Diary of a Madman guitar intro

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

superbat777

Diary of a Madman guitar intro

Post by superbat777 »

check out Leo Brouwer etudes for original 1972 version copied almost note for note by Randy Rhoads
Leo is alive and well -cuban classical guitarist
Randy must have studied his etudes since one of them sounds exactly like his intro to Diary of a Madman guitar intro
superbat777

Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro

Post by superbat777 »

to be specific it is etude #6 Leo Brouwer
superbat777

Post by superbat777 »

look it up on youtube
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

thanks for that ... I'm sure in the 30 plus years of us being fans of randy we never knew that :roll:
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Randy did copy it, because Ozzy heard Randy playing it and liked it. Randy was also being sued because of it, but the lawsuit was dropped when they found out Randy had passed.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
superbat777

Post by superbat777 »

I assumed some people did not know this
I just saw Kirk Hammett Metallica band state on That Metal Show yesterday
that Randy was very talented in coming up with the intro to Diary of a Madman
I guess the big stars do not know this
maybe the hardcore fans already know this
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

My take, it was Ozzy's doing after overhearing the guitar lesson..But if you play, and you can play DOAM, there are so many other parts to the song that make it special..Definitely once of my favorites to jam too!
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

devorerd wrote:But if you play, and you can play DOAM, there are so many other parts to the song that make it special..Definitely once of my favorites to jam too!

Agreed, Diary is filled with great parts. Honestly I never think of the intro being copied unless someone mentions it.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Randy goes through the structure on the seminar recordings it sounds great...explaining the chords and scale etc.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Randy goes through the structure on the seminar recordings it sounds great...explaining the chords and scale etc.

I was always bummed they never played Diary live so the first time I got to listen to the seminar it was like musical heaven. I wish he would have played the solo but I'm so thankful he played all of the other bits.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

orion_damage wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Randy goes through the structure on the seminar recordings it sounds great...explaining the chords and scale etc.

I was always bummed they never played Diary live so the first time I got to listen to the seminar it was like musical heaven. I wish he would have played the solo but I'm so thankful he played all of the other bits.
I've always thought the reason they never did it live was due to the high notes. Ozzy was pretty wrecked at times. He struggled with stuff like Over the Mountain......
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

skezza wrote:
orion_damage wrote:

I've always thought the reason they never did it live was due to the high notes. Ozzy was pretty wrecked at times. He struggled with stuff like Over the Mountain......
I'm sure you're right. Not only would his voice break but he'd screw the lyrics up too. :P
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Shows you what a true musician he really was...Great Lesson...No way Ozzy could have pulled that song off live in those days (without the teleprompter)..just think how many times in Over the mountain he says .."mind on a carpet"...He would have butchered the bridge!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This is the seminar DOAM track here, if you have not heard it check it out its shit hot... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh9aU1HVd3M
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:This is the seminar DOAM track here, if you have not heard it check it out its shit hot... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh9aU1HVd3M
and a guaranteed emotional boner :wink: