Anyone on here not play guitar?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Anyone on here not play guitar?

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

The question crossed my mind, and I was wondering if there are any Randy fans on this forum that don't play the guitar? Maybe it's already been asked but I don't know... Just thought I'd ask and see!
I went ahead and rode the white horse
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re: Anyone on here not play guitar?

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

LongRhoadsAhead wrote:The question crossed my mind, and I was wondering if there are any Randy fans on this forum that don't play the guitar? Maybe it's already been asked but I don't know... Just thought I'd ask and see!
I don't. I used to buy GUITAR WORLD religiously, though, even though the tabs meant nothing to me!

I don't play guitar, but I enjoy Randy's music just as much as someone who does, I'd wager. I'm sure o would get some further insight into Randy's music if I did play guitar, but I've never felt that I'm missing anything by not playing guitar.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah i'm one of the non guitar playing fans. It is a question i have often asked myself...as if the fans who do appreciate Randy have to be a guitarist to know what kind of talent the guy had. I was a fan of the music before i was a fan of the man. But in the interest of being around family and friends who play instruments i understand it and know why so many guitarist like the guy. They always seem to be the ones who say EVH was better then RR...
Elvira
Cool Member

Post by Elvira »

Oh neither do i. I started to learn about a year ago but i left because i had a lot of exams, not much time to dedicate all the necesary time...i would like to return some day :)
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Yeah i'm one of the non guitar playing fans. It is a question i have often asked myself...as if the fans who do appreciate Randy have to be a guitarist to know what kind of talent the guy had. I was a fan of the music before i was a fan of the man. But in the interest of being around family and friends who play instruments i understand it and know why so many guitarist like the guy. They always seem to be the ones who say EVH was better then RR...
No you don't have to play guitar to appreciate it. I don't think those of us who play appreciate it more. I think the appreciation comes from what one sees.

For me, though, Randy's playing did something more than just enjoying his music. He made me want to play it. So, I took up playing. And that should not diminish what you think of his playing. It should enhance it, because now you have another real world experience of some one less is more richly blessed because of Randy. I think that to me is his legacy.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well a guitarist will see and understand the technical side of his playing understanding his skill and tone etc.. You have guys who go all out to buy all the stomp boxes chorus, echo units, equalizers etc. But they still struggle to get his sound.... Which is down to the player and it is in the hands, playing style & attitude. I have had guitarists explain this to me and it does make you realise the individual technique of playing guitar.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

Great responses from people! I have been playing for 8 years now and have no where near the talent Randy had which makes me realize the work and effort he put in. I agree that you don't have to play to appreciate Randy, but playing definitely does give you a different view on just how spectacular of a player he was.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I know several people who don't play guitar but really admire Randy's playing and like that period from Oz the best.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
nyhc7163

Post by nyhc7163 »

I play drums ;)
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I play drums but randys playing influenced how I played riffs, don't get me wrong it didn't sound like randy but I began to drop riffs in at the end of sequences.
This was totally influenced by randy and how he and tommy bounced off each other during 1981.
They were on fire and when I taught rock drummers I would use recording of 81 to demonstrate how rock drummers should interact live.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

i dont play much but know enough to discern good from bad playing and appreciate obscure stuff.It would be hard to tell good technique from some fakester if i didnt know how to play.So that is why im glad i know how to play.I used to think metal was crap until i started learning it on the guitar -and gained total respect for rr and evh.Stuff like the rythme in crazy train or over the mtn or meanstreet blahblahbla.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120