Randy Rhoads stole from frehley !!..hardly

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

TAB
Madman

Re: Randy Rhoads stole from frehley !!..hardly

Post by TAB »

Yeah with Hendrix every aging and some new rock guitarist really go into this Hendrix and blues thing and try to play his style. I found myself doing that for a while and then just tell myself why. Listen to most guitarists on youtube and they will probably throw and Hendrix thing in there. That was Jimi and his style and sound. John Mayer does it really well but then you end up in the end just playing Hendrix. Randy would have said be original with your style as we know.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

As I said the last time this subject came up, Randy was teaching in '78 when Fractured Mirror was released, KISS was huge and Randy was probably asked to teach KISS stuff to his students. So it is possible he played Fractured Mirror. Loads of players stumble onto similar progressions without blatantly "stealing" anything.

Ace is Ace and is great at what he does with the guitar. Randy personally disliked Black Sabbath, but we all know Sabbath doesn't suck, that was just Randy's opinion.

Paul Stanley recently said that Ace had the potential in the early days to be phenomenal but that he quit working at his playing, quit practicing and squandered his talent on the road to rock stardom... which has nothing to do with the subject, but Stanley has seen and played with so many of the greats that his opinion holds some weight.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

That's still speculation even if by chance he might have figured it out for a student and really just 2 chords on the common part. I think that Randy wrote it coincidentally still and wasn't something he stole.
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

Somebody should paste this on that board.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

TAB wrote:That's still speculation even if by chance he might have figured it out for a student and really just 2 chords on the common part. I think that Randy wrote it coincidentally still and wasn't something he stole.

Oh, I agree it's coincidental.

I'd like to add that I don't believe Blackmore and Page stole some of their more famous songs... but that is put out there fairly often.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
I'd like to add that I don't believe Page stole some of their more famous songs... but that is put out there fairly often.
pretty hard to argue the "stairway" rip off ........ way to many "similarities" or should that be IDENTICAL guitar parts :D
nyhc7163

Post by nyhc7163 »

alborg wrote:http://www.kissfaq.com/forum11/viewtopi ... 1&t=101784

Some unbelievable shit going on in this thread on one of the KISS boards. I grew up a KISS fan & still love the 70's stuff but some comments are crazy...
I agree..I love 70's kiss as well...but Ace is not anywhere near the same universe as Randy!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

nyhc7163 wrote:

Some unbelievable shit going on in this thread on one of the KISS boards. I grew up a KISS fan & still love the 70's stuff but some comments are crazy...
I agree..I love 70's kiss as well...but Ace is not anywhere near the same universe as Randy!
Mick Ronson, Glen Buxton and Luther Groesvenor weren't in the same league as Randy, yet he was influenced by all three... just food for thought.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

sytharnia wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
I'd like to add that I don't believe Page stole some of their more famous songs... but that is put out there fairly often.
pretty hard to argue the "stairway" rip off ........ way to many "similarities" or should that be IDENTICAL guitar parts :D
Zeppelin didn't rip anyone off in making Stairway. I've listened to both songs and sure they start in the same area but that's it.

Heck if that's the case then Metallica ripped off Pink Floyd in writing Fade to Black. Listen to Goodbye Blue Sky and you'll hear the exact riff only Metallica added onto it. To me, that stuff doesn't matter.
nyhc7163

Post by nyhc7163 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
nyhc7163 wrote:

Mick Ronson, Glen Buxton and Luther Groesvenor weren't in the same league as Randy, yet he was influenced by all three... just food for thought.
exactly my point..meaning Randy never "stole" anything..influenced by other artists sure.
nyhc7163

Post by nyhc7163 »

btw I am a fan of Ace and Glen... all kinds of guitarists nowhere near Randy's ability but still great.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

orion_damage wrote:
sytharnia wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
Zeppelin didn't rip anyone off in making Stairway. I've listened to both songs and sure they start in the same area but that's it.

Heck if that's the case then Metallica ripped off Pink Floyd in writing Fade to Black. Listen to Goodbye Blue Sky and you'll hear the exact riff only Metallica added onto it. To me, that stuff doesn't matter.
I just think that the family of Randy California want money. Why is it that people don't sue over track three from side b of a record? They pick the most popular rock song of all time and make their claims. Not to mention, they are suing in Pennsylvania where Zeppelin has no holdings, business, etc because no one else felt the case had merit.

As I've said many times, Randy California heard Stairway and didn't sue. Must be a reason for that.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

As I've said many times, Randy California heard Stairway and didn't sue. Must be a reason for that.

Exactly, I dismissed the notion the first time I compared the two.