Randy Rhoads 2014 Masterclass (Teaser)

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Will Armitage

Re: Randy Rhoads 2014 Masterclass (Teaser)

Post by Will Armitage »

dinomite wrote:Now this is a nice breath of fresh air! I would have loved to been able to do something like this. I think you've nailed the tone in that Believer video. I think I'll be learning a thing or two from these lessons. Thanks for making them available for free!

I know you've said that you use the Axe Fx 2 and I'm sure you'll go over your rig in a video, but any chance you could tell us here what you're using in your setup?

Thanks for sharing man!
A walkthrough of my setup is actually going to be my first video, but I'll share it here :). It is very simple, I'm not much of a tinkerer.

ESP Eclipse II guitar>DiMarzio Cable>Axe FX 2>Focusrite Audio Interface>Windows Based Computer>Cubase 7.5

My misc. stuff are my Dunlop Jazz 205 picks (finely pointed for shredding, but thick enough to add some meat to rhythm playing) and Ernie Ball .10 strings tuned down a half step. The meat and potatoes of my setup are my ESP guitar/Axe FX 2 amp. I'm not endorsed by anything I use, but they work for me. The ESP retails for about 2k+, but I got mine used off eBay for about 700-800. It is the best guitar I have ever played...period and I have played everything under the sun. It has the play-ability of an Ibanez, but the tone of a Gibson. The pickups are also hot...EMG 85/81. The Axe FX 2 is an amazing amp unit. I've played tube amps, solid state and digital amps, but the Axe FX has the best of both worlds. The reliability/consistency of a solidstate, but the tone of a tube amp...no joke. It models 100+ amps within 95% accuracy of each. It has that 'organic' feel that no other solid-state/digital amp has provided.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

Thanks mate, that's awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing that video now, I've already subscribed. It's amazing to hear the kind of tone you've been able to get from really not that much hardware. Those solidstates have really come along way.

The only amp I have atm is the 1959RR and I've never gotten an attenuator for it, man that thing is loud. I think your setup has inspired me to go your route and invest in a similar setup that will give me a wider range of tones.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

I liked your tip of the week. I think self confidence often gets over looked. I struggle with it a lot. I find the days I play better, I am more self confident.
Will Armitage

Post by Will Armitage »

First installment coming tonight...Until then, here's my cover of 'Picking up the Pieces'...

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Excellent, Will... I struggle getting that fast part up to speed on Picking Up the Pieces
Will Armitage

Post by Will Armitage »

I may regret this...as it'll make my playing totally naked...but for the sake of learning, here is my solo isolated to make it easier to learn. It's also turned down a half step to Eb.

https://www.mediafire.com/?olq480bpgkw3kab
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Thank you Will, this helps quite a bit, I appreciate it.
lemuller

Post by lemuller »

Will, could you please post your Axe Fx 2 patch settings? I have a pod hd500x so i can't use your patch file but i could try to get closer.
Also, great cover, loved the PUTP one (: