Did Randy Ever Get The Funk Out?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Did Randy Ever Get The Funk Out?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

shred1 wrote:Punk isn't a high craft form of music. Funk, on the other hand, requires a little dexterity and musical insight to be played well.
That's for sure. I've played metal guitar for decades, but when I tried learning to play funk, there's a lot of nuance that take time to get right. Funk is a difficult genre to get right.
shred1 wrote:High craft and high earnings are not the same thing.
Well said. Funk/Disco is difficult to play AND made more money than punk. It's not for everyone, though, just as punk is not for everyone.
shred1 wrote:The Quiet Riot sample that Paul posted is a disco track with a few power chords over top.
So there certainly was an awareness of disco and it's popularity.
I can't recall if it was Drew Forsyth or Rudy Sarzo, but I heard an interview with one of them saying Quiet Riot compromised their music to chase a record deal. The record companies would point to a disco song that was number one, QR would write a disco song and by the time they got it to the record company, there was a new flavor of the month and the company would want something different.

It would have been cool to hear Randy's impression of Nuno Bettencourt. Nuno is the funkiest shredder I can think of and I think that Randy would have appreciated his talent, whether he liked the style or not.
Sky wrote:
TAB wrote:yep some people think QR was a pop rock disco band :lol:
What were they trying to be then? Glam Rock?
That's exactly what they were trying to be. Had they had a producer like Ted Templeman they might have been successful at it, too. Glam was huge in the '70's, but it produced a lot of one hit wonders and not so many bands stood the test of time. We've got the Magic sounds just like the one-hit-wonder stuff from the '70's.

Had Randy not gone with Ozzy, I doubt Quiet Riot would ever have been known beyond the Sunset Strip...
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

These recordings explain why Randy asked his mother and his brother never to let those Qr albums out in the US if anything were to happen to him, he cried when his mother first heard them because she told him they were "not good at all" . But on hearing BOO she told him that he was on to something and apparently cried tears of joy! . What a contrast. This Qr stuff is dire .Poor production, weak songs, and completely uninspiring!
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

shred1 wrote:High craft and high earnings are not the same thing.

Funk, R&B and disco outsold new wave and punk in North America by about 1000 to 1 in the 70s in North America. Maybe more.
Saturday Night Fever itself outsold the entire punk thing.

Punks were not supposed to be 'successful', or 'good players'. Like the Dada movement. Failure was success. Irony? Alas the Great Rock N Roll Swindle.

By the way, I love the Damned and the Pistols. I also love funk.

Blackmore and Ronson showed flashes of funkiness in their playing. The Quiet Riot sample that Paul posted is a disco track with a few power chords over top.
So there certainly was an awareness of disco and it's popularity.

Early Crazy Train demoes also sport a disco drumbeat and a R&B influenced bassline so...
Maybe I just answered my own question.
I used to be in a band with the bassist from the Damned ......
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Algy?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:This Qr stuff is dire .Poor production, weak songs, and completely uninspiring!
To me the Quiet Riot records sound just like hundreds of other 70's glam rock band. You're right about the production, though... the songs are not great, but with the right production and some help with arrangements they could have been okay, in my opinion.

As with all music, people hear things differently, some like it, some don't. These songs are definitely not in the same league as the Ozzy stuff, but as I've often said, Bob and Lee were there to help with arrangements where in Quiet Riot Kevin and Randy butted heads about arrangements.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Agree on the Nuno comments. Massive talent.
How about Steve Salas? Not as 'full shred' as Nuno, but a real monster in my books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-yNgAZPnnY
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

One thing to be noted QR tried to please the labels and try different avenues with the writing and look. From glam to tough punk to flare of commercial pop rock and element of disco background. I think that's what set VH apart from say QR. VH was more about this is how we are like us or not.

Getting back to Randy's funk, lol.. Earl Klugh was one of Randy's favorite guitar players besides of Leslie West. I think if you even listen to No Bone Movies Rhythm parts there is some degree of syncopation funk style.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Getting back to Randy's funk, lol.. Earl Klugh was one of Randy's favorite guitar players besides of Leslie West. I think if you even listen to No Bone Movies Rhythm parts there is some degree of syncopation funk style.
RR's pick attack was precise and he was quite percussive. Amazing sense of time IMO.
I hear what you are saying with regards to 'Movies'.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Paul Gray!
Cool.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

shred1 wrote:Agree on the Nuno comments. Massive talent.
How about Steve Salas? Not as 'full shred' as Nuno, but a real monster in my books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-yNgAZPnnY
My introduction to Steve Salas was on the TM Stevens Heavy & Funky bass instructional video... great player.

shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

I have seen this.
Both of them are fantastic.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

randy played funk, disco and jazz while teaching me bass guitar and guitar. he was a musical chameleon and incredible in any and all genres. I never thought of randy as a metal guitarist...he was a musician in the purest sense of the word.