Found proof of cameras at Day on the Green on 7/4/81

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

Re: Found proof of cameras at Day on the Green on 7/4/81

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Shockwave wrote:Ya same show though, you can see the poster board heart shaped cut out in all 3 pics that i posted that show the soundboard.
Ah oke, I think that 'heart' is in the middle of the soundboard in the photo I just posted as well:

We need better pics of that soundboard area! :twisted:
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

pronounced Lynyrd Skynyrd... ;-)
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Tom i have always looked at that photo and said to myself is the pic a bit of a 'desert mirage'. We are trying to see something that is not there. Guys wearing denim ?. It's great to see a guy with a hulk of a camera on his shoulder from this festival. If i seen the same guy filming the headliner's as well, that would seal it for me. He may of been asked to shoot the rest of the bands from the FOH desk ?. But keep up the search you are the photograph collector and i'm sure you'll see something else which gives us the 100% proof the Ozzy gig was filmed. Then the hunt for getting in touch with the people who would have the film that's the impossible task.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

yeah I am not saying that is the guy for sure in that photo except it looks similar to him and could be him. I think it was filmed also but with Grahams archives . cheers..
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Next step is to find out who this guy is..possible? Yes...chances? Maybe 20-30%...

Next step is to start watching other day on the greens or looking at other photos from those years and see if this guy is at them filming. There was another day on the green in 81 in August correct? Maybe he was there filming as well. If he was then you can be damn sure he was filming the entire show.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

TAB wrote: I don't even collect photos anymore.
Tom what happened to your photo collecting was it taking over your house when every room had Randy looking down on you. You must have one of the biggest collections of photos from different gigs etc. Have you ever counted how many different images of Randy Ozzy you have ?. I was a bit mad on the photo collecting myself and started to look for photos from the 1980 UK tour and pics from RR's UK shows only. I cannot understand why only a few gigs had pro photographers at them. I'd love to see pics from the Newcastle city hall or Newcastle mayfair gigs. It turns out to be a bit of a passionate hobby when you have to have every photo you see of our man. I started out collecting Rock memorabilia in the 80's i have shit loads of stuff. I went on the hunt for one ticket from every UK show Ozzy done with RR i've done ok.... i am only missing 3 stubs. So my collection is nearly complete.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

TAB wrote:hey anyway zooming into that one photo of the far away Ozzy settiing up shot and looking at the guy with the handheld, this guy here looks pretty similar to me ? Just sayin.
Could be the same guy yes. (not saying it is for sure)
Like TAB I feel it's been filmed as well. Check out again what I was been told by someone already years ago, it's not something one would make up imo:
I was at my girlfriends house and we were watching MTV and they were running
a commercial for Sept '81 Ozzy tour dates. It was behind the scrolling tour
dates. It was outdoor, daytime, you could see it OK kind of distant
but, you could see Randy on the right side of the stage and Ozzy in the
middle. A friend of mine who is photographer (Daniel Larsen) was at the July
4th Oakland show and told me it was a multi camera shoot. MTV owns that
footage and is rotting in their vault. If I remember correctly Bill Grahm
productions was the original promoter. I only saw it once. I wish I had
taped it but, who knew it was coming on. I'm sure one day more Randy footage
will surface. I mean more than what's out there now.
Do you remember what song they where playing?
It's hard to say. I don't really remember any sound in the background. I do
remember alot of talking over it. It was like, see Ozzy Osbourne on the road
coming to your town soon blah blah..
Of course the comment about Daniel Larsen makes you wonder since we don't see any cams in the existing pics when Randy played there.
But maybe Daniel Larsen confused this with latere DOTG editions that were indeed filmed from multiple angles?
Anyway, filiming from soundboard area during festivals is not uncommon, not even in the early eighties. The left side of that
soundboard area in the photo I posted looks suspicous to me. Wish we had a better quality pic of that one.

Also there was someone I knew who spoke with Lyndsy Brigdewater asking about existing footage with Randy.
He said there were people filming at the DOTG show. (Lyndsy wasn't asked specifically about the DOTG show)
Maybe someone can ask Lyndsy again to verify?
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

Bill Graham's Archives, aka Wolfgang's Vault has a contact number. 1 (866) 650-0810
Has anyone tried to call it for info? After class today I will give it a call and see what i can find out.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

Also, I do not know if this number is still correct, but this was at one point a number for West Coast MTV offices. 310-752-8000
I will call both later, and if anything worth mentioning happens I will post again. Good luck to anyone else trying t get some information.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

LongRhoadsAhead wrote:Also, I do not know if this number is still correct, but this was at one point a number for West Coast MTV offices. 310-752-8000
I will call both later, and if anything worth mentioning happens I will post again. Good luck to anyone else trying t get some information.
Please do and thank you!
dasboot

Post by dasboot »

The singer of 415 is Eric Martin of Mr. Big. Maybe he remembers something about the filming arrangements of that day if anyone knows how to contact him. I wonder if Paul Gilbert asked him about it.
"He could interpret blazing renditions of his compositions as easily as taking a breath"-Rudy Sarzo