How early was Randy trying to get out of Ozzy's band?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: How early was Randy trying to get out of Ozzy's band?

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sky wrote:
Do you know when Randy signed his contact with Jet?
Not the date but i know roughly the time line about the second week of October 1980.
No, Randy didn't sign the contract in October 1980, which would've been in the middle of the UK tour, he didn't sign to Jet until after DOAM was recorded in 1981.
'
Sorry i stand corrected i've just looked at the info i have Randy was still undecided after the Chelsmford gig 20th October 1980. Saying he was still unsure what to do, but Sharon was still nipping his head over other band business. If Randy never signed his contract until 1981 he must have had reason not to. Makes you realise how much of a fucked up situation he was in.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Sky wrote:
Do you know when Randy signed his contact with Jet?
Not the date but i know roughly the time line about the second week of October 1980.
No, Randy didn't sign the contract in October 1980, which would've been in the middle of the UK tour, he didn't sign to Jet until after DOAM was recorded in 1981.
'
Sorry i stand corrected i've just looked at the info i have Randy was still undecided after the Chelsmford gig 20th October 1980. Saying he was still unsure what to do, but Sharon was still nipping his head over other band business. If Randy never signed his contract until 1981 he must have had reason not to. Makes you realise how much of a fucked up situation he was in.
The bottom line is, until Randy signed that contract in 1981 he was free to walk at any time but he didn't.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

That is something i find very hard to believe...
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:That is something i find very hard to believe...
Well if an artist isn't bound by a contact it's up to them whether or not they leave, they're not legally bound. If Randy was as miserable as some are assuming I'm sure that he would've left the band and gone back home but he chose to stay in the UK, so maybe he was enjoying himself a lot more than some people realised. As for him being undecided about whether to sign to Jet, Randy, Bob and Lee walked out of a writing session in Jan '81 and went to Jet's offices to ask why their contracts hadn't been finalised because they all wanted to sign them.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

So going from what your saying no one had signed nothing in the way of contracts leading up to Jan' 1981 ?. So non of the band had any status or ties to them actually being in the band as a signed up member. So did Bob and Lee ever have anything wrote up in a contract while Randy was in the band ?
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

TAB wrote:A lot Randy's feelings and accounts of what happened are actually documented by Randy himself, in his own writings through letters and postcards to friends and Jodi.

Like Bob and Lee but not as bad but Randy did get screwed more than one way bad pun :P by Sharon holding back money from him. I believe there is more to that story also on Sharon's motives also, just sayin.
Are these accounts pretty easy to find through Google searching? I don't have Off the Rails, Quiet Riot Years or the book the Rhoads sued over but I plan to get them eventually.

Can you elaborate more on Sharon holding back money from Randy? I don't think I've heard about this, also if you could provide a source that'd be cool too.

You guys are reminding me of things that I had forgotten, like Ozzy punching him, but I don't recall ever hearing about the VISA issues and being thrown in jail.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

Sky wrote:
Well if an artist isn't bound by a contact it's up to them whether or not they leave, they're not legally bound. If Randy was as miserable as some are assuming I'm sure that he would've left the band and gone back home but he chose to stay in the UK, so maybe he was enjoying himself a lot more than some people realised. As for him being undecided about whether to sign to Jet, Randy, Bob and Lee walked out of a writing session in Jan '81 and went to Jet's offices to ask why their contracts hadn't been finalised because they all wanted to sign them.
if some people meaning me since I am bout the only one in the thread saying so, first you talk about leaving on the blizzard tour and then leaving when he was in the UK meaning recording the album, 2 different time frames. With Ozzy and Sharon kicking his pdv and shitting everywhere, I would have left, but he was dedicated with what he wanted. Anyway I am not assuming, he wrote these things in his post cards and letters to Jodi.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

TAB wrote:
Sky wrote:
Well if an artist isn't bound by a contact it's up to them whether or not they leave, they're not legally bound. If Randy was as miserable as some are assuming I'm sure that he would've left the band and gone back home but he chose to stay in the UK, so maybe he was enjoying himself a lot more than some people realised. As for him being undecided about whether to sign to Jet, Randy, Bpob and Lee walked out of a writing session in Jan '81 and went to Jet's offices to ask why their contracts hadn't been finalised because they all wanted to sign them.
if some people meaning me since I am bout the only one in the thread saying so, first you talk about leaving on the blizzard tour and then leaving when he was in the UK meaning recording the album, 2 different time frames. With Ozzy and Sharon kicking his pdv and shitting everywhere, I would have left, but he was dedicated with what he wanted. Anyway I am not assuming, he wrote these things in his post cards and letters to Jodi.

Where can this be read?
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:So going from what your saying no one had signed nothing in the way of contracts leading up to Jan' 1981 ?. So non of the band had any status or ties to them actually being in the band as a signed up member. So did Bob and Lee ever have anything wrote up in a contract while Randy was in the band ?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. No contracts were signed by any member of the original band during the writing and recording of those albums.
Maybe it's hard for anyone who isn't involved in the music business to understand exactly what a recording contract is, but Jet invested money in the band by paying for the live-in rehearsal venues and studios etc. so that albums could be made, and Ozzy, Bob, Randy and later Lee were paid a weekly retainer (a wage ) to remain in the band and create those albums.
Of course Randy got homesick, who wouldn't? He didn't like our cold English winters either but that doesn't mean he didn't enjoy himself. He wasn't 'tied' to Jet and he could've left the band at any time but he chose to stay in the UK.

Contracts had been written up for Bob, Lee and Randy but not signed. 'Letters of Intention' and long, wordy contracts had gone back and forth from the lawyers on both sides but contracts remained unsigned. Much of what was in the contracts was considered unfair for the musicians and one-sided in favour of Jet, and pertained to the album(s) and how the money would be split when the album(s) started to make a profit from sales...That money is the artist's 'performance royalty'.
Randy never signed any contract for individual management to anyone, he did have a contract with Jet at the time of his death but from what I understand, the exact date of signing is only known by those involved.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

TAB wrote:
Sky wrote:

No I wasn't referring to you at all, there have been many discussions about whether Randy was happy and when he wanted out. When do I even mention the US tour in this thread? My comments specifically refer to the original band and Randy's time in the UK from Nov '79 until after DOAM was recorded in '81 because that's what I know about from first-hand experience.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Yeah Randy was at his happiest on stage and if he was having a great sound on stage and the crowd reacted well to the gig etc. It was cool...but off stage you have Ozzy and Sharon fighting. You have the business side of contracts and all the other bullshit that needs to be signed over. Your in a strange country missing your home life, girlfriend, friends etc. Your idea of living in and out of a suit case and moving from town to town, city to city...It is not for everyone..
+1
I'm sure he still loved playing live but that was maybe only 1% of all the time he had to sacrifice for it....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah i will go along with what Tom TAB is saying as the words i have seen are from his hand wrote letters and postcards. He is stating on a good percentage of them that he is not having a good time. He is in a 'crab mood' he has not wrote any new riffs all the time he has been on tour. He is taking a gamble being in the band. He is being pulled up from Sharon for his guitar solo being too long and boring 'Yeah No shit'...She is doing his head in with pressure for signing contracts and other business issues. He does say when he has had good gigs and when he is getting a good sound on stage and he is happy etc. But for the most of the time he is expressing his feelings as being on a low. So regardless of what 'we think we know', that was from his own words on postcards while on tour in the UK 1980.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Yeah i will go along with what Tom TAB is saying as the words i have seen are from his hand wrote letters and postcards. He is stating on a good percentage of them that he is not having a good time. He is in a 'crab mood' he has not wrote any new riffs all the time he has been on tour. He is taking a gamble being in the band. He is being pulled up from Sharon for his guitar solo being too long and boring 'Yeah No shit'...She is doing his head in with pressure for signing contracts and other business issues. He does say when he has had good gigs and when he is getting a good sound on stage and he is happy etc. But for the most of the time he is expressing his feelings as being on a low. So regardless of what 'we think we know', that was from his own words on postcards while on tour in the UK 1980.
Well actions obviously speak louder than words because Randy stayed in the band despite the homesickness that we all knew about at the time and despite Sharon badgering him because she wanted to manage him as a solo artist, which we also all knew about at the time.
The recording contract had fuck all to do with Sharon's desires, it was to do with the band and Jet records. At the time of the UK tour, Sharon was only the tour coordinator... Look at the tour programme if you don't believe me.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Are all these postcards in the books that have been released over the last few years? I have seen 2 or 3 postcards from Randy and usually he seemed to be in a good mood, none of the stuff mentioned above...in the books?