Steven Rosen and Andrew Klein Book Excerpt

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

devorerd
Cool Member

Re: Steven Rosen and Andrew Klein Book Excerpt

Post by devorerd »

So I bought the book used about a month ago, paid $49...This is a touchy subject I realize, the last thing you ever want to see is a lawsuit filed by the Rhoads family. Did things turn out they way all intended, of course not..Were there some shenanigans going on...For sure, and when I say for sure, I'll tell you what had let me to make that statement. Pretty simple actually. Near the end of the book, there are pics of Randy's guitars, pedal board, effects, amps, etc...These are very close up with a ton of detail to them, very enjoyable from a guitar players perspective (the close up of the MXR equalizer, how the pedal board was sequenced). Only one way you get access to these items..The family. The only time I've seen pics like these were when Chip Ellis was taking measurements for his relics (the Les paul and Concorde).

So at one point, the trust was pretty high between the parties, so no matter who duped who, it went awry somewhere. Sad really, I saw the trailer as most have, and wondered what could have been. This summer there is a Jimi Hendrix flick coming out the that takes a look at a period in his life, perhaps someday we will see the same thing with RR. Put the EGO's aside and don't think about the $$..this is about honoring a human being and hopefully introducing a new generation of folks to the music that was left behind.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

devorerd wrote:So at one point, the trust was pretty high between the parties, so no matter who duped who, it went awry somewhere. Sad really, I saw the trailer as most have, and wondered what could have been. This summer there is a Jimi Hendrix flick coming out the that takes a look at a period in his life, perhaps someday we will see the same thing with RR. Put the EGO's aside and don't think about the $$..this is about honoring a human being and hopefully introducing a new generation of folks to the music that was left behind.
You are exactly right, at one point there was immense trust. Why did that change? It's not for us to know. The fact that this lawsuit is ongoing says a lot for the fact that any wrongdoing is questionable. If it were cut and dried the whole thing would have taken a short time to conclude. I don't know the details, but it seems to me that maybe the lawsuit was filed prematurely and now it's a matter of how to end things while saving face all around.

As for the trailer, I heard that the issue was that Sharon didn't want any part of the film seen without her okay. When Romeo Rose leaked it she pulled Ozzy out of the project and the whole thing died on the vine... without out Ozzy there is no RR story worthy of a documentary.
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

Interesting, I'm fairly new to this site and read "Romeo Rose's" name in some posts and wasn't sure who this guy was...this explains a lot. I also got the QR DVD and associated book, it was enjoyable. I've read Sarzo's book and the horribly edited McIver's Crazy Train book...So when you put them all together with their little spin on things, you have a pretty good picture of the RR..The stories my weave different directions and dive into other levels of details, but they essentially paint the same portrait. The Rose/Klein book was pretty detailed, of note that Rachel Youngblood suffered a heart attack during the ill fated flight and had her sitting shotgun..Which is pretty profound since that plane had dual operator ability.

Is it true that Margolis did obtain horribly graphic photos from the Leesburg Sheriff who was on the scene?
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:Try contacting the author and get some first hand information and if you still feel the way you do then that's reasonable. I've spoken with Andrew Klein and I have changed my opinion on this subject and have apologized to him for talking trash without knowing both sides of the story.
Hook, line, sinker.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:
Mr. Wolfe wrote:Try contacting the author and get some first hand information and if you still feel the way you do then that's reasonable. I've spoken with Andrew Klein and I have changed my opinion on this subject and have apologized to him for talking trash without knowing both sides of the story.
Hook, line, sinker.
wrong
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

RhoadsRockPhotographer wrote:
Hook, line, sinker.

Nope, don't think so.

You are entitled to your opinion, sir, and just because it differs from mine doesn't make you right and me wrong or vice versa. Let's just agree to disagree like adults, okay?
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Finally my copy came in today WOW!!!this damn book is heavy!!!thanks to peter,andy,and steve for this beautiful book!!!anything else that goes along with it is none of my concern...i got it for 64 bucks including shipping..get it before theres no more guys!!!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Speaking of the pedalboard..:do any of the pictures show it opened up completely so you can see all the guts??
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

The book that Tito is referencing, negative, I have it, but it does show the sequence in which they were laid out, plus the EXACT settings of the MXR equalizer, which in it's own is worth $50 to me!!!
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

Shockwave wrote:Speaking of the pedalboard..:do any of the pictures show it opened up completely so you can see all the guts??

I second that

That would be sooo freaking cool
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Right devo you can see the actual setting of the mxr eq and the front of the pedalboard but no guts..i think he used opened stomp boxes as far as the rest.i cant remember but the fuckin board was way oversized for what he was using.whats wierd is he used an eq boosted way up plus the wah in front and kept it on as a filter?(read that years ago dont know how true it is).
devorerd
Cool Member

Post by devorerd »

True, board is oversized for sure...the "Truebypass" system we use today was not applicable then.... Speaking of the Wah..listening to the live recordings, it only jumps out at me for "Idon't know" ...but Randy used it on there recorded tunes, most notably the outro of "You can't rock n roll".. To see that kind of detail in the book, the board, guitars, etc.., indicates to me..immense trust at that point from the Rhoads family! The guitar detail in the book is simple priceless...
blindleadingtheblind

Post by blindleadingtheblind »

And then they were asked if the information could be used in the book and they said no, so it wasn't used. I've read the book, where are the quotes from Kelle, Kathy and Delores? There are none. How about the pictures? Taken by people other than the Rhoads family.
[/quote]

Are these photos in the book?

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/slide ... =snapfish/

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/slide ... =snapfish/
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

just love these handles of people hiding behind their names :lol:
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

TAB wrote:just love these handles of people hiding behind their names :lol:
Rofl. I have thought the same thing. He is after all "Dangling Carrot" and "Romeo Rose".

He should just cut the crap.