Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rdg

Re: Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen Question.

Post by rdg »

I don't think guitar hero is even possible today. Dave Grohl's guitar band 'Foo Fighters' is about all that can work. A bunch of guitarists to replace the hero. The public doesn't give a damn about shredding. Its actually a big negative now. Indulgence and all that. Take the fucking tremolo unit (properly called vibrato bar) off the guitars and throw them away. Nobody gives a shit about dive bombing, tapping, and pick scraping.
rdg

Post by rdg »

The guitar hero of 2015 had better crank out riffs the calibre that exist in 'Enter Sandman' and 'Iron Man'...the ones that get banned at Guitar Center...every couple of months to get any record label even remotely interested in your abilities. Many of these game changer riffs could be played by a beginning guitar student on his 3rd day of lessons.

EVH, RR, and JP could not do that. They had to use gimmicks (long hair, occult lyrics, banging chicks, clown suits, etc) to cover the shortcoming on permanent-implanted-in-mind-riffs. And all that bullshit about classical influences, tapping, and other such "innovation" is irrelevant.
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

rdg wrote:I don't think guitar hero is even possible today. Dave Grohl's guitar band 'Foo Fighters' is about all that can work. A bunch of guitarists to replace the hero. The public doesn't give a damn about shredding. Its actually a big negative now. Indulgence and all that. Take the fucking tremolo unit (properly called vibrato bar) off the guitars and throw them away. Nobody gives a shit about dive bombing, tapping, and pick scraping.

and welcome to the world of Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, etc. Enjoy. So glad i was in my 20's during the 1980's, time of my life. I look at now, and just shake my head. Sad.
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Okay, so I found an interview with Michael Anthony where he mentions Randy...

Guitar World: Were Quiet Riot around when you were playing clubs?

Michael Anthony: open up for us and the guitarist was good. Of course he was goo; he listened to everything Edward played. He played everything Edward played. [laughs] not in Ed's shadow.

now, you just know, at sometime over all these years, Edward, in the privacy of his lil studio, played the stuff that Randy played with Ozzy, you just know it.lol.Id love to hear that sometime.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

strontium90 wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Okay, so I found an interview with Michael Anthony where he mentions Randy...

Guitar World: Were Quiet Riot around when you were playing clubs?

Michael Anthony: open up for us and the guitarist was good. Of course he was goo; he listened to everything Edward played. He played everything Edward played. [laughs] not in Ed's shadow.

now, you just know, at sometime over all these years, Edward, in the privacy of his lil studio, played the stuff that Randy played with Ozzy, you just know it.lol.Id love to hear that sometime.

Ed's tremendous ego would never allow him to actually reveal that he did this, if in fact he ever did.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Where is that quote from Sobolewsk? Very intriguing, I have no doubt that RR was on EVH radar, let's face it, your trying to get a record deal, and they didn't sign bands based on their lead singers antiques, you were aware of the local competition.. While EVH must be and rightly so given credit for his innovations, the studios Rhoads was hot on his heels and likely had more passion for the instrument..If RR had lived, they would have followed each other careers and if RR stayed in the business (to pay the bills) EVH would have kept a close eye on what he would be doing...at the end of the day, they had respect.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

devorerd wrote:Where is that quote from Sobolewsk? Very intriguing, I have no doubt that RR was on EVH radar, let's face it, your trying to get a record deal, and they didn't sign bands based on their lead singers antiques, you were aware of the local competition.. While EVH must be and rightly so given credit for his innovations, the studios Rhoads was hot on his heels and likely had more passion for the instrument..If RR had lived, they would have followed each other careers and if RR stayed in the business (to pay the bills) EVH would have kept a close eye on what he would be doing...at the end of the day, they had respect.
I agree with most of what you say, right up until the "they had respect" part. With everything I've read, it certainly seems like Ed did NOT respect Randy. He simply saw him as an imitator and didn't give him much credit. Had Randy lived longer, this may have changed. EVH seems to see himself....then everyone else. He is definitely an innovator, but refusing to see what other players brought to the table, to me, is the height of hubris and pride.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote: I agree with most of what you say, right up until the "they had respect" part. With everything I've read, it certainly seems like Ed did NOT respect Randy. He simply saw him as an imitator and didn't give him much credit. Had Randy lived longer, this may have changed. EVH seems to see himself....then everyone else. He is definitely an innovator, but refusing to see what other players brought to the table, to me, is the height of hubris and pride.
How much have you read on Eddie Van Halen? I've read several interviews and he talks respectively of the guys before him. Especially the ones that influenced him. Eddie rightfully so has an ego. I mean the guy changed the way guitarists play. The only person who was more innovative then Eddie is Jimi Hendrix. After Eddie that's all just a matter of opinion and debate. I'm a huge Randy and Eddie fan so it's interesting seeing how Eddie is painted by Randy fans.

We have to remember that Eddie and Randy were competition, not buddies. I'm positive Eddie saw the talent Randy had but he doesn't have to express that in interviews.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

he doesnt have to be an ass about it either.he was young then i would like to hear his opinion on randy today tho.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Tito wrote:he doesnt have to be an ass about it either.he was young then i would like to hear his opinion on randy today tho.
Can someone provide me a link to an interview where Eddie is being an ass about Randy Rhoads?

I can't find anything with Eddie being asked about Randy.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

theres one about the plane crash right after it happend and he was a little off to say the least.should be on here somewhere.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Tito wrote:he doesnt have to be an ass about it either.he was young then i would like to hear his opinion on randy today tho.
I know what you're speaking of but I'd want the whole interview and not just a piece that could be taken out of context.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

I've read the small quote that tito was referring to....Nothing else other than hearsay of when they actually met...I think Randy asked EVH about how his guitar stayed in tune with using the tremolo bar (Ed famously oiled the nut)...Nonetheless...I know there is respect there
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

strontium90 wrote:.

and welcome to the world of Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, etc. Enjoy. So glad i was in my 20's during the 1980's, time of my life. I look at now, and just shake my head. Sad.
With regard to Taylor, she is the real deal. I know she is not into shredding which is your main point and it is valid, it is not fair to lump her in to other artists that don't even write their own music and are largely morons. Carry on.
friday

Post by friday »

EVH was and will always be an alcoholic . "instant asshole just add alcohol"

Idk if hes straight now but the damage is done . as a person , alcohol has been a constant thru the years .

we are still on the out side . so any interviews with EVH he prob was/is insecure , IDK the guy but have seen enuff alcoholics and they are destructive of themselves and other people , criticism all round.

I have read he was helping jason becker once upon a time which is a positive but then makes me wonder where D roth was ? hes now a medic isnt he?