Finally getting a RR1!

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Finally getting a RR1!

Post by Shockwave »

I think about 20+yrs of playing guitar and being a huge Rhoads fan it was about time!

According to the serial number this guitar should be a 2009/2010 RR1 USA. The seller says it is 100% mint condition and spent most of its time in the case. Scored it for $1275 shipped :D :D :D

Here are some pics from him :)

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: Finally getting a RR1!

Post by Shockwave »

Another note...

I wish Jackson would add the same pin striping had on his 1st white Jackson. The guitar would look so much better with. It boggles my mind they put it on the cheaper RR3/RR5 models and not the RR1's
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

Very nice
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Looks great :)
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

I think that's the best pinstriping I've seen on an RR... personally I never cared for the look on Randy's original.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

That is way nice. I got mine for 1299.99 but mine had a few dings. The good news is that mine had very minimal dings on the big end point. This one looks brand new. And that price is a score. Mine is from 2010. Ill need to post some pics of mine. I have done a few things to it. Added new pickups (The Slash set) and did some mods to the wiring and a new Switchcraft switch (which surprisingly is better than the stock witch with a cream cap) I also added a custom truss rod covered (White then black) and named the guitar after my wife. I am not big on naming guitars. Never done it on the 20+ I have owned. But this was a 10 year anniversary gift. It means something to me.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

dannyahansen wrote:That is way nice. I got mine for 1299.99 but mine had a few dings. The good news is that mine had very minimal dings on the big end point. This one looks brand new. And that price is a score. Mine is from 2010. Ill need to post some pics of mine. I have done a few things to it. Added new pickups (The Slash set) and did some mods to the wiring and a new Switchcraft switch (which surprisingly is better than the stock witch with a cream cap) I also added a custom truss rod covered (White then black) and named the guitar after my wife. I am not big on naming guitars. Never done it on the 20+ I have owned. But this was a 10 year anniversary gift. It means something to me.
Danny, what is your serial number of your RR1? and do you know for a fact it is a 2010? After 2001 there is no way to tell what year anyone's guitars were built now that Jackson has stop taking request. The only way to get an idea is to compare it against another confirmed serial/year. I have been going through Ebay here and there and figure it's and 09/10 by looking at other peoples auctions stating the year and serial number.

You don't have to give the full number but here is my partial

U24XXX
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

awesome shock ... an RR1 has been on my want list for 20+ years as well :|
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Shockwave wrote:
Danny, what is your serial number of your RR1? and do you know for a fact it is a 2010? After 2001 there is no way to tell what year anyone's guitars were built now that Jackson has stop taking request. The only way to get an idea is to compare it against another confirmed serial/year. I have been going through Ebay here and there and figure it's and 09/10 by looking at other peoples auctions stating the year and serial number.

U24XXX
Yeah I know it was 2010 as I still had the tag that Jackson sends out when it is completed. I don't remember the full date but it was 2010. The serial number is U227XX. The first one I bout in 2001 had a number below 10000 I think it was in the 8000's. but that was a while ago.

Hope this helps. It seems they have ramped up production quite a bit since 2001.

I would say yours is defiantly 2010 maybe even 2011. Ill go home and look at the tag and see the exact date it was completed. That will give you a better idea if it was even 2010. I also bought a Custom shop RR1 in ice blue metallic that was made in April of 2013 ill get that serial number too. We should be able to get a great idea of when yours was made.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

dannyahansen wrote:
Shockwave wrote:

U24XXX
Yeah I know it was 2010 as I still had the tag that Jackson sends out when it is completed. I don't remember the full date but it was 2010. The serial number is U227XX. The first one I bout in 2001 had a number below 10000 I think it was in the 8000's. but that was a while ago.

Hope this helps. It seems they have ramped up production quite a bit since 2001.

I would say yours is defiantly 2010 maybe even 2011. Ill go home and look at the tag and see the exact date it was completed. That will give you a better idea if it was even 2010. I also bought a Custom shop RR1 in ice blue metallic that was made in April of 2013 ill get that serial number too. We should be able to get a great idea of when yours was made.

Awesome! Yep mine looks like it may be creeping towards 2011 :)
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Shockwave wrote:

Awesome! Yep mine looks like it may be creeping towards 2011 :)
Ok so mine has a tag of 4/29/2010. My custom shop has a J 81XX serial. So that doesn't help.
I would put yours late 2010 but more likely 2011. Just depends on how many USA made Jackson's they built that year. 2,000ish seems like a lot to me. It may have been even built in 2012 but I am doubtful of that with out further info just pure speculation. But it is a nice score. I mean that thing looks brand new for less than I paid for mine which had some dings. And most people are trying to get 1500-1900 for their RR1's. Some dolt has one up right now that is "hotrodded" for 2900.00. I LOL at that one.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Cool, I am checking eBay here and there to narrow it down to compare against other serials. Yours is the newest I've compared to so far. . The guitar is is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and that will peak my interst even more trying to figure out the year....
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Shockwave wrote:Cool, I am checking eBay here and there to narrow it down to compare against other serials. Yours is the newest I've compared to so far. . The guitar is is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and that will peak my interst even more trying to figure out the year....
I hope you like it. The first one I owned in 2001 I ended up selling it because I didn't like how it played. However this one I just got I can't put it down. I am not sure if it is because my playing style has changed or that I have it tuned down 1/2 step. Last time I put 10's on it and had it at standard and I just didn't like that. Now I have 10's on it and its 1/2 step down and it feels a lot slinkier. I played Gibsons for years so I am really used to the shorter scale length. And going to that longer scale length with 10's is a world of difference. My Blue Jackson has 9's tuned to standard to compensate for the longer scale length and I really like how that plays.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

dannyahansen wrote:I played Gibsons for years so I am really used to the shorter scale length. And going to that longer scale length with 10's is a world of difference. My Blue Jackson has 9's tuned to standard to compensate for the longer scale length and I really like how that plays.
I never realized how much of a difference these little things could make... I got that LP copy and the scale length really through me off! I had been using 10's on my Strat and when I got the Vendetta it had 9's and bends so damn easily I have to pay attention so I don't accidentally bend notes out of tune.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Alright so i got the guitar in yesterday....So far it is very hard to tell if I am going to like it or not because

1. The previous owner had this thing setup for C tuning! and has 11's or 12's on this guitar...HOLY SHIT is it stiff. So after noodling around in C as it came(it came perfectly in tune from across the country!) I tuned up to E flat as i normally play in, this is where things start going wrong. It played fine once i tuned up but the bridge got pulled on a huge angle of course because of the tension. At the same time the neck must have bowed slightly because of the increased tension, either way it was hard as hell to play anything other than chords, string height was also high as hell. So i adjust the claw of the bridge and get the floyd back and level with the body of the guitar. Now the thing is buzzing like crazy all over the place and I don't really want to play it at all like this, sounds like crap. I think instead of screwing with it anymore i am just going to drop it off tomorrow to a tech and have him go through it and set it up how i want it.

A few other notes...

-The guitar is truly mint, it could have been on the showroom floor easily.

-When i did tune up to e-flat and tried to do some soloing on it I have never heard notes on a guitar be more clear and powerful. The little that i played it i can safely say it already blows everything out of the water i have ever owned, including a couple LP Customs. It's just extremely hard to play the way it is setup right now, it's worse than an acoustic IMO, probably just the 12's on it though :)

-I find it odd though how even everything sounds ...almost to even. It's almost like I am playing through a compressor that is maxed out.

Anyway, i usually set up my own guitars, but i have never had a floyd before. So i am going to drop it off tomorrow. In the past when i brought a guitar to these guys it's usually about a 5 day turn around. So i will update you guys later next week. If I don't end up liking it still i will probably unload it...but i doubt that will happen :)