Randy Rhoads 2014 Masterclass (Teaser)

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Will Armitage

Randy Rhoads 2014 Masterclass (Teaser)

Post by Will Armitage »

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure where I should post this. Coming this fall, I'm releasing a Randy Rhoads masterclass DVD. Long story short, I was never pleased with the GuitarWorld lessons and I am doing something fairly unique. I am giving an in depth 4+ hour lesson of Randy's licks, tricks, studio techniques, approach and more. I am throwing everything in the kitchen sink. My video has more information. This teaser has a few warts with my playing, walls of text, but it illustrates my point. I have also spent a lot of time crafting Randy's tones using the Axe Fx 2 and have gotten really close. I will also make all of the tones publicly available upon its release. Anyway, constructive feedback is welcomed and encouraged!

Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Re: Randy Rhoads 2014 Masterclass (Teaser)

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Looks very promising Will. I'm always interested in learning more about Randy's style of playing. I'd like to see information about how he used specific scales to create licks and progressions much more than seeing note-for-note lessons (there are MANY of those available) UNLESS the note for note lessons explain where the licks and runs are derived from.

For example showing a lick from Crowley and showing the scale it comes from and how & why it fits the progression would be helpful for those of us who'd like to play in Randy's style when creating our own stuff as opposed to just copying his songs.

At any rate, keep us updated!
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

That tone is pretty damn close man, good job....looks forward to this, hope you don't run into any legal issues
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

The tone is great and it sounds good. I am sure this will be a great video.
Will Armitage

Post by Will Armitage »

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
Will Armitage

Post by Will Armitage »

Here's my cover of Believer. Enjoy!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsN32tnbFOI[/youtube]
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Sounds great!

How's the DVD coming?
Will Armitage

Post by Will Armitage »

Thank you! I'm changing up the format a tad. I was thinking about it from a legal standpoint and if I release it as a DVD set, I'll probably get sued by Ozzy or the Rhoads estate. Instead, I will be releasing the individual lessons on YouTube for free. I should have the 'Believer' lesson released this week. I will be covering the studio/live versions, common errors in tab I've seen and studio tricks. After that, I'll probably do a lesson for either 'Steal Away' or 'Diary of a Madman'.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

DAMN!!!!VERY NICE WILL!!!!
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

I honestly don't think I have seen a cover of beleiever that good before nicely done man

I look forward to your YouTube videos

You have a link to your channel ?
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Will Armitage wrote:Thank you! I'm changing up the format a tad. I was thinking about it from a legal standpoint and if I release it as a DVD set, I'll probably get sued by Ozzy or the Rhoads estate. Instead, I will be releasing the individual lessons on YouTube for free. I should have the 'Believer' lesson released this week. I will be covering the studio/live versions, common errors in tab I've seen and studio tricks. After that, I'll probably do a lesson for either 'Steal Away' or 'Diary of a Madman'.
It's a common mistake to believe that putting something out there for free protects anyone from being sued. Having said that, the only potential objection or legal issue that I can see in what you're doing is in the title, because it's a Will Armitage Masterclass on the style of RR's playing, it's not a Randy Rhoads Masterclass... Big difference.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Man that sounded great!
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Very cool, Will. If you do this and do this well (as it seems your on your way to), you'll get a lot of hits on YouTube and properly teach how these classic songs should be played. At the same time, you'll connect kids who love and want to play the music back to Randy and bring some more fans aboard. I hope it leads to bigger and better things for you, also. Perhaps if you start song by song, the Rhoads family may take notice and want to do something with you in the future? Best of luck, mate!
Will Armitage

Post by Will Armitage »

Thank you for the support, all! Here is the link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUNN0l ... juMY2H0FzA . Feel free to subscribe to get the latest videos and updates. I'll post again in a month or two to the forum, the last thing I want to do is spam you guys. Thanks again everyone!

Sky - you are absolutely right and that is fantastic advice. Thank you for making me aware and I will be sure to title my masterclasses appropriately.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

Now this is a nice breath of fresh air! I would have loved to been able to do something like this. I think you've nailed the tone in that Believer video. I think I'll be learning a thing or two from these lessons. Thanks for making them available for free!

I know you've said that you use the Axe Fx 2 and I'm sure you'll go over your rig in a video, but any chance you could tell us here what you're using in your setup?

Thanks for sharing man!