Madman

Re: little idea how Randy would have played on Speak of the

Post by fortress »

What are you talking abouy people?? I LOVE Live at Last
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Paul Wolfe wrote:It's sad that Live at Last had the original Sabbath members and wasn't very good... Live Evil had Tony and Geezer and wasn't very good... Speak of the Devil only had Ozzy and was very good! I love Brad's playing on that record. A little to Floyd happy, but he makes it work.

Would have loved to hear Randy play Symptom of the Universe and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, though.
I must be one the few fans who enjoyed LIVE AT LAST! While I also enjoyed SPEAK OF THE DEVIL, I thought Ozzy sounded too nasally on it, and it always struck me as Ozzy simply doing Sabbath covers to get back at his former band mates, plain and simple. I also felt (and feel) that he wasn't giving his best performance on that album, and you can hear the spite that he had to do the album in his voice, IMO. The album was also contractually obligated as well, so there's that as well. I'd imagine he was also still a bit upset about Randy too. Even the cover of the album was deliberately off-putting. Ozzy seemed to simply not care; he owed the label an album, he delivered, and that was that. In many ways, you can't blame him - he did what he was obligated to do, and moved on. I would also venture a guess that at first mention, this album, and the way it turned out, was probably not Ozzy's idea, if you catch my drift. :)

That being said, I thought Brad did a great job guitar-wise on the album. He was better as a guitarist than Ozzy was as a singer on that album, IMO.

Just my two cents, though. It's a decent album, but not a classic for me.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I remember buying Live at Last when it was released and enjoying it. Compared to other live efforts though, it's not great. I don't analyze Ozzy's voice as it never really sounds good to me, I just think Speak was a great performance musically. I very much like the way these particular musicians performed on this particular night (and the other set as well).
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I think Randy would have done a great job but that doesn't mean he wanted to. He was pretty against the Speak of the Devil album. Wasn't keen on doing a cover album, not a big Sabbath fan.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Randy didn't want to play Ozzy songs at the point that he was asked to do the Sabbath covers.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

But in true Rhoads fashion, Randy played those songs way better than the originals, so you can bet his effort on the album would have been stellar, no doubt. Then he would have bailed, but not without Sharon attempting to make it a difficult financial decision on his part. They would have probably reconnected some years down the road for another album and tour, but Randy would have had much more pull then.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Had Randy left and done something on his own or with Quiet Riot, chances are Ozzy never would have gotten as big as he did because Randy would have overshadowed any guitar player Ozzy had after him.
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

Just imagine what the video would have been like.
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

P C M wrote:Just imagine what the video would have been like.
+1
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

the crush wrote:
+1
I would have loved to see a video of brad doing sabbath...the little snippet that is in the new DVD is awesome even if it is only from the audience
nyhc7163

Post by nyhc7163 »

dannyahansen wrote:I have a hunch that "Speak of the Devil" would have been very different. I doubt very much that Randy would have done a whole live album of black sabbath tunes.
I do as well...however,I'm sure an official live album w/ Randy would have been amazing.
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Had Randy left and done something on his own or with Quiet Riot, chances are Ozzy never would have gotten as big as he did because Randy would have overshadowed any guitar player Ozzy had after him.
He always has.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

sytharnia wrote:
the crush wrote:
+1
I would have loved to see a video of brad doing sabbath...the little snippet that is in the new DVD is awesome even if it is only from the audience
Me too. That's snippet of "Fairies Wear Boots" just plain rocks. Its raw sound and Brad's shredding make me wish that crowd footage was available.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

I thought the issue of how SOTD came to be was outlined in Rudy's book? That was the beginning of the end between Randy and Ozzy, and probably sealed the deal for him wanting to move on from the circus life under Ozzy's Big Tent.