Fender stratocaster

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Re: Fender stratocaster

Post by dannyahansen »

friday wrote:
playing 24.75 for a while then shifting to 25.5 is noticable . listening to tribute last night and just listening to tuning of each song and now knowing diff concerts ,theres no knowing if songs recording is sped up
It is noticeable but to me it is more about the actual feel over the tone.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are tonal differences but being a hard rock guy, I am not sure it is all that noticeable.
friday wrote: Ive never seen tribute tab book and then thats some ones interpretation ...... probably wolf
They make or made them. I still have mine.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

dannyahansen wrote:
friday wrote::) .......I thought Gat was universal ???
Rofl, I never even heard the term until you showed up. Oh well.
I'm in new zealand and sadly its a pretty common term here to .... mainly used by non guitarists
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

one thing I have noticed for me is I write different styles of riffs when using a shorter scale. When I come up with riffs when i'm play my les pauls they tend to be more single note bendy type things and when i'm using my strats/superstrats they tend to be more chordal/double stop type things. Going to be interesting to see what happens when I finish building my short scale strat
friday

Post by friday »

Paul Wolfe wrote:for reference, here's the photo from Tribute
ozzy-osbourne-tribute-1206.jpg
I always hated the fact that in a "tribute" to Randy they put in a backwards shot of his most famous guitars looking like they're leftys...

excellent ! and yes some one was paid to set the pic back wards . I was looking at the window , it looks like *english setting or hugh hefners studio .
that strat is 75 up , is that a martin shape pick gaurd above it? and the ovation is a nylon
friday

Post by friday »

ok... last night like so many , I tuned up and listened to tribute , crowley . appears to be tad over A445 according to korg tuner .
so is this actual RR guitar tuning or is the reel to reel sped up OR is it the record player I have = dont know

where this thread came from is from listeneing to this album trying to guess what guitar RR is using

last note of 1st solo is a dive so naturally *Id* guess its a wanga on open A , not an eruption dive but still there

so is it the LP and hes bending the neck or a release bend from 3rd fret ?
noting the neck on the P dot is said to have a decent metal truss rod
Ive got a V and they do NOT have a heel at the head stock , be buggered if Ill ever play that game

Ive got a pic of the 3 Vs which Ill chuck up , the black jackson would definitely be 24.75 = gibsonesque build to it

in that previous pic if you look at the acoustic 6 and squint a little it says gibson in the sound hole , kinda looks like a bell shape on the truss rod cover but I can squint pretty good :roll:
friday

Post by friday »

heres RR stash from Guitar for practicing musician

L to R
P dot with white dials , chrome hard ware
P dot with Black dials , black hard ware , 21 fret , 25.5" scale , 6 side pegs

Black jackson shark tooth , 22 fret . brass hard ware , string thru body , 6 side pegs , gotta be 24.75 scale

concorde 22 fret ,25.5 scale 6 side pegs

LP 22 fret , everything a Gibson should be, 3 a side pegs

Now .... some where I read that the P dot was called the "propeller" guitar and Im bloody sure it was a RR mag article.
If you look at the inlays in the fret board they be propellers!! even tho it is obviously poker dot paint job and has always been named so.

Are you spooked? ....can I find the mag? hell no , but the inlays in RR gat arent going to change any time soon

I know the QR Bow tie thing but sure it was written in the article as propeller , I cant find the mag
Attachments
rr1.JPG
Last edited by friday on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
friday

Post by friday »

heres his Black LP
Attachments
rr2.JPG
friday

Post by friday »

multi posting
found another article from guitar world , done google but couldnt find it . but did find GW Blizzard king ....got those windows again , if pic is relevant to the story then it turns out to be an english setting , ridge farm.
I was just kidding about the window thing but then the tribute album photo is taken in UK studio with black strat

http://www.guitarworld.com/randy_rhoads ... g?page=0,0

.........................................................................................................................................................

magazine I pulled from the pile , I couldnt find a link on the net to whole article

recorded interview and guitar lesson at Music city greensburg, PA , feb 2 1982 ,6 weeks before death, printed in 1999 August guitar world

Q;what key is "flying high again" in?
RR; its in A

Q;when I play crazy train and then go to play FHA , Im a half-tone out . did you tune differently on DOAM as compared to BOO?
RR:yes,we tuned down one half step when we recorded diary

Q;why?
RR;when we were recording the second album, the tuner we had was miscalibrated,and I began to like the sound of being tuned down a half step for some of those songs.
A lot of people tune down a half step, but Id never done it before then.
It gives a much heavier sound to the chords, and it just gives you a meaner sound, overall.
when we play live, some of the songs are tune down and some are not, so I use different guitars which are tuned accordingly.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

friday wrote:
Black jackson shark tooth , 22 fret . brass hard ware , string thru body , 6 side pegs , gotta be 24.75 scale
every article I have read about the black V says it is 25.5 scale
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

friday wrote: Now .... some where I read that the P dot was called the "propeller" guitar and Im bloody sure it was a RR mag article.
If you look at the inlays in the fret board they be propellers!! even tho it is obviously poker dot paint job and has always been named so.

Are you spooked? ....can I find the mag? hell no , but the inlays in RR gat arent going to change any time soon

I know the QR Bow tie thing but sure it was written in the article as propeller , I cant find the mag
never seen any reference to them being "propellers" and given that is was made while he was in QR and he wore bot ties constantly on stage logic says the obvious
friday

Post by friday »

I take everything with a grain o salt .
the last time I bought a guitar mag was aug 1999 , the transcribed RR lesson and interview

Q; do you have you have a special tremolo unit on your charvel flying V?

RR;grover jackson,who owns charvel, builds the guitars himself for me, and I use his tremolo units.
theres no perfect tremolo, except for maybe a floyd rose, but grovers are very good.
I have another flying V , the p dot one, but it isnt a charvel, and I do have tuning problems with it all the time.

on jacksons own site it is listed as a myth , maybe they are referring to the missing truss rod and NOT the tuning.
a dan electro is supposedly a 25" scale while sandovel says p dot is 25.5" which may or maynot contribute to tuning prob

http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/myths.html

** at the bottom of page theres a link to RR pen drawings clearly showing bow tie sketches of his designs
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I always figured the tuning issues with the polka-dot V were a combination of less-than-great tuning pegs and the broken neck repair.
friday

Post by friday »

yea shouldnt of said that , scale and intonation NOT tuning.
I dont see string Tees on p dot and sandoval says he used a fender bridge .
sandoval says he used dimarzio super dist and PAF while jackson says p dot has PAFs , both top o the game professionals 2 slightly diff versions.
again everything with a grain o salt

supposed set up in 1981 ,all gats at std tuning..... and PAFs

http://www.guitargeek.com/randy-rhoads- ... p-diagram/

also they say there were 4 commisioned jackson Vs , 1 black with reverse inlays + 1 sold by accident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Randy_Rhoads

I have no info on bk V in any of my mags nor the interview about the propeller comment which I suspect would be from the interviewer not RR , all my mags are from 80s and 90s and some have gone.

while reading thru forum Ive learnt that OZ sang OVER the tribute album WTF ?????
thats another angle chucked in the mix

heres 1 for the Gat lovers
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~shane/ro ... index.html
friday

Post by friday »

friday wrote:multi posting
recorded interview and guitar lesson at Music city greensburg, PA , feb 2 1982 ,6 weeks before death, printed in 1999 August guitar world

Q;when I play crazy train and then go to play FHA , Im a half-tone out . did you tune differently on DOAM as compared to BOO?
RR:yes,we tuned down one half step when we recorded diary

Q;why?
RR;when we were recording the second album, the tuner we had was miscalibrated,and I began to like the sound of being tuned down a half step for some of those songs.
A lot of people tune down a half step, but Id never done it before then.
It gives a much heavier sound to the chords, and it just gives you a meaner sound, overall.
when we play live, some of the songs are tune down and some are not, so I use different guitars which are tuned accordingly.
^^ from the man himself but the guitar geek link from wolf marshall , says std tuning in DOAM tour!!

I know at the end of the day doesnt mean crap but to me ,Ive been listening to that LP for a few decades and Ive never resorted to TAB book , few muddy bits in there
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

friday wrote:
while reading thru forum Ive learnt that OZ sang OVER the tribute album WTF ?????
thats another angle chucked in the mix
dude probably 95% of live albums from the 80's all the instruments are redone as well