Rhoads the guitarist superhero who quits to go to university

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rhoads the guitarist superhero who quits to go to univer

Post by skezza »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Without Ed Van Halen would have been the David Lee Roth band, and we know how well that went.
I quite like DLR :(
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

skezza wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Without Ed Van Halen would have been the David Lee Roth band, and we know how well that went.
I quite like DLR :(
As I recall when DLR left he had quite a successful carer as a solo artist. He was really big.

Part of why Van Halen was so good was the whole package. The reason why they stayed good after DLR was not because Van Halen had more chops. It is because they replaced him with a guy that was equally talented but was different.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Sum of the parts...EVH, DLR...EVH, SH...good teams....Rhoads, Daisley, OZ, magic for that period.....Chemistry cannot be underestimated..I mean look at Chickenfoot....All star line up...songs, a couple of them make my "average" evaluation...other than that...I'll pass...
friday

Post by friday »

can a fender bass be clasified as a "guitar" ??? :D

Roger waters has done well slappin the plank

david gilmour has done well

slash has done well

clapton done alright

ace frehley did alright

didnt eagles back Linda Ronstat?

tommy bolin done alright

Zak wylde has done alright

filling arenas or out selling elvis isnt a bench mark . beiber does that kinda stuff = yay!

yesterday I bought tribute cd .....yes I did , time I moved up to the digital age, still keeping RR alive :) .
the folk on this forum would buy music from the RR band and kill for tickets but that doesnt mean he would be a success when compared to the big name band who ever that may be OR have a hit song on radio n TV.

solo careers are interesting , Gilmours stuff is great , R waters and richard wright made great albums , massive success to my ears .... I bought them!

none of them are flops ( all solo projects) , they are all gutsy attempts.

as for RR quiting , he didnt even reach the door , the dick head "flying" the plane saw to that . thats the prick how needs the bash
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

From ALdridge

I remember when Randy came up to me and was just enchanted with the classical guitar.He wanted to get out of the Rock N' Roll business and go back to school in order to take courses in classical music.Randy would try and take guitar lessons in every city that we stopped in.He wouls always try and find a classical guitar teacher in town and take a lesson from them.Nine times out of ten he would wind up giving them the lesson since he was so much more qualified than most of the techers were.Randy had decided that he just did not want what he was doing anymore in Rock N roll.He was very disenchanted with everything and confided in me a number of times about hid dissatisfaction with the business and how he wanted to get back to the purism of the guitar, that is what he had inspired to do.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

"I read somewhere that Randy was getting offers from New York to do session work and the he was interested in doing that for a little while."

I believe that was in the John Stix interview. If I'm not mistaken, Stix as a journalist was tied into the NYC scene and offered to make introductions for Randy and show him around.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

"He pretty much raised the white flag and surrendered when he chose to go to university. My point is that Rhoads didn't believe he could be successful being the owner of his own band because the singer makes it work, not the guitarist. He's not alone. Example: Jimmy Page. He's supposed to be the creative genius but it looks like he couldn't do much without Robert Plants very distinctive voice. Another example: Duane Allman. Basically broke and in debt before he died. The first two albums were flops. He dies tragically and then the Allman Brothers become famous mostly due to a country song ('Ramblin man) by Betts. Now we all talk that Duane Allman is a guitarist superhero.

I'm hard pressed to think of any non-singing guitarist who owned a band successfully while going through more than 1 singer. Ed van Halen is probably the model of fighting the good fight for guitarists. He fired every single singer in his band probably because the money bags (who always think the singer is the only person who matters) were trying to take control away from him. His entire song writing philosophy was centered on the guitarist being the creative juice that mattered.

My beef with Rhoads genius is the same as with Jimmy Page. If Rhoads was such a creative force, why was he seeking security in a university degree? My answer is that he assumed Ozzy would fire him, stop royalties, and game over...I don't think he even believed he could find steady work as a rock guitarist."

THIS IS VERY, VERY FUNNY! I LAUGHED THE MOST I EVER HAVE SINCE I'VE BEEN ON HERE!!