Frenso - 2 January 1982 Footage

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re: Frenso - 2 January 1982 Footage

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Shockwave wrote:I think the problem is that people that have Randy footage want big dollars for it...Which i agree they should get. But it seems that any mention of money to the Osbournes for Randy footage is taken as an insult. I think Sharon is very protective of Randy's legacy and does not want people making money off of his name. And the fact that the shows were taped illegally also without the band's permission so that is the other angle.

I think the other huge part of this is that Ozzy probably never get's word of anything being offered as far as footage. It probably goes straight from Sharon's lawyers to Sharon, then she says fuck off or the lawyers have a standard response already without even contacting Sharon regarding footage/$$. I think Ozzy would say screw it and pay whatever someone wanted. But then again, they probably have hundreds of hours of home videos with Randy off stage in normal life which is good enough for them. They toured with the guy for two years...they don't need or want to see footage like we do since they lived it.

I am curious to know whether or not that college kid that shot the palladium footage got anything or did he just donate it...I can see Sharon giving 5k for something of that type, but anything more wanted they just take as an insult.

We know one show was definitely pro shot because Randy says so in the post card he sent back to the US. All efforts should be put forth into finding info out on that.
I think you hit the nail right on the head here, Shockwave. Excellent points.

Honestly, as Randy fans we've seen the drama surrounding any type of footage, but I really don't get why footage of Randy and Ozzy would be worth so much more or is more sought after than any other act. I understand the rarity of the footage and all, but many other acts have gotten ahold of, and released in good quality, rare footage. It's just so frustrating that it's such a literal treasure hunt to track down footage. That being said, when it does turn up, and I'm certain it will, people will be more appreciative of the footage (one would hope).
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

I pray to god something (like this footage) comes to light soon. It's a shame to not have video of Randy during DOAM tour that isn't shot from way up in the balcony,side stage focused on Rudy & Tommy.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

TAB wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I think the problem is that people that have Randy footage want big dollars for it...Which i agree they should get. But it seems that any mention of money to the Osbournes for Randy footage is taken as an insult. I think Sharon is very protective of Randy's legacy and does not want people making money off of his name. And the fact that the shows were taped illegally also without the band's permission so that is the other angle.

I think the other huge part of this is that Ozzy probably never get's word of anything being offered as far as footage. It probably goes straight from Sharon's lawyers to Sharon, then she says fuck off or the lawyers have a standard response already without even contacting Sharon regarding footage/$$. I think Ozzy would say screw it and pay whatever someone wanted. But then again, they probably have hundreds of hours of home videos with Randy off stage in normal life which is good enough for them. They toured with the guy for two years...they don't need or want to see footage like we do since they lived it.

I am curious to know whether or not that college kid that shot the palladium footage got anything or did he just donate it...I can see Sharon giving 5k for something of that type, but anything more wanted they just take as an insult.

We know one show was definitely pro shot because Randy says so in the post card he sent back to the US. All efforts should be put forth into finding info out on that.
It's not the footage is worth anymore than others, it's really just to each his own. Some fans don't care about footage, photos etc, many do since there has been very little and Randy was sort of mysterious. When he died that day I felt robbed personally, I will never forget it. I just saw him play, I blew a chance to meet him. You bet I wanted to see live footage, I wanted so bad a bootleg of Over the Mountain. It stayed that way for years and years until things started slowly coming out, all except really good video. Now 30 years later. I did like the Rosemont Horizon video actually. Which I remember buying at a swap meet before feds busted those.

Like Rudy said the biggest question is what was it like playing with Randy, because no one really knows what he was like without these type of things available.

Good points, I am thinking that Sharon doesn't have any more footage of Randy. She might have small off stage stuff like the birthday wish, but even that came out for the thing she did about her. They would have cashed in on it back when they made Tribute. They had to dig up bad copy of After Hours just for CT video and fill it in with a bunch of great at the time many unseen photos. Back then if you were caught video taping guards would chase you. Now you would think maybe they confiscated video then, but sadly I think they never caught no one.

I don't think Sharon is protective of Randy's legacy, she wants to make the money off of him and no one else. Just like Bob's audio, same deal. She was not very nice to Randy when he was alive trying to force him into contracts to play music he didn't want to. He was treated like a hired hand.

Sadly money talks, some want big big money. I thought I read she paid for the box set material of the Palladium 2nd show from the college student about that much. Sharon i think does look at it as extortion. I don't know what the deal was for the New Mex. Diary stuff. Timing was good and she accepted it for the 30th Ann. box set so they could sell it. Otherwise it's trying to cash in on Randy and only she is going to do that.
Very good points here. :D

I find it interesting that in today's music world, it seems to be more liberal in some ways. By that, I mean filmed concerts, audio, and merchandise has gotten out to more people. Boots and the like are much more readily available to lots of people, not just collectors, which is great.

That being said, I think that there are still those that hold on to the old school mentality of collecting stuff like boots; they don't want to share them, or are afraid of reprisal from the artists. Fair enough. Interesting, though, that a lot of artists have welcomed boot footage and incorporated it into their own sets, as they realize that they themselves don't have the footage.....and that there is a market amongst diehard music fans, who will buy the set with rare footage. I tend to think that SO falls into the old school way of dealing with folks with boots - she sees them as a threat, and as someone cutting into her bottom line.

It's an unpopular opinion here, but I see SO as being a very shrewd businesswoman. I can't say I think she's always been right in how she's handled things, but that's not really my place to say, either. I DO credit her with pulling Ozzy out of the gutter, and giving the world the brand of Ozzy, though. I know many people don't like her, but she HAS forwarded his career, and realistically, kept him going personally and career-wise. My issues with her are more that it seems she was instrumental in tearing apart the original Blizzard of Ozz lineup, which was, for lack of a better term, lightning in a bottle. Her and Ozzy both knew once that lineup was changed, it was a huge mistake. Sharon has always been adamant that Daisley and Kerslake were this, that, and the other, but deep down, I'd bet that she knows that lineup could have produced a few more stellar albums. Which would have meant more money in her pocket. She's no idiot, and she learned at the feet of Don Arden, who as we all know was notorious in his handling of musical talent.

In the end, I hope that more footage comes out - I'm certain there's more out there. It's my hope that whoever has it will either sell it to someone who will be able to share it, or to the O's, and that will see fit to release it as well. Ozzy is a big enough name, and there's enough interest in his early solo years that it'd be viable. The key for them, I think, would be to not put it in a large, expensive set like the one that was released. Just release it on DVD or Blu-Ray. Most of us own BOO and DOAM already, and those discs were unnecessary. I'm of two minds on that set - great that there was some footage, no matter how limited, released, and that at least there is some opportunity to see it, but sad that it was so pricey, and out of the means of many fans, which no doubt hurt the potential sales of the set. Figuring in the apparent failure of the box set in stores, online, and elsewhere, the powers that be have probably just thrown up their hands and said , "it's not worth releasing any more footage, even if we could get some". Sad, in that respect. That's why I think a single release of the footage, sans all the other extraneous trimmings, would have been, and would be, more viable.

Just my two cents, though!
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

P C M wrote:I pray to god something (like this footage) comes to light soon. It's a shame to not have video of Randy during DOAM tour that isn't shot from way up in the balcony,side stage focused on Rudy & Tommy.
Amen to this. I refuse to believe that no one thought it wouldn't be a good idea not to film Ozzy at the beginning of his career, even if it was not Ozzy's camp that did it. Much smaller acts have had much more footage of them live filmed. It just does not stand to reason, IMO.

I'm certain we've not seen the last Ozzy/Randy footage surface. I realize that many people, including lots here, have looked into this, but I think not abandoning hope and continuing to ask questions of potential sources is never a bad thing. :)
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I find it interesting that in today's music world, it seems to be more liberal in some ways. By that, I mean filmed concerts, audio, and merchandise has gotten out to more people. Boots and the like are much more readily available to lots of people, not just collectors, which is great.

That being said, I think that there are still those that hold on to the old school mentality of collecting stuff like boots; they don't want to share them, or are afraid of reprisal from the artists. "

oh that is an excellent point that resonates so strongly with me-being an ol fart now.Todays kids and fans film concerts with their cell phones ,so there about 20k videos of each venue performance.This means the value of the video is zero,which is a good thing.Its a commodity and one to be enjoyed.Unlike back in the analog days where you would be a superhero to bring in bulky equipment to record something.If you successfully did it you would feeel like a superhero and probably want to charge like a superhero!It also made it a super rare commodity.
So while it should be released on youtube,these lint brothers or whomever,they still are clinging onto ol skool mentality from ol skool days.And i understand their point.Maybe they should hook up with some rich randy fan,get their ransom and that philanthropical fan releases it on youtube.Win-win for everyone.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

"It's an unpopular opinion here, but I see SO as being a very shrewd businesswoman."

Shrewd business/man=successful scumbag ie mcdonalds,walmart corp/family.
Successful business/man= successful without being a thief,exploiter,kniving,lying,deceitful,amoral ie. costco,starbucks.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

TAB wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote: Very good points here. :D

That being said, I think that there are still those that hold on to the old school mentality of collecting stuff like boots; they don't want to share them, or are afraid of reprisal from the artists. Fair enough. Interesting, though, that a lot of artists have welcomed boot footage and incorporated it into their own sets, as they realize that they themselves don't have the footage.....and that there is a market amongst diehard music fans, who will buy the set with rare footage. I tend to think that SO falls into the old school way of dealing with folks with boots - she sees them as a threat, and as someone cutting into her bottom line.

It's an unpopular opinion here, but I see SO as being a very shrewd businesswoman. I can't say I think she's always been right in how she's handled things, but that's not really my place to say, either. I DO credit her with pulling Ozzy out of the gutter, and giving the world the brand of Ozzy, though. I know many people don't like her, but she HAS forwarded his career, and realistically, kept him going personally and career-wise. My issues with her are more that it seems she was instrumental in tearing apart the original Blizzard of Ozz lineup, which was, for lack of a better term, lightning in a bottle. Her and Ozzy both knew once that lineup was changed, it was a huge mistake. Sharon has always been adamant that Daisley and Kerslake were this, that, and the other, but deep down, I'd bet that she knows that lineup could have produced a few more stellar albums. Which would have meant more money in her pocket. She's no idiot, and she learned at the feet of Don Arden, who as we all know was notorious in his handling of musical talent.

In the end, I hope that more footage comes out - I'm certain there's more out there. It's my hope that whoever has it will either sell it to someone who will be able to share it, or to the O's, and that will see fit to release it as well. Ozzy is a big enough name, and there's enough interest in his early solo years that it'd be viable. The key for them, I think, would be to not put it in a large, expensive set like the one that was released. Just release it on DVD or Blu-Ray. Most of us own BOO and DOAM already, and those discs were unnecessary. I'm of two minds on that set - great that there was some footage, no matter how limited, released, and that at least there is some opportunity to see it, but sad that it was so pricey, and out of the means of many fans, which no doubt hurt the potential sales of the set. Figuring in the apparent failure of the box set in stores, online, and elsewhere, the powers that be have probably just thrown up their hands and said , "it's not worth releasing any more footage, even if we could get some". Sad, in that respect. That's why I think a single release of the footage, sans all the other extraneous trimmings, would have been, and would be, more viable.

Just my two cents, though!
Very good points as well. Sharon you do have to give credit that she parlayed her money into long lasting wealth as a strong businesswoman. I guess you have to be like that to survive I am sure. I agree she broke up the Blizzard of Oz and changed it to solo Ozzy. Its an interesting thought if there was a 3rd album with Randy, would they brought back Bob and used Tommy? Since they used Bob on Bark at the Moon for his strong writing. I saw that tour and was sitting in front of Bob but I was real sad without Randy there. Sharon saw the market and things changing and wanted younger hotter looking guys and a big giant circus stage but yeah all hired hands for Ozzy.

I also agree she doesn't welcome live shows boots and see them as a threat to Ozzy. I think it's fair to say Sharon as been protective of Ozzy's legacy more than Randy, Randy just happened to be a big part of it because any live show that is released by them, Ozzy voice is altered or chorus is added. I am not sure how many shows were sound board recorded, but all the splicing solos and certain songs from other shows because Ozzy said something or sounded bad in a part.

Anyway very true, boots are a different world now from the 70's and 80's and more freely shared and recorded due to technology. It's a promotion tool now. One thing album sales are gone and the days of those big grand displays of buying vinyl and having a theme and all. Bands rely on live performance to make up cost.

I too have thought if someone can approach Sharon as a money making vestment by saying I have this footage of Randy and Ozzy and can you put in a DVD, market and sell to the fans how would she react? Like you said the box set I am thinking didn't make the numbers they wanted to see I am guessing so they might not have interest now? I still think would be a great idea :P I would like to hear her interviewed about these topics of boots and Randy and rare footage and the demand for Randy footage. Again might not be good she couldn't come to an agreement with Bob on audio.
Totally agree about bands and acts using live shows to make money. The rise of digital music has effectively destroyed "album sales" as such, and that part of the music industry is all but gone. CD's are still for sale, of course, but very few brick and mortar stores carry a large variety of CD's anymore. It's understandable though, given how technology is going. Technology drives the market. Live shows are now the way that most artists make money, because they can pocket more of it, and it makes better business sense for them. On one hand, it's good, because fans can see the show (and also meet and greet in some cases, even though those "VIP Packages" are a huge ripoff and overpriced), but on the other hand, you're getting acts that are long in the tooth touring when they should be hanging it up. It's the reality of the market today, though.

I'm also curious as to how Sharon would react if she were presented with good footage. I have an idea that she would be dismissive of it and a hardass to deal with, but who knows? I have no doubt, however, that she would try to negotiate the deal to her advantage, trying to pay as little as possible for whatever footage was available. Keep in mind she also has the channels to get the footage out there, and make the whole thing viable.

I heard her on Howard Stern a few weeks ago, and though I didn't hear all of it, I wondered: Do they take questions when guests are on? Because asking about Randy footage would be an excellent, on topic question if she's on again. Who knows if she'd answer, but it would be interesting to know nonetheless. As well, Stern is a big rock fan, so maybe he'd ask. He seems to love rock n' roll, and he's familiar with Ozzy's career. Just a thought!
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

oth wrote:I find it interesting that in today's music world, it seems to be more liberal in some ways. By that, I mean filmed concerts, audio, and merchandise has gotten out to more people. Boots and the like are much more readily available to lots of people, not just collectors, which is great.

That being said, I think that there are still those that hold on to the old school mentality of collecting stuff like boots; they don't want to share them, or are afraid of reprisal from the artists. "

oh that is an excellent point that resonates so strongly with me-being an ol fart now.Todays kids and fans film concerts with their cell phones ,so there about 20k videos of each venue performance.This means the value of the video is zero,which is a good thing.Its a commodity and one to be enjoyed.Unlike back in the analog days where you would be a superhero to bring in bulky equipment to record something.If you successfully did it you would feeel like a superhero and probably want to charge like a superhero!It also made it a super rare commodity.
So while it should be released on youtube,these lint brothers or whomever,they still are clinging onto ol skool mentality from ol skool days.And i understand their point.Maybe they should hook up with some rich randy fan,get their ransom and that philanthropical fan releases it on youtube.Win-win for everyone.
Indeed!

These things are complicated, and whomever has footage is still probably grappling with these issues.

The whole YouTube/Social Media thing has been the great equalizer in terms of entertainment, to be sure. Like you say, everyone has a cell phone with video capability nowadays, and it's very commonplace that shows are recorded, even though it's technically not allowed. YouTube has become a clearinghouse of sorts for footage and those with the inclination to share it, which is cool. Now, if some of the old timers would have the desire or capability to share, it'd be even better.

I disagree with downloading music and movies, but boots of shows, audio and video, seem to be a different beast altogether. To me, they help the artist, if nothing else, because fans, or people that have listened and become fans, will buy music and video and support the artist.

Haha! If I ever won the lottery, I would try to seek out two things: Randy footage, and Lon Chaney's (Tod Browning, actually) lost 1927 movie LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT.....and I would pay good money for both!
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

oth wrote:"It's an unpopular opinion here, but I see SO as being a very shrewd businesswoman."

Shrewd business/man=successful scumbag ie mcdonalds,walmart corp/family.
Successful business/man= successful without being a thief,exploiter,kniving,lying,deceitful,amoral ie. costco,starbucks.
+1

....though I'm sure every large, "successful" company or business person has had to step on a few toes on their way to the top.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

no doubt,but sadly many make it their business model like walmart,mcdonalds with their mistreatment of employees.Doesnt have to be that way but greed gets in the way of many.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

oth wrote:no doubt,but sadly many make it their business model like walmart,mcdonalds with their mistreatment of employees.Doesnt have to be that way but greed gets in the way of many.
It's true. It's sad that profit is made on the backs of workers who are sometimes not compensated fairly.

Btw: if you want an interesting read about Walmart, check out the book THE WALMART EFFECT. Great insight into how they became the powerhouse they are. Spoiler alert: it wasn't through treating employees or suppliers fairly. They are a force to be reckoned with, and are here to stay. The book is quite well written and engaging, actually.
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I don't understand why you guys use a copyright infringement excuse for potential RR/Ozzy videos not being posted? There is a huge number of big name performance videos on youtube. As for SO there is 30th Annie box set stuff on there already she is not having pulled. Anyone with RR rare vids or music just doesn't want to post it for these reasons. They are selfish with their stuff. They don't know how to post it. Owner of said footage thinks it's worth something. They don't know other people want to see it that bad. etc. Most that would happen is it would get pulled if for some reason SO freaked.
the crush
Cool Member

Post by the crush »

distortionplus wrote:I don't understand why you guys use a copyright infringement excuse for potential RR/Ozzy videos not being posted? There is a huge number of big name performance videos on youtube. As for SO there is 30th Annie box set stuff on there already she is not having pulled. Anyone with RR rare vids or music just doesn't want to post it for these reasons. They are selfish with their stuff. They don't know how to post it. Owner of said footage thinks it's worth something. They don't know other people want to see it that bad. etc. Most that would happen is it would get pulled if for some reason SO freaked.
I agree!!
check out my guitar playing here
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinsofamadman
check out my custom RR guitar
built by VonLinsowe Custom Guitars Facebook
check out my ozzy tribute band Sins of a Madman on FB or www.sins of a madman.com or on YouTube