What is Randy's "Historical Significance"??

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: What is Randy's "Historical Significance"??

Post by Paul Wolfe »

orion_damage wrote:Is there any proof to Sharon squashing the documentary?
Sharon wanted to see the trailer and give her permission prior to it being released for public viewing. Someone lied to Dakota about having live footage they would trade for a chance to see the trailer and subsequently posted the trailer for the world to see. Sharon was furious and said that Dakota could not use Ozzy's music in the documentary because they went behind her back. No Ozzy music, no documentary.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

dannyahansen wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
I hadn't even thought about the guitars he helped create... interesting point.
This is one I should have thought of. I think this is quit significant. How many people have created a guitar that is iconic. I think this alone will keep Randy's name in the main stream for a long time to come.

I mean Les Paul had his guitar, Randy has his, Van Halen had his. There is really not many out side of that. I am not talking signature guitars. I am talking about a guitar that was designed by an artist. For instance Slash gets a signature Les Paul but it is still a Les Paul. If I get a Jackson RR1 it is still a Randy Rhoads 1. IT is still a guitar that was mostly designed by Randy with some changes made by me. This point is worth looking at more. IT is a great point.
Dime has many signature Dean MLs, but they existed prior to him and the Washburn's he "designed" are really copies of the ML... so point taken Danny. Well said, by the way.
dannyahansen wrote:
Isodee wrote: This board wouldn't exist if he hadn't got into that plane.
I don't know about that. It probably would exist it would just look and feel different. I am quit certain he still would be regarded as a great guitar hero and a legend. Things would be very different though.
I agree, Randy's legend is based on his skills with the guitar and the music he made. Dying young did propel him into a spotlight he may not have otherwise been in. However, I don't think his death is the reason fans still talk about him. However, since this question is about everyone's opinion as to what Randy's historical importance is, mentioning his death is as valid as anything else.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:Also, by repeating, "yes, but why was he significant?", it's clear that you are not finding the answer you, personally, seek.

I want to know what people here think is Randy's historical significance... to me saying "He wrote great songs" or "Crazy Train is a classic riff" doesn't seem like "It".

Sweet Child O' Mine is a classic riff, so does that make Slash in the same league of significance as Randy? Angus Young never did anything that hadn't been done before him, yet his significance is definitely there.

With this question, I was hoping to start a conversation that doesn't break down into a name-calling bitch-fest like so many threads here.
sytharnia wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote: So, again, why is Randy significant historically?
ok based on this post randys significance historically would only be co creating not only JACKSON guitars (in a side ways kinda a way) but more importantly the RR1
I hadn't even thought about the guitars he helped create... interesting point.
Isodee wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:In 2048, whe a kid is looking back on music, why would Randy's name be in the conversation?
Because he co-wrote and played guitar on the first two classic Ozzy albums and died tragically in a plane crash at 25. The same reason why we are here at UR today.
True, most of us came to this site because of an interest in Randy's guitar playing on the first 2 Ozzy records... personally I hate the fact that every magazine article of the last 30 years about Randy Rhoads has to mention that he "died tragically"...
whoopiecat wrote:His rep is built on just nineteen songs, from two albums. He was also able to help a well known, but burnt out singer, (Le Parc Hotel, anyone?), chart in the US top ten twice, (Sabbath made it as high as #52 on the US charts with Iron Man), and he did indeed play a part in helping design what quickly became a very popular guitar body style, thusly helping launch a guitar company... I would say that there are testimonials of a sort on this very site, from folks who have applied Randy's practice ethics to their own love and appreciation of music, whether they play guitar or not.
Well said

As for the documentary, it will never happen. Sharon wanted control and didn't get it, so she squashed it. What would make Randy huge would be a big-budget Hollywood dramatic production along the lines of La Bamba or The Buddy Holly Story, in my opinion. Get a good-looking actor who resembles Randy (think Val Kilmer in The Doors) and every teenage girl will be smitten and teenage boys (and some girls) will latch onto the dream of going from a kid with a guitar to a rock star.

How to get that going is anyone's guess.
It IS nice to see that this has not deteriorated into a, as you call it, "bitch fest". It's nice to, for once, have a conversation with people here where people aren't getting all butt-hurt that their opinion isn't the definitive, "right" one. It's refreshing that we can debate within the context of, GASP, a DEBATE!

I'm loving some of the responses that have come out of this. It started to seem like it was going off the rails (pun intended) and sputtering out, but people have been bringing up good points.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Sharon wanted to see the trailer and give her permission prior to it being released for public viewing. Someone lied to Dakota about having live footage they would trade for a chance to see the trailer and subsequently posted the trailer for the world to see. Sharon was furious and said that Dakota could not use Ozzy's music in the documentary because they went behind her back. No Ozzy music, no documentary.
Well I'd put the blame on Dakota for that stupid move. It's unfortunate it fizzed out after that. I assume the guys behind the film transferred what they could into their book, Randy Rhoads. Which kicks major ass by the way.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here's thought... Randy was responsible for the hair metal explosion in the '80s and without him the 80's would only be remembered for New Wave.

In '83 the Sunset Strip bands were still only local bands. In '83 Quiet Riot released Metal Health which would knock Syncronicity out of the number 1 spot after leapfrogging Thriller which had been #2. After this happened, the record companies signed every Strip band the could and the Hair Metal revolution was on.

Randy formed Quiet Riot and, in my opinion Quiet Riot got signed to Pasha because of the Randy Rhoads connection (since he was on his way to legend status).

So, without Randy we'd never have had the awesome memories of the '80's we all know and love.

Maybe a bit of a stretch, but, seriously, many of those bands would never have been signed without QR hitting the number 1 spot.

So Randy's historical importance is bringing the Sunset Strip to the world?
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Paul Wolfe wrote:

Been reading a lot on the lawsuit thread and seeing this...There's plenty of isolated guitar tracks they could have used that would have been fine based on the original agreement ($5K), but not nearly as meaning full as the entire tracks. I do remember seeing the trailer, gotta wonder will it regain any momentum now that they are settled, cause I don't foresee the Rhoads family filing an appeal, lawyers are expensive and with Musonia not doing very well, income could be hard to come by..The Winery the sister has, no clue on the profitability of that venture, the other stream is the Jackson guitar line + royalties..
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Here's thought... Randy was responsible for the hair metal explosion in the '80s and without him the 80's would only be remembered for New Wave.

In '83 the Sunset Strip bands were still only local bands. In '83 Quiet Riot released Metal Health which would knock Syncronicity out of the number 1 spot after leapfrogging Thriller which had been #2. After this happened, the record companies signed every Strip band the could and the Hair Metal revolution was on.

Randy formed Quiet Riot and, in my opinion Quiet Riot got signed to Pasha because of the Randy Rhoads connection (since he was on his way to legend status).

So, without Randy we'd never have had the awesome memories of the '80's we all know and love.

Maybe a bit of a stretch, but, seriously, many of those bands would never have been signed without QR hitting the number 1 spot.

So Randy's historical importance is bringing the Sunset Strip to the world?
I think there is a little bit of logic in this ... although also a bit of "long bow to draw" as well. Given that many have stated that blizzard of ozz bought metal back after a punk explosion then you could say that randy's involvement on that may have help QR....I think Spencer Proffer was probably more important than randy though in that respect...but then maybe spencer made the connection with randy so went to see QR and really pushed them??......I guess we will never know

also motley crue were getting plenty of attention as well so the strip would have risen anyway without QR imo
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well to be honest is QR Metal Health worthy of being a #1 album. I have just been listening to it the songs are ok but is it worthy of being a contender. I cannot see how it opened the doors for everyone else to be signed up. Who else rose up to the level of record sales after that album was released ? WASP and Ratt ?.
magicvoice

Post by magicvoice »

doesn't matter if it was "worthy" it became #1...the end....there's nothing the greedy record companies love more then something "new" moving product $$$ when metal became bankable they ran that formula into the ground to where it mutated into "something" that Grunge put out of its misery.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

magicvoice wrote:when metal became bankable they ran that formula into the ground to where it mutated into "something" that Grunge put out of its misery.
That's so spot on :twisted:
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

magicvoice wrote:doesn't matter if it was "worthy" it became #1...the end....there's nothing the greedy record companies love more then something "new" moving product $$$ when metal became bankable they ran that formula into the ground to where it mutated into "something" that Grunge put out of its misery.
This is sorta funny, because you are right. I do loathe grunge music though. To me it represents laziness.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I agree that Metal Health isn't a great record, but it is what it is - the first number 1 metal record. And it did lead to all the other Sunset Strip bands getting signed.
dannyahansen wrote:I do loathe grunge music though. To me it represents laziness.
I don't know, not all grunge is lazy... some of it is clever and catchy and just simple. It's simply '70's punk reinvented. Punk began as a rebellion against bands like Zeppelin playing 30 minute versions of their songs and prog bands being artsy. Grunge rebelled against hair metal doing 5 min + guitar solos and the "rock star" lifestyle. Grunge was never meant to be heard outside of Seattle, the best grunge bands stayed here.

This is one of my favorites:

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul don't get me wrong you put over a really good point but was it just that the scene was good at that time for HM Heavy rock bands. The early 80's boosted many great albums from shit loads of bands. It's the sunset strip turning point issue you mentioned as if Metal Health was a spring board, knock on effect for promoters to sup up many bands good or bad to make money. I was a fan of QR then but not when Randy was in the band. It's just strange how the band went from being a band who only really took off in Japan. Then that MH album came on the scene and it rocketed.
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

so, would there have been a Metal Health with Randy still in the band? 8) :shock:
magicvoice

Post by magicvoice »

say what ya want about Grunge just like any other genre of music it had it's good & bad bands. The one thing about that whole scene is it's the last rock chapter where big time record labels let bands "develop" their talent over a span of a few albums. That no longer exists. Once the 2000's came in and the labels realized that disposable cookie cutter music (i.e. the boy bands, all the Brittany crap, and pop shit) were the golden ticket now bands were signed with the "if this doesn't sell BIG & right out of the gate your'e done" mentality & that's what finally did in the relationship with a rock act & "the label"....perhaps Grunge's darker depressing vibe painted a good picture of the end of that music biz relationship?

2 cents...lol