New MEGADETH Guitarist KIKO LOUREIRO On RANDY RHOADS

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

chilinvilin
Cool Member

New MEGADETH Guitarist KIKO LOUREIRO On RANDY RHOADS

Post by chilinvilin »

New MEGADETH Guitarist KIKO LOUREIRO On RANDY RHOADS: 'He Was Like A Big Hero For Me'

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new-me ... ro-for-me/

Brazilian guitarist Kiko Loureiro (MEGADETH, ANGRA) was interviewed by IndiePower at the "Randy Rhoads Remembered: A Celebration Of A Guitar Legend" concert on Janaury 23 at The Observatory in Santa Ana, California. You can now watch the chat below.

Speaking about the influence Randy Rhoads (OZZY OSBOURNE, QUIET RIOT) had on his technique when he was first starting to learn how to play guitar, Kiko said: "I was a very young teenager when I started listening to… discovered Ozzy and then I discovered Randy Rhoads, and I was really, like, every day trying to learn his solos and his riffs — something that [was] really strong and that makes me the guitarist that I am today. So he's really a part of that. The way that he mixed classical music… I don't know… All the new techniques that were going on at that time in guitars. I was just a kid trying to learn guitar and he was like a big hero for me."

He added: "I love acoustic guitar — you know, classical guitar — and I know Randy was really into classical music and acoustic guitar. That brings you this peace inside you. And then you bring this to this rock moment. I don't know how to explain that, really. I think all the musicians could understand that. But, yeah, this mix of classical music, the scales, the peace that you have inside and you can express yourself through the guitar. So, mixing this rock and roll and the classical music; that was his approach that was really important for me."
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: New MEGADETH Guitarist KIKO LOUREIRO On RANDY RHOADS

Post by orion_damage »

Always cool to see people speaking highly of Randy.

I had no idea Meadeth got a new guitarist. I'll have to check this out. I assume he replaced Chris?
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

orion_damage wrote:Always cool to see people speaking highly of Randy.

I had no idea Meadeth got a new guitarist. I'll have to check this out. I assume he replaced Chris?
Yes, he did replace Chris Broderick. Drummer Shawn Drover, brother of former guitarist Glen Drover, also left a few months back. They've joined forces in another band.

It's sad; I've seen Megadeth about 5 times at different points in their career, and while Mustaine hires consistently solid players, none of them wish to stay around. Much as I love Megadeth and their music, I feel that the problem most likely lies with Dave Mustaine. Make no mistake, Mustaine himself is a monster player, but it seems his attitude rubs people the wrong way. And I don't care to listen to his political ramblings. Separate the art from the artist, and you're ok.

It's too bad; both Chris and Glen brought proficient, precise guitar work to the table, and it was unfortunate to see both depart the band. That being said, anyone who cites Randy as an influence I would enjoy seeing play.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

mustaine said the same thing when chris came into the band...some like "I have found my randy rhoads" so hes probably doomed to fail :lol:
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

He sounds good. The sad thing is that I have not like much new megadeth. I have not liked anything since Cryptic Writings.

Sure some if it sounded good, but it all sounded like meet and potatoes rock. Sort of like BLS.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

dannyahansen wrote:He sounds good. The sad thing is that I have not like much new megadeth. I have not liked anything since Cryptic Writings.

Sure some if it sounded good, but it all sounded like meet and potatoes rock. Sort of like BLS.
THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED has been one of my favourite albums of the last decade. Definitely my favourite Megadeth album of the last decade, for sure. They did that album, then released "just ok" albums to follow it up. Mustaine seems to be happy trying to follow a formula. I also think he's still jealous he never reached the commercial heights of Metallica, though, and I'm a Megadeth fan all the way. He's tried to capture that for awhile now (the commercial success), but nothing's gelled for him, unfortunately.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I liked a bit of united abomination (mainly the first half) .... one of my favourite mega songs is "die dead enough" off system. But in general most of the recent stuff is hard to listen to....public enemy off 13 was cool but the rest of the album was pretty average
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

I get what you are all are saying. And I do agree with. What I am comparing though is the monster albums of "Rest in Piece" and "Countdown to Extinction". The newer albums have good tunes but they have some really boring filler material too. That is essentially what I am talking about. I wish they made a whole album that rocked.

In retrospect, perhaps I am setting the bar too high though?

I am looking forward to seeing what the new guy does. It could be really really good.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

dannyahansen wrote:I get what you are all are saying. And I do agree with. What I am comparing though is the monster albums of "Rest in Piece" and "Countdown to Extinction". The newer albums have good tunes but they have some really boring filler material too. That is essentially what I am talking about. I wish they made a whole album that rocked.

In retrospect, perhaps I am setting the bar too high though?

I am looking forward to seeing what the new guy does. It could be really really good.
I think you are setting the bar quite high if you're comparing the albums of about the past five to ten years to those classics you mention above, RIP and CTE.

There's some good/great stuff on those albums, but they're not consistently excellent as those two classic albums you mentioned are, I agree.

Like yourself, I'm curious to see what this new guy brings to the table as well. My own take on this is that Mustaine's folly is to not let the newer members of his band contribute more meaningfully, musically. He's scared to let go of any control on the music. I understand to a degree, as it's his band, but maybe they'll bring something new to the table that will help the band turn the corner. Being so rigid about things stops that. That's what I think anyway, for what it's worth.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I haven't really listened to anything beyond Youthanasia unless it was on a greatest hits or something. I need to give his newer stuff a try though.

How's Dave's voice holding up? When I listened to Metallica's recent stuff I just couldn't get into it due to Hetfield's voice. His vocals have changed so much and I don't expect him to sound like he did in the 80's and early 90's so I do have realistic expectations.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

orion_damage wrote:I haven't really listened to anything beyond Youthanasia unless it was on a greatest hits or something. I need to give his newer stuff a try though.

How's Dave's voice holding up?
his voice was ok up until 13 ... on that to me he sounded awful. Apparently when he had the neck surgery it restricted his vocal chords so not sure if that can "heal" or not. Didn't hear super collider so can't comment on that
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Dave's voice is ok nowadays. It's certainly not as good as it once was, but it's alright, and fine for the material they're releasing.

The last couple of albums have been "meh". Not classics by any means, but tolerable. I feel that the rigid system which Dave has shoehorned them into has a lot to do with it. Dave's always been looking for Megadeth's version of Metallica's "Black" album, and it's never happened for him.