Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I've never seen this before, sad to think Gary is no longer with us. He was another great player who died well before his time. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giw4-5hh9cw
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Gary Moore talks about Randy Rhoads

Post by Tito »

yeah idol i saw that a few years back..such an incredible player with so much feeling in his playing..thanks for posting alot of people need to see this...rip gary!!!
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Tito wrote:yeah idol i saw that a few years back..such an incredible player with so much feeling in his playing..thanks for posting alot of people need to see this...rip gary!!!
I love Gary Moore but there's no way that Randy incorporated the melody from 'Walkways' into 'Crowley'. Randy heard 'Walkways' that night for the first time, as Gary said, but 'Crowley' had been recorded months earlier. BOO had been released and the UK tour was over by the time that Gary did that gig at the Marquee.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I like hearing other guitarists speak of Randy, especially when they had actually met him. I'll watch the video in a bit. Thanks for sharing
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah the time line wouldn't match up for the dates of that gig at the Marquee. Like Troy has said the album was in the can by the time of that gig. I'm surprised Gary would inflate his ego by telling that story.
I remember a story from a fan who met Randy at a Greg Lake gig at the Hammersmith odeon in October 1981. Gary Moore was on guitar for that show. That was just before they went on tour with Saxon in November 81.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

I guess Gary got the timeline wrong because he could hear similarities between 'Walkways' and 'Crowley'. To be honest, I can't say that similarities between the 2 songs leap out at me... Not like the similarities between 'Walkways' and Santana's 'Europa' for example.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah i cannot see nothing leaping out either, but if Gary would say something like this it's making you believe that they have discussed the reasons behind it. As far as i can gather i'm sure Randy must of met GM at one time. Something may have been planted in his head after they recorded the track. As it's strange just to come out with that comment at random. Plus Gary must of admired Randy enough to dedicate a song to him after he heard of his death while on tour in Japan.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Yeah i cannot see nothing leaping out either, but if Gary would say something like this it's making you believe that they have discussed the reasons behind it. As far as i can gather i'm sure Randy must of met GM at one time. Something may have been planted in his head after they recorded the track. As it's strange just to come out with that comment at random. Plus Gary must of admired Randy enough to dedicate a song to him after he heard of his death while on tour in Japan.
I think the admiration between Randy and Gary was mutual. They'd met socially, they all went to Castle Donnington to see Rainbow not long before Blizzard's UK tour. Gary was also signed to Jet, he recorded a live album at the Marquee gigs in 1980 for Jet, Tommy Aldridge was Gary's drummer at the time.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I'm surprised no photos have been seen of them back stage at Donington 1980 plenty photographers took pics of Judas Priest, Michael Schenker, Saxon, Scorpions, Rainbow etc. Was this the story of a drunk Gary Moore who pissed himself on the return journey and his girlfriend wasn't in the best of moods when she felt the dampness and then realised it was Gary's bladder letting loose. Good job Ozzy wasn't in the car it would of been like a mobile hot tub..
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I'm surprised no photos have been seen of them back stage at Donington 1980 plenty photographers took pics of Judas Priest, Michael Schenker, Saxon, Scorpions, Rainbow etc. Was this the story of a drunk Gary Moore who pissed himself on the return journey and his girlfriend wasn't in the best of moods when she felt the dampness and then realised it was Gary's bladder letting loose. Good job Ozzy wasn't in the car it would of been like a mobile hot tub..
Maybe the photographers were more interested in the acts performing at the Monsters of Rock Festival than the guests? Yeah that was the story and Ozzy was in the same car as Gary, but Ozzy was with Sharon who'd just come back from the US and taken over from David Arden. Whatever the reason, Ozzy wasn't nearly as pissed as Gary on that occasion.