothing we can do now though. It's probably too late for Randy at the end of the day, the ship has sailed regarding his rightful place on the walk of fame, and also perhaps his long-lasting historical significance. Fewer and fewer young guitarists have ever even heard of Randy Rhoads, despite his place as one of the most influential and important guitarists of the 20th century. If they have heard of him, they just think of 'that guy who died in a plane crash'. They've all heard of that clown Matt Bellamy out of Muse who can barely play guitar and they've all heard of Alex Turner out of the Arctic Monkeys who wears it better than he plays it. Randy's name will potentially be forgotten in generations to come unless someone does something about it. I really believed the documentary would be the final piece, but after dealing with Margolis early in the process I quickly realized what a spanner he was. Bob Daisley's opinion only confirmed my suspicions.

The best we can hope is that this never happens again. I doubt we'll ever have another guitar revolution like we did in the 60's, 70's and 80's, but if someone does come along who is as important as Randy Rhoads, then surely his legacy must be handled in a way befitting that of an important historical figure.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

You have to remember Randy has been dead 33 years and he is still featured in a lot of magazines. You see features in webzines, FB pages and forums like UR. Does Randy still get mentioned in guitarist polls ? i know they are a croc of shite but its recognition and if he is still seen in a list it's proof he is still being remembered. He still gets mentioned lots in the guitar forums and is in guitar mags regular and i'm sure he will still be talked about when i'm not here. Many old school guitarists get forgotten about and i'm sure Randy is not alone. Paul Kossoff comes to mind and he was another guitarist who died at a young age. Rory Gallagher is another guy who has a fan base but he just doesn't get the recognition he deserves. I could list loads but i'll not, he is remembered and i honestly don't think it has any connection to a legacy or the lack of one. Any documentary or book can be watched and read and then forgotton about. It will be the music that will keep his name alive, sadly only a couple of albums worth and other live shows but he is still remembered and will be continued to be remembered. Amen!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

skezza wrote: It is a shame. Nothing we can do now though. It's probably too late for Randy at the end of the day, the ship has sailed regarding his rightful place on the walk of fame, and also perhaps his long-lasting historical significance.
Randy won't be on the walk of fame for one main reason:
Capture.JPG
Who would be paying the $30,000 sponsorship fee? I'm guessing a bronze star on a sidewalk simply isn't important to his family. Having said star would do nothing to further his standing in the public eye.
skezza wrote:Fewer and fewer young guitarists have ever even heard of Randy Rhoads, despite his place as one of the most influential and important guitarists of the 20th century.
Completely agree that fewer and fewer young guitarists know who Randy was.

However, I disagree on how influential he was. Great player, phenomenal talent but his "influence" waned years ago. For crying out loud the members of this community love to talk about Randy's guitars but the section about discussing his playing - and the playing of guitar in general - is ignored. If Randy were still influential, people would be discussing his use of diminished scales, modes, arpeggios, etc... but they are not. No one here posts videos of themselves covering Randy's solos like they did at RR.TK.

For the record, I think it's a shame that he is not so well known anymore. I think his contributions to the world of metal guitar were amazing and he should be as influential as Eddie. Unfortunately we live in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world. Young players now consider Hendrix and EVH to be hacks because they are living in a world where the bar has been raised to an unbelievable level. Forget the fact that Jimi and Eddie are the reason for the bar being so high. Randy fits into that group of "hacks" in the view of so many (no, not all) younger players.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
skezza wrote: It is a shame. Nothing we can do now though. It's probably too late for Randy at the end of the day, the ship has sailed regarding his rightful place on the walk of fame, and also perhaps his long-lasting historical significance.
Randy won't be on the walk of fame for one main reason:
Capture.JPG
Who would be paying the $30,000 sponsorship fee? I'm guessing a bronze star on a sidewalk simply isn't important to his family. Having said star would do nothing to further his standing in the public eye.
skezza wrote:Fewer and fewer young guitarists have ever even heard of Randy Rhoads, despite his place as one of the most influential and important guitarists of the 20th century.
Completely agree that fewer and fewer young guitarists know who Randy was.

However, I disagree on how influential he was. Great player, phenomenal talent but his "influence" waned years ago. For crying out loud the members of this community love to talk about Randy's guitars but the section about discussing his playing - and the playing of guitar in general - is ignored. If Randy were still influential, people would be discussing his use of diminished scales, modes, arpeggios, etc... but they are not. No one here posts videos of themselves covering Randy's solos like they did at RR.TK.

For the record, I think it's a shame that he is not so well known anymore. I think his contributions to the world of metal guitar were amazing and he should be as influential as Eddie. Unfortunately we live in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world. Young players now consider Hendrix and EVH to be hacks because they are living in a world where the bar has been raised to an unbelievable level. Forget the fact that Jimi and Eddie are the reason for the bar being so high. Randy fits into that group of "hacks" in the view of so many (no, not all) younger players.

For the size and amount of people who post in this forum all these sub forums are completely useless. At most there should be 4 sub forums..my bookmark is linked directly to the general forum, I rarely go to the other sections since they are dead and if anything there is one new post at most and it's not worth checking out usually. 95% of the time if you scroll for the last post on each of the sub forums it's not even close to today's date.

General
Audio/Video
Off Topic
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

This stuff about "younger" guitar players not even knowing who Randy Rhoads is kinda cracks me up, cuz i got news for ya, guitar driven hard rock /metal is pratically non existant anymore. Nobody cares about the "new young" players, lol, its all Taylor Swift type pop music that matters any more. And as much as you may not want to hear this, but the average music listener today is more into Rap music, which has out sold any metal music easily over the last 20 years, not even close. I lived and breathed hard rock/metal for over 40 years, and iv'e never seen it this dead..moribund. Weird thing is, all the other stuff i used to be into years ago, i could care less about. I see Van Halen videos or hear their music and i just cringe. Any video from the 80's, ugh!.As for "ships sailing", Gary Moore recently died, an amzing guitarist, and hardly a word was said about it. Its gonna take an amazing all around talent like Randy to bring glory back to our type of music, but, i just dont see it happening. For someone who was around for barely over a year, and died 33 years ago. Rhoads def left his mark. Dont wanna be a buzz kill here, but the fan base of all the great players from those years are starting to literally die, i mean christ, its been almost 40 years since Randy himself passed away. Metals glory days were the 80's and now were all just fading away.
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

oh, and i stand by what i posted before, let them find a lost song that Randy recorded from the Blizzard Or Diary sessions, i guarantee he'll be on the cover of all the guitar magazines. I still listen to those 2 records today, they are just great.
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

what the hell, while im at it, i read recently some fans got ahold of Eddie Trunk about doing a THAT METAL SHOW on Randy and he basically said 'what would be the point, everythings been said". I just watched the recent episode of TMS , and the guests were Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad and Ace Frehley. As usual, Frehley made zero sense, and Mark Farner???, He talked about a new dance record he was working on. Hilarious. Kirk Hammet was on there recently, and literally raved how he just learned the song 'DIARY OF A MADMAN" and said it was an amaziing testament to what a great songwriter that Randy was..crowd went crazy. Heres an idea for those guys. instead of Ace and Grand Funk Railroad, bring Randys brother and sister there, bring Randys guitars, explain what happened with the documentary etc.Now that would be a cool show. Mark Farner, good grief.
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

This is a review from a Seattle newspaper in 2011 for the 30th anniversay releases.

Music Review: Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz / Diary Of A Madman 30th Anniversary (Collector's Edition Box Set)
By Greg Barbrick, BLOGCRITICS.ORG
Published 1:35 pm, Saturday, May 28, 2011
Larger | Smaller
Printable Version
Email This
Font

Related content
Blog Critics
TV/Film Music
Sci/Tech Politics
dotted line

With the release of Blizzard Of Ozz in 1981, Ozzy Osbourne managed to pull off one of the most remarkable comebacks in rock history. It would not have been possible without the discovery of a young guitar prodigy named Randy Rhoads. The late guitarist only made two albums with Ozzy, Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman - yet his influence on metal remains huge to this day. In honor of these two landmark recordings, Sony Legacy has issued the commemorative Blizzard Of Ozz/Diary Of A Madman 30th Anniversary (Collector's Edition Box Set).

Deluxe is the operative word here. The set includes remastered editions of both albums on CD and vinyl for starters. The Blizzard disc adds three bonus tracks, but it is the two-disc Diary package that is the real prize. The second CD is titled Ozzy Live, and holds 11 previously unreleased live performances from the Blizzard tour. This is an absolutely scorching set, with Rhoads just peeling lick after lick off his guitar. The 8:34 version of "Suicide Solution" needs to heard to be believed, and they even dust off three old Sabbath tunes to close the night out.

Fans will also enjoy the DVD documentary Thirty Years After The Blizzard, which features interviews with luminaries such as Lemmy, Nikki Sixx, Ozzy himself, and many others. The DVD also has 30 minutes of recently discovered live footage from the Palladium in New York, filmed on May 2, 1981. Rounding out this definitive package is a 100-page coffee table book, a replica of the cross Ozzy wears, and a double-sided poster.

The extras included in the box will obviously appeal to his legion of fans, but there is more to the set than initially meets the eye. Besides being remastered, the discs have also been "restored." This is a record company euphemism to address an ugly incident that took place in 2002. Besides Osbourne and Rhoads, the band that recorded these two albums included Lee Kerslake (drums) and Bob Daisley (bass). The pair later sued for songwriting credits and unpaid royalties, which did not sit well with the Osbournes. Their tracks were removed and replaced by Ozzy stalwarts Robert Trujillo (bass), and Mike Bordin (drums).

Fans were outraged at this petty act, but until now those "new and improved" editions were all that were available. For the record, Ozzy has personally denied any involvement in the affair. Considering the participants, his claim of innocence rings true. I'm glad that everyone came to their senses and realized that no matter what, these two albums made history, and tampering with them was a foolish mistake.

In the Thirty Years After The Blizzard documentary, we see that Ozzy's abiding love for Randy Rhoads has not diminished a bit over the years. Rhoads' death in 1983 was one of the most senseless in all of rock. While on tour, the private pilot who was scheduled to ferry the band into the gig took Randy up for a quick joy ride. They buzzed the tour bus and the jackass pilot lost control, crashing and killing himself and Rhoads instantly.

There is a scene featuring Ozzy and producer Kevin Churko listening to some of the original tapes. At the end of one song, Randy is caught up in the momentum and continues playing an unbelievable solo. The solo was edited out, and Ozzy had never heard it before. He is visibly moved by it, and the moment captures a glimpse of the incredible bond and respect the two had for each other. It is a big part of the reason these two records have maintained such an enormous impact over the years.

Before Ozzy Osbourne became America's favorite befuddled dad, he and Randy Rhoads made ground-breaking music together. There is a reason "Crazy Train" and "Flying High Again" are played at pro sports venues across the country these days. They long ago left the metal ghetto, and have become a part of the national psyche. The marketing, the book, the collector's cross - in the end it is all extraneous to the music. Ozzy and Randy created something that will never be duplicated, and this set pays one hell of a tribute to it.

This about settles any issues about Randys legacy.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

So many things wrong with that review! It even states that Daisley and Kerslake sued for songwriting credits!
Interesting that you mentioned Gary Moore, and I agree with you there. Look at who Gary was signed to before and after BOO and DOAM were recorded, and who controls the catalogues and therefore his legacy.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

strontium90 wrote:This stuff about "younger" guitar players not even knowing who Randy Rhoads is kinda cracks me up, cuz i got news for ya, guitar driven hard rock /metal is pratically non existant anymore. Nobody cares about the "new young" players, lol, its all Taylor Swift type pop music that matters any more. And as much as you may not want to hear this, but the average music listener today is more into Rap music, which has out sold any metal music easily over the last 20 years, not even close. I lived and breathed hard rock/metal for over 40 years, and iv'e never seen it this dead..
Guitar based rock is pronounced dead all the time. Then it comes back. Again and again and again.

Old people who remember the 80's don't give any young players any credit. Old people who remember the 60's didn't give any 80's players any credit. It's an endless cycle.

I agree with you that rap and Taylor Swift is the current trend. However, Taylor Swift writes her own songs which sets her apart from most "divas". Sure you may not like her stuff, but she can create, therefore I give her respect. My kid LOVES her, so I pay attention. The other day I saw a video of her from the iHeart concert in Vegas and her guitarist was playing an EVH black/yellow striped guitar. There is hope, but it'll be a few years before before the resurrection takes place.
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

i actually like Taylor Swift, for what she does. Eminem's lyrics are outstanding etc. As for rap being a trend, well its been going on 30 years now, the white kids really took to it. The way they dress etc. However, i hope our kind of rock somehow comes back. Check this Texas band out, its almost a look at what could have been...the singer sounds alot like K evin Dubrow, even kind of looks like him, the guitarist is obvioulsy influenced by Randy, the white les paul etc. They are called Scorpion Child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGabnPz0bk