How Randy plays Paranoid and COTG in 82

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

How Randy plays Paranoid and COTG in 82

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

I have been absent a while, but still checking regularly but I had to make a thread about this. (I don't believe anyone else has). But man I am in awe of how amazing Randy plays paranoid and children of the grave specifically on the Diary shows in 82. If you haven't taken the time to really listen to his playing on them, I recommend listening to them from the Minneapolis, Kalamazoo and Milwaukee (all shows from 82). The fills are so awesome sounding to me. For paranoid it typically gets really awesome AFTER he finishes the solo, especially in Minneapolis show. I can't imagine how it would've sounded if he actually liked to play the song! Anyways I would love to hear if you guys think those 3 version rock as hard as I think they do. Take care everyone
I went ahead and rode the white horse
strontium90

Re: How Randy plays Paranoid and COTG in 82

Post by strontium90 »

That's what convinced me that Randy was the greatest i ever heard, after the way he played those Sabbath songs. Even after all these years, its still astounding, and really, he's just winging it. Those songs were like child's play for him. When you take someone elses songs, and make em better, that about says it all.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

strontium90 wrote:That's what convinced me that Randy was the greatest i ever heard, after the way he played those Sabbath songs. Even after all these years, its still astounding, and really, he's just winging it. Those songs were like child's play for him. When you take someone elses songs, and make em better, that about says it all.
I couldn't agree more. Normally when someone plays someone else's songs it can be cringe worthy and flat awful. But Randy in my opinion, played them amazingly and in his own way. Listening to his live recordings is too what really made me realize what an amazing and gifted guitarist he was. The best in my opinion.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I know Tribute was before 1982 but when I heard the solo he did for COTG I was floored with its' awesome. Now when I hear the original I still dig it but I prefer the Randy remakes.

The '82 Minneapolis show is one of my favorites by the way.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I love how he changes the verse parts in paranoid during later in the 82 tour form the shows we have.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Shockwave wrote:I love how he changes the verse parts in paranoid during later in the 82 tour form the shows we have.
I do too man it really makes the song even more awesome IMO. And the tone on the guitar is sweet too. i would love to have either minneapolis or kalamazoo pro shot... i know they more than likely don't exist but man i'd kill for it if it did :D
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

I agree with everyone statements here!! one thing I have always loved was in Iron Man on Tribute the squeals Randy does a couple times right before Ozzy starts singing the verses I'll have to 're-listen to some bootlegs thanks!!

LongRhoadsAhead wrote:I have been absent a while, but still checking regularly but I had to make a thread about this. (I don't believe anyone else has). But man I am in awe of how amazing Randy plays paranoid and children of the grave specifically on the Diary shows in 82. If you haven't taken the time to really listen to his playing on them, I recommend listening to them from the Minneapolis, Kalamazoo and Milwaukee (all shows from 82). The fills are so awesome sounding to me. For paranoid it typically gets really awesome AFTER he finishes the solo, especially in Minneapolis show. I can't imagine how it would've sounded if he actually liked to play the song! Anyways I would love to hear if you guys think those 3 version rock as hard as I think they do. Take care everyone
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

Didn't somebody say when the 2nd leg of the Dairy tour got underway.....in Atlanta,Randy blew everyone away with his playing/style. It was like he was on another level. It's a shame we will never know or hear because sadly after tonight (33 years ago),tragedy befell our Superman. :(

Man,I'm already blubbering.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

He was probably just more energized after having a couple weeks off and getting away from everything. But either way the comments that were said after the Atlanta show were most likely said after every show he played, they just mean more since it's one of his last shows.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

I hadn't heard anything said about his playing in the Atlanta show, but yes if its anything like any of his other shows i can definitely see why people were impressed to say the least
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

I am not a huge fan of Randy's playing on "Iron Man" but I love his rendition of "COTG" and there's some terrific moments when he does "Paranoid". If he had lived, I would have worn out the "SOTD" record. Even though Tony and Randy are completely different as guitar players, Randy's style actually lent itself well to a lot of the Sabbath catalogue.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

My favourite performance of Children is the Tribute show. That solo is fucking outstanding.

I think Randy would have done an awesome job of SOTD. Not to say Brad didn't, but Randy was an engineer. His playing would have been outstanding, like it always was.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

skezza wrote:My favourite performance of Children is the Tribute show. That solo is fucking outstanding.
+1

It's probably just me, but I do not really enjoy Randy's '82 live playing. The sound and fire he had in spring/summer '81 was all gone in '82. (to me at least) Lots of times it sounded like he was just bored and not inspired anymore. And what was done to his '82 rig that destroyed his wonderful '81 sound is still a mystery to me.... So yes, Cleveland '81 (Tribute) for sure is one of my favorite shows!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i agree with that dutch.alot of shows during that time he sounded like shit!like you said probably uninspired and tired of all the shit by that point.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
skezza wrote:My favourite performance of Children is the Tribute show. That solo is fucking outstanding.
+1

It's probably just me, but I do not really enjoy Randy's '82 live playing. The sound and fire he had in spring/summer '81 was all gone in '82. (to me at least) Lots of times it sounded like he was just bored and not inspired anymore. And what was done to his '82 rig that destroyed his wonderful '81 sound is still a mystery to me.... So yes, Cleveland '81 (Tribute) for sure is one of my favorite shows!

I have always said this also. Randy just really sounded bored on the diary tour and a lot of his fills were really rushed and felt like he was going overboard on a lot of them, although they still sounded cool as hell. There is a boatload of times where he was a half a beat late or a full beat late getting back to the riff. Just trying to fit to much in and didn't really care, maybe it was his way of pissing Ozzy off?

I think he was moderately enjoying himself all the way up to around the Chicago show as he still felt like he had life him on all the previous diary shows. The energy is definitely there on the official opening of the tour for New Year's Eve.

One thing I don't understand and maybe I would if i read any of the books released over the years, but wasn't he home for a week or two on break before the accident? He surely would have told Delores that he couldn't stand Ozzy or at least say they was huge tension between them. But Delores has always treated Ozzy as if he was Randy's best friend and always spoke highly of him. Maybe randy just didn't relay any of the details and just said he was unhappy and wanted to go back to school?