Ace Frehley/You Can't Kill Rock and Roll

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

TWAPILOT

Ace Frehley/You Can't Kill Rock and Roll

Post by TWAPILOT »

Fractured Mirror (Ace Frehley) from 1978 has a similar chord progression...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-xsV15-Qwc
On an adventure of faith...
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Ace Frehley/You Can't Kill Rock and Roll

Post by Tito »

Yes it does i noticed that a long time ago!!!Good song i havent heard it in years!!!thanks for posting.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Never really thought about that before, but you are right... I wonder if Randy ever taught a student that song? He was still teaching in '78 and ACE influenced SO many kids to pick up the guitar.
lordv8dr

Post by lordv8dr »

WOW, hadn't listened to that song in years. Never put the two together. Good one. Thanks for posting.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

By the way, I don't mean that Randy would have been influenced by Ace, I'm sure he came by the chord progression to You Can't Kill Rock & Roll on his own, I just wonder how many KISS songs he learned for his students.
TWAPILOT

Post by TWAPILOT »

Well if you liked that then listen to the last song, Angel Theme, at marker 41:53.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gTjn__Ce0

By the way, I posted this years ago on another forum and Kevin DuBrow commented that Randy was not influenced by Angel.
On an adventure of faith...
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Fractured Mirror has always been my favorite song from Ace´s solo!!! His solo album was definitely the best of them... :mrgreen:
Mikel
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

To be perfectly honest the first time I listened to you can't kill rock and roll I down right hated it

But after listing to it a few more times I can't get it out of my head and now it's my favorit song next to diary of a mad man
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

TWAPILOT wrote:Well if you liked that then listen to the last song, Angel Theme, at marker 41:53.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gTjn__Ce0

By the way, I posted this years ago on another forum and Kevin DuBrow commented that Randy was not influenced by Angel.
Angel Theme didn't remind me of Randy in any way, shape or form... the little interlude thing at 39:00 and 40:37 in Chicken Soup evoked Randy a little bit, though...
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Good coincidence. I'm wondering, since the original working title of this song was, "Floydian" - and I'm guessing that to mean it sounded like a Pink Floyd song, are there any Waters / Gilmour compositions that sound like YCKRNR? I'm thinking this based on Ozzy saying in a past interview that the "Believer" intro was Randy messing around with and reinterpreting Hendrix's intro to "Purple Haze" which Ozzy loved.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

No1UNo wrote:Good coincidence. I'm wondering, since the original working title of this song was, "Floydian" - and I'm guessing that to mean it sounded like a Pink Floyd song, are there any Waters / Gilmour compositions that sound like YCKRNR? I'm thinking this based on Ozzy saying in a past interview that the "Believer" intro was Randy messing around with and reinterpreting Hendrix's intro to "Purple Haze" which Ozzy loved.

The Believer intro is Randy reproducing the Slick Black Cadillac intro form his Quiet Riot days, if you listen to some old QR boots you can hear Believer's intro verbatim. However, Ozzy had never heard Quiet Riot, so of course to him it was a nod to Hendrix.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:
No1UNo wrote:Good coincidence. I'm wondering, since the original working title of this song was, "Floydian" - and I'm guessing that to mean it sounded like a Pink Floyd song, are there any Waters / Gilmour compositions that sound like YCKRNR? I'm thinking this based on Ozzy saying in a past interview that the "Believer" intro was Randy messing around with and reinterpreting Hendrix's intro to "Purple Haze" which Ozzy loved.

The Believer intro is Randy reproducing the Slick Black Cadillac intro form his Quiet Riot days, if you listen to some old QR boots you can hear Believer's intro verbatim. However, Ozzy had never heard Quiet Riot, so of course to him it was a nod to Hendrix.
This is interesting, and I'd never noticed this before. Randy definitely liked to use stuff he had played previously and either rework it, or lift it completely and put it in Ozzy stuff. I remember hearing his live solo from the QR days back when it was released on RR:THE QUIET RIOT YEARS and being very surprised he had had taken something from his solo and then here it was, being putting it into a later song. It escapes me what song it was right now! Was it "Crazy Train"? :lol:
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

I know force of habit was one,same riff as suicide solution,and picking up the pieces was another,he used this solo for lookin at me looking at you.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

I've never seen that interview and I've never heard Ozzy mention 'Purple Haze'. I'd love to see the interview if anyone has it.

Sky
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

I wish I could source that for you, but I can only remember Ozzy saying, "we stole a lot of things. no, we didn't really steal them, but they were just out there staring you in the face." I believe he mentioned lifting Diary of a Madman from one of Randy's guitar lessons and talked about Purple Haze and how the Believer intro was a re-worked version of it. Now that I think of it, some of this may have come from a Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine interview with Ozzy about Tony, Randy, Brad, and Jake. Maybe it was the one that Ozzy and Jake were on the cover of? Not sure, but I may be putting these things together from a couple of different sources. I distinctly remember reading the Ozzy quote about Believer and not understanding it until I dissected Purple Haze in my head and reasoned, "yeah, it sounds like Randy reinterpreted Hendrix's intro for his own".