NEW VAN HALEN FOOTAGE FROM 1978-79 !!!

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

NEW VAN HALEN FOOTAGE FROM 1978-79 !!!

Post by oth »

just released a few days ago...

there s a bunch of decent clips from fresno shows...they are bits and pieces.
seems like the guy is releasing them on utube as teasers and has the complete stuff but wants a deal or a private buyer to give him fat bucks.

http://www.vhnd.com/2014/03/29/unearthe ... eo-fresno/

i hope the mods dont move this for a while...this is the only forum that has a pulse anymore...this thread will just die if moved.

EDIT: MORE ...OK here s some more stuff that was improved in 2010...not the same as the most recent batch

http://www.vhnd.com/2010/04/09/video-va ... esno-1978/
Last edited by oth on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Re: NEW VAN HALEN FOOTAGE FROM 1978-79 !!!

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

I came across this video a few days ago! The boys were firing on all cylinders then. I was thinking about the Quiet Riot videos from 79 and then this VH stuff... HUGE difference between these bands at that point. No wonder Eddie didn't consider Randy a threat to his throne. At this point VH were light years ahead of Quiet Riot. Wonder what Ed thought when he first heard Crazy Train on the radio and found out who the guitar player was?

AlanF

Post by AlanF »

Maybe Wolfie can watch it and learn from Michael how it SHOULD be done!
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

AlanF wrote:Maybe Wolfie can watch it and learn from Michael how it SHOULD be done!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

Eds playing the dragon snake

1 of my 3 favorit guitars edd played

1st the charvel star with danelectro neck

2 the evh shark made out of an ibanaze destroyer

3 the dragon snake
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

now that was impressive!love em or hate em,these guys paid thier dues and then some!!!!!!!!!!!!the boys were beasts!!!!the only thing i cant stand is in the 70's the sound guys would always go berzerk with the delay on the vocals!!!yuck!!great post thanks!!!
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

When I listen to this I can see why VH was signed and QR wasn't. The energy in these performances are just incredible, its really cool to see Ed playing these other guitars that were rarely played too. Hopefully more of these shows come out in this quality as for me VH footage from the early Roth days is as important as Randy footage (thats just me maybe).
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

BowTie29 wrote:When I listen to this I can see why VH was signed and QR wasn't. The energy in these performances are just incredible, its really cool to see Ed playing these other guitars that were rarely played too. Hopefully more of these shows come out in this quality as for me VH footage from the early Roth days is as important as Randy footage (thats just me maybe).
That's why the dragon snake guitar is my favorite edd only played it for a month!

The dragon snake use to be a old strat edd had laying around and edds friend cut it up and painted it. If I remember right the guy was some sort or painter/artist.

Interesting fact about the dragon snake it has the same brass charvel bridge as Randy's concord. It also has tellcastor controls (volume-tone knobs)
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

The dragon was an destroyer body from Charvel that he had a buddy carve into the dragon biting the snake.

From Guitar Player April 1980:
dragon snake.JPG
Here's a good sot of the guitar...

oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

OK here s some more stuff that was improved in 2010...not the same as the most recent batch

How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

oth wrote:OK here s some more stuff that was improved in 2010...not the same as the most recent batch

Do you get the impression that the guy with the footage is enough of a BS artist to survive on and RR forum? :lol: :roll: :wink:

In 2010 the VH Newsdesk folks reprted:

Amazingly, the original 8mm film reels were destroyed in a house fire some 30 years ago! Luckily, Johnson had the foresight to make some backup tapes.

and in 2014:

The new Youtube channel boasts that the footage has been “remastered Frame by Frame HD Uncompressed…from my original Fuji single-8 films.”

So this guy spent 4 years building a time machine and went back to a time before the house fire and grabbed his film and then transferred it to digital where he then painstakingly edited it "frame by frame"? If he was smart he wouldv'e just used his machine to take a digital camera back to the show and film it... or if he really wanted the money, take that digital camera to the grassy knoll and get the goods on Oswald and Kennedy... or maybe take it to Ford's theatre back in April of '65.

It definitely seems that the guy has had the real deal forever and is looking for money now. Wouldn't trust the guy for nothin' unless some new info comes to light about why there is suddenly crystal clear footage. I don't buy the 'frame by frame' thing unless the guy is already rich enough to have nothing better to do than edit video 24/7 - not to mention the amount of money he'd ave into the equipment to do this.

I remember years ago when somebody the glitched in the 1982 Chicago Ozzy/Randy footage were intentionally added and the quality was intentionally reduced so the owner could give people the idea of what he had but could hold out the 'good stuff' for the right price. That's what this VH stuff reminds me of.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to see this stuff as it is. Teasers? Who cares? It's great stuff and I love every second of it. I just get tired of the liars who string people along for years.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:The dragon was an destroyer body from Charvel that he had a buddy carve into the dragon biting the snake.

From Guitar Player April 1980:
dragon snake.JPG
Here's a good sot of the guitar...

Here is the guitar before it was carved, this is in 1978
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43908441@N ... otostream/
Nick Hughes
Cool Member

Post by Nick Hughes »

Here is the guitar before it was carved, this is in 1978
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43908441@N ... otostream/[/quote]

You know the danelectro neck on that guitar would be added to the charvel star and would be used for 79-81
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Nick Hughes wrote:The dragon snake use to be a old strat edd had laying around and edds friend cut it up and painted it. If I remember right the guy was some sort or painter/artist.
Where'd you get "old strat" out of the picture you linked?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:
Nick Hughes wrote:The dragon snake use to be a old strat edd had laying around and edds friend cut it up and painted it. If I remember right the guy was some sort or painter/artist.
Where'd you get "old strat" out of the picture you linked?
I agree, that guitar is anything BUT a Strat :lol: