Bob speaks out on Ozzy & Randy's recent Classic Rock award

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: Bob speaks out on Ozzy & Randy's recent Classic Rock awa

Post by orion_damage »

mojopin70 wrote:I cant imagine what it must be like to be Bob Daisley when these things happen must hurt like hell.
I wonder what Zakk's situation was like. I've never seen him complain about money, heck I don't think I've seen him mention money, so I wonder if he got treated differently.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

orion_damage wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:I cant imagine what it must be like to be Bob Daisley when these things happen must hurt like hell.
I wonder what Zakk's situation was like. I've never seen him complain about money, heck I don't think I've seen him mention money, so I wonder if he got treated differently.
I would imagine so. Mind you, I also think it's a case of Zakk's "playing ball" with the O's. He struck me as a model employee, which would make a difference.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I see Classic Rock have bounced back in $haron O's defence with this pile of drawn out BS...

On Monday morning I got a heads-up email. “Irate people are getting irate,” it said. It included a link to a Facebook post by Bob Daisley, best known as a bass player for Ozzy, Uriah Heep and more.

Bob was irate and was making a lot more people irate. Eventually I became irate too.

A month on from the Classic Rock Awards – at which Ozzy had picked the Classic Albums Award for Blizzard Of Ozz – Bob had decided to do what he does best: have a go at the Osbournes and, by extension, Classic Rock magazine.

Here’s what Bob had to say:

"In this year's recent Classic Rock 'Roll of Honour Awards', Ozzy Osbourne was presented with the 'Classic Album Award' for our 'Blizzard of Ozz' album. After the ceremony, Randy Rhoads' brother and sister, Kelle and Kathy, were taken aside and secretly handed a paper bag containing an award for Randy, for his contribution to the album. I find this insulting and disrespectful to the Rhoads family and, in particular, to Randy. I'd like to know why Randy's award wasn't presented 'publicly' to the Rhoads family members, and why drummer Lee Kerslake and I weren't even mentioned. That album was not a 'solo' Ozzy Osbourne record, as many have been wrongly led to believe, it was a work of art made by four people, the band called The Blizzard of Ozz. I co-wrote the music with Randy, I wrote more than 90% of the lyrics, and the four band members played on and co-produced the album together, so why did 'Classic Rock' choose to acknowledge only one member of the band? I do not begrudge Ozzy receiving his award, but I'd like to know why Randy wasn't acknowledged ceremoniously and why Lee and I weren't even mentioned, let alone given an award for our significant contributions to that album. 'Classic Rock' should know better, and they should be ashamed!”

Classic Rock Editor Siân Llewellyn swiftly responded on behalf of the magazine:

"There was certainly no offence intended, Bob Daisley. We have given out our Classic Album award many times in the past and we often present to one member from the line-up involved in its creation (just to give an example, we presented Cream's Disraeli Gears to Jack Bruce, Aerosmith's Rocks to Joe Perry etc…), and that in no way is marginalising the contribution made by the other band members. Unfortunately, it's simply logistics. We're not the Rock'N'Roll Hall Of Fame and we just don't have the budget to fly in/honour everyone involved in the making of a classic album. It's a recognition of the music within. And, as you of all people know, Blizzard Of Ozz is a classic album in every sense.

"The Rhoads family attended the event as guests of Ozzy and he honoured Randy in his acceptance speech saying, ‘I've had a great life and some disasters. The biggest was when Randy died. I owe my career to him.’ Ordinarily, we only present one statue for the Award (to the person collecting on the album's behalf), but this year we thought it was appropriate to have one made for Randy's family as they were in the room. It was given to them later in the evening – no paper bag, I'm sure! - and we photographed them with it for the current issue.”

In other words:

We never invite the full band to pick up the Classic Album Award

Ozzy invited the Rhoads family as guests

We made sure the Rhoads family got an award

There was no paper bag

Both Ozzy and Joe Elliott (presenter of the award) paid tribute to Randy.
And, let’s face it, regardless of whether Blizzard was initially conceived as ‘a band’ or not, Ozzy was the frontman and the name on which they were trading (they were called Blizzard Of Ozz not Blizzard Of Bob) and the album was finally released under his name (the work of EVIL Sharon Osbourne or record company pragmatism?). We didn’t get Frank Beard to pick up the ZZ Top award years ago, or ask Brad Whitford to pick up the Aerosmith award. They’re both key members of their bands, we have utmost respect for them, but the Classic Rock Awards is a show. And shows demand stars.

Randy Rhoads' sister and brother Kathy and Kelle with the award, LA November 4, 2014. (photo below)

So what’s left? Well, Ozzy never paid tribute to Lee Kerslake or Bob Daisley.

I wonder why? Because they never died young in a plane crash, robbing the world of their emerging and amazing talents, maybe?

Or maybe it’s because Bob and Lee have continually badmouthed and brought legal proceedings over the years?

Yeah, that’ll be it.

Whichever: Bob took a swipe, Siân explained, all good right? Except it wasn’t. By Tuesday, rival rock news outlets were reporting the story and Daisley’s Facebook post was aflame with comments. In fact, Daisley’s Facebook friends were copying and pasting his post into Classic Rock’s Facebook page “to expose the truth.”

Because, of course, no one knows that Bob Daisley played on Blizzard. Sharon Osbourne heads up an international conspiracy to keep it from all but the most committed few. I mean, it’s not like it gets a mention on Wikipedia’s page on the album!

Oh shit, it does.

Well, it’s not like Classic Rock’s ever written about it! I mean, Sharon wouldn’t LET them tell the truth!

They have? Twice? In issue 150 and issue 161? Oh.

Yeah, but they probably never let Daisley and Kerslake speak! They did? Ah.

Well… I bet they don’t mention that Sharon and Ozzy re-recorded the bass and drum parts on the record, replacing Daisley and Kerslake with Robert Trujillo and Mike Bordin!

They did? And they mentioned the 2011 reissues that restore the original versions and quote Ozzy commenting on them, “I’m glad [they’ve been restored]. I don’t give a fuck if you’ve got Jesus Christ and Moses playing drums and bass, it ain’t the same”?

Well if they did, it’s only because SHARON TOLD THEM TO!

By Tuesday, Daisley’s original comment had 500-odd comments, all in support of him, many anti-Classic Rock… and a huge, sickening percentage laying the blame squarely at the feet of Sharon Osbourne.

Well, you might say, she’s Ozzy’s manager, right? She’s bound to have something to do with this terrible travesty in which a great album was acknowledged, the singer given an award, the family of the deceased guitar player acknowledged from the stage and given their own award afterwards!

That sounds EXACTLY like the kind of thing that evil witch would do!

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Because the truth isn't far from that. Sharon took the brunt of 'the blame' because women in rock are singled out for a particularly vicious form of abuse (cf. Courtney Love, Yoko Ono etc).

Sharon was called a cunt, a slag, a witch, a jackal, a crook, Yoko Jr, and an old scrag who needs money for her 'facelifts'. She was called the devil, the 'real evil behind Ozzy', and blamed for the behaviour of her father...

Have you ever seen vitriol like that dished out towards any male manager? Any male rock star? (referring to the facebook comments on $haron O)

My favourite posts of all are the ones that claim that Sharon a) probably makes demands that mean that Bob Daisley can't be mentioned and b) is trying to airbrush/erase the true story from history. "They have a lot of influence in the music industry if you know what I mean..." Like Sharon's head of some organised crime syndicate who's only aim is to disparage former Ozzy bass players.

For the record I have only met Sharon twice. Once at the Classic Rock Awards, the first time she came, in which she made a point of thanking me and saying what a great night she'd had (number of managers who've done that: maybe half a dozen in 10 years), the other time backstage at a festival in Norway where Ozzy was due to play with Slash. She told me she liked my t-shirt and then left me and Ozzy to do an interview.

LIke: Woooo. What a witch. What a control freak etc etc.
So what did Bob say? He must have been embarrassed, shocked even to have triggered such misogyny and hatred - he probably counselled people to control their emotions and act responsibly, right?
Nope.
He wrote this: “I would like to say a huge 'thank you' to those who left comments of support regarding the 'Classic Rock Awards' issue. The response was overwhelming and it warmed me to the core. Your words are worth so much more than any award, and I thank you one and all. Love, Bob Daisley.”
Attachments
AAA1.JPG
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

No surprise that Classic Rock chose to support Sharon and twist Bob's message to them into a war with the Osbournes, typical tabloid BS. Strange that they posted Bob's response to his fans rather than post his reply to their statement, which was...

To Classic Rock: Thanks for your response, I had no desire to 'cross swords' with anyone, I just needed to vent my frustration and disapproval of how things were handled. I understand that not all members of bands receive an award each for an album, and thanks for giving specific examples. I also understand that budgets don't allow for people to be flown around the globe to attend award ceremonies. Yes, I saw that Ozzy mentioned Randy, which he often does, but if an award was made for Randy as well, why wasn't it presented publicly and ceremoniously to the Rhoads family members? The award, which was in fact in bubble wrap, was given to Kelle and Kathy on their way out, it was Kelle who put it in a paper bag. Kelle told me that the way that they were slipped the award was, in his own words, 'like a drug deal'. As you must be aware, Lee Kerslake and I have been repeatedly omitted from acknowledgement and recognition for our considerable part in the 'Blizzard of Ozz' album, so when Ozzy is filmed being honoured and acknowledged, Randy's award is given 'on the sly', and Kerslake and I are 'left out' yet again, perhaps you can understand the frustration and added insult to injury that it causes. Maybe it would've been a nice gesture to mention the four band members this time, instead of just two, and stretch to giving all four band members an award, instead of just two. Thanks, Bob Daisley.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Man I think this is such a nothing story
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

sytharnia wrote:Man I think this is such a nothing story
I agree. This whole thing has been made into a massive stink, for something that's really no surprise to anyone. We are all aware of the bad blood between the O's and Bob. Bob has simply restated what he's said before, and has always maintained - that it was a BAND effort. What's the problem, really?

I used to enjoy reading Classic Rock, but their knee-jerk response to this has been disappointing, and has somewhat soured me on their publication. Frankly, Bob has come out of this looking better than the so-called "journalists" at CR.

Sadly, this whole thing is indicative of anything Randy, isn't it? Controversial, with people's feeling getting hurt and ultimately someone gets upset, as well as one person or group getting the short end of the stick. I don't recall ANY other band/musicians having this kind of winding and weaving and animosity with each other, to the lengths this has played out to. It's a unique, and in the end, sad, case. Had things been handled right in the first place, had people been fair with each other, we wouldn't be seeing the aftermath of all this nonsense years on down the road.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Classic Crock......just another magazine more intent on keeping in good with the O's so they don't miss out on that next story/interview.

It's not such a 'nothing story' if you are Bob and Lee, and I'm sure if any of us were in their position we'd be pretty cut as well.

Sharon has screwed over Bob, Lee, Jake E Lee and Phil Soussan, and god knows who else, so exactly how much proof would Classic Rock want that Sharon is in fact a 'bitch'....'evil'...etc...etc...

Ozzy will be given credit for the bass playing next......
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

It's not 'such a nothing story' if you care about the legacy of Randy Rhoads.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

This article is such bollocks, the bloke that wrote it obviously knows fuck all and is more interested in trying to defend his crappy magazine and has never worked with Sharon Osbourne( Daisley) or knew her personally(Daisley)or had dealings with her professionally and personally (Daisley) This is the guy that Ozzy asked to write his fucking albums, lyrics and give opinions on whether Sharon was fat or not. I mean .....no fucker can make judgements as to what he should and should not feel/say. Its ridiculous. If he feels fucked off -most of the time he has good reason to be.

The facts speak for themselves. Let us not forget the wise words of Steve Machat that "Daisley and Kerslake had been royally screwed."

This from a Jewish music manager that knew everyone from the top to the bottom in the industry and was apparently very very good at his job........
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
orion_damage wrote:
I would imagine so. Mind you, I also think it's a case of Zakk's "playing ball" with the O's. He struck me as a model employee, which would make a difference.

Very much so. The classics had already been written by the time Zakk joined....

I think this sums it up :

Machat puts some of the blame on Ozzy’s wife, Sharon, stating that: “she wasn’t happy for” the other band members “to share the credit.”

Sharon is totally unethical, just like her dad (Don Arden) was. She has zero gratitude to the guys who actually made her husband's solo career for him by writing the songs he's been singing for almost 35 years.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Sky wrote:
Perhaps not a "nothing story", but a story that further illustrates the lack of fair treatment of the original Blizzard band, for sure.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Sky wrote:
well randy was honored..maybe not "publicly" at the event but pretty much every one knows he got an award also so his legacy is un touched imo
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

So if Randy had been announced at the presentation and Kelle and Kathy had come up on to the stage would this of changed any thing. Bob has said he doesn't pro-grudge Ozzy getting this award. But would of liked to of been recognised for the Classic Rock award, as well as Lee. OK so Kelle and Kathy are invited as guests of Ozzy and behind the scenes an award is waiting with Randy's name on it. So in hindsight Ozzy must of had some say in this matter if he invited the Rhoads to the presentation. Or was the invite sent out directly from Classic Rock ?.
In respect of what both Bob and Lee have contributed to the Ozzy albums why under the circumstances do you think Bob should be giving an award NOW!!... He has always clashed with them in the past over legal duties, court battles etc. They are by no means friends, and WHY would the O's even consider them for an award for the album. After removing their performances on both albums and giving them no credit on any products that Ozzy has released over the last 20+ years. I cannot get my head round it, it doesn't bring out the good in any one when a FB page is doing nothing but slagging the O's, well mainly $haron. Plus in the future if the Osbourne's are going to be needed to release any RR footage or concerts featuring both Bob & Lee do you honestly think they'll see passed all the agro and see the possibility of another way to make cash. They'll forever just fuck the issue off as long as its got any connection to do with Bob & Lee. So what is the future of the Grail tapes if the O's have to say OK you can release them with our permission... Or they will be released as working demos with no cuts from Ozzy to be used at all ?
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Bob hasn't made a deal with the Osbournes according to Sky(who are you again?) I am getting the feeling that Bob is just going to release this the probably get sued by the osbournes after a few weeks.

He must have a lawyer and they are obviously telling him he is all set or he is just saying screw and taking a chance. Bob has said he is going to release it in its entirety, if Sharon has no idea about this and it gets released she will come after him full force like nothing before probably lol.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Sky edited Bob's book and is a very good friend of his..Very creditable, no agenda..So let's empower Bob to release the grail, we'll get Bob the compensation he deserves, and with enough angst, we'll keep the Osbournes at bay..Seems to me that Bob has a good relationship with the Rhoads (Kelle wrote his book intro), that should help his case.