Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

strontium90

Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro

Post by strontium90 »

similar, but hardly note for note
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

Agree with Strontium90. And sometimes there's unconscious lifting/borrowing with there being only twelve notes and all....
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Vtrockgod wrote:Agree with Strontium90. And sometimes there's unconscious lifting/borrowing with there being only twelve notes and all....
Plus the rhythm and tempo of those "copied" chords are completely different.
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

most classical pieces are structured the same and are gonnna sound similar. Randy applied this, while in a heavy metal band., Ozzy Osbourne no less. In 1981!!! Talk about thinking out of the box. Brilliant player, just great. For what its worth, i saw that Joan Jett was inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame. There are no words.
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

strontium90 wrote:i saw that Joan Jett was inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame. There are no words.
Are you fuckin serious?
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

Joan Jett yes, Randy Rhoads no. Complete joke.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

personally I don't think randy should be in the RnR HoF...

he's far to good for that
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

sytharnia wrote:personally I don't think randy should be in the RnR HoF...

he's far to good for that
Since he seems to be more an open club these days, where you don't really need to do a whole lot, ie the bar is low. I agree with you.

It used to actually be a big deal to be in the R&R hall of fame.

Seems all sorts of things are getting the bar lowered.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

the hall of fame is a pile of shit!what do you need to qualify 20 years in the music business?i agree with you both.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I wonder who all will get inducted with Ozzy when he goes in? I know Sabbath was inducted but I didn't see Ozzy solo on that list. With KISS the Hall of Fame only wanted the original members so that makes it a bit tricky with Ozzy.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

orion_damage wrote:I wonder who all will get inducted with Ozzy when he goes in? I know Sabbath was inducted but I didn't see Ozzy solo on that list. With KISS the Hall of Fame only wanted the original members so that makes it a bit tricky with Ozzy.
it just be ozzy ... oh and sharon :lol:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Mention Joan Jett to the average rock fan and they will know who you are talking about. Mention Randy Rhoads and they will not. For that matter, the average guitar player doesn't know who Randy Rhoads is.

Joan Jett fronts a band with her name right out front. She is both singer and guitar player. She has a number of hits immediately identified with her name and image.

Randy has one song that most people have heard - Crazy Train - and that isn't a "Randy Rhoads" song, it's an Ozzy song. Randy Rhoads is and always will be a footnote to the history of rock. Phenomenal talent, good person, but not a major player historically.

Trash talking the Hall of Fame or the Walk of Fame or Rolling Stone's Reader's Poll will never change the fact that Randy is and never will be well known. Be happy you know who he was and can enjoy his achievements.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Mention Joan Jett to the average rock fan and they will know who you are talking about. Mention Randy Rhoads and they will not. For that matter, the average guitar player doesn't know who Randy Rhoads is.

Joan Jett fronts a band with her name right out front. She is both singer and guitar player. She has a number of hits immediately identified with her name and image.

Randy has one song that most people have heard - Crazy Train - and that isn't a "Randy Rhoads" song, it's an Ozzy song. Randy Rhoads is and always will be a footnote to the history of rock. Phenomenal talent, good person, but not a major player historically.

Trash talking the Hall of Fame or the Walk of Fame or Rolling Stone's Reader's Poll will never change the fact that Randy is and never will be well known. Be happy you know who he was and can enjoy his achievements.
Not sure this is all entirely accurate. I think a lot of people know who Randy is, that are guitar players.

I would be interested to know, if it could be done, if there really is a higher percentage that actually knows who Joan Jett is. I have heard one ore two of her songs on the radio but she is not some one that I really listen to. Who actually own's her albums? Who sites her as an influence? That to me is a bigger indicator of worthiness to the R&R Hall of Fame than just people that are familiar with a particular artist.

For the record I like Green Day. I see them as some what significant in the grand scheme of popular music. I think, though, they were inducted a bit prematurely.
friday

Post by friday »

RR wouldve been listening to Joan Jett on the radio . hall o fame is more to do with record sales
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Mention Joan Jett to the average rock fan and they will know who you are talking about. Mention Randy Rhoads and they will not. For that matter, the average guitar player doesn't know who Randy Rhoads is.

Hall of Fames usually mean greatness , and the RR Hall of Fame has lost all credibilty with these ridiculous , politically correct selections, Cat Stevens, Joan Jett etc. Laughable. So anyone that had a moderately popular record gets in. Any serious guitar player knows who Randy Rhoads is, 33 years after his death. Let them find one pro shot video, or one song that was lost. i garantee he'll be on the cover of every guitar magazine out there. Hes timeless. Sharon Osbourne did an good job of fooling the general public that her "Ozzy" was some kind of great songwriter. Most probably think Ozzy is playing guitar on those records, then again, were in the age of low information morons, as the past 2 presidential elections proved. But i digress. Rhoads is the last guitar player to do anything "different" on the guitar, a dazzling display of technique, coupled with an astonishing complex and difficult to play soloing style that no one has ever duplicated. Just too complex and hard. So your'e right, the "average" guitar player isnt gonna even try to play his stuff. Ask Bernie Torme. He got the surprise of his life when he tried. I myself sold a Randy Rhoads autograph for 1000.00 dollars, that about confirms how much of a "footnote" he was. Put his personal guitars up for auction, and see what they are worth. The only good thing to come from his untimely death, is that he'll never be on "THAT METAL SHOW", bald, fat, pathetically trying to relive his glory days. But hey, I LOVE ROCK AND ROLL, SO PUT ANOTHER DIME IN THE JUKE BOX BABY..BECUASE I HATE MYSELF FOR LOVING YOU. As i said, there are no words.