The Contracts - It Is Complicated

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Sky
Madman

Re: The Contracts - It Is Complicated

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Knickers in a twist dude calm down its just a little mishap.... Bob was wrong Dave was wrong Nic was wrong I was EVEN WRONG ...Move on dude Bob's memory isn't what it used to be...
Ha! that's rich coming from you!
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Go on then i will let you have the last word. Troy it's only a forum...you can say WTF you like...
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Well I was wondering what had happened to this thread, I found it and yet again began wondering what happened to this thread!

As far as the topic, I watched the video but was interrupted numerous times so I'll have to try again when the world isn't imploding and my collection of children (human and canine) decide to allow me the privilege of having several minutes in a row that do not require my immediate attention. I'm certainly not complaining, I simply adore each and every moment in this Earth with my progeny.

As far as everything else, any more estrogen finds its way into this area and some of you gentlemen will begin ovulating. But not you, Shaun- the only eggs you have handy were for breakfast. And everyone else, I'm only kidding! But there is a lot of estrogen "all up in jerre"
I don't have a short attention span I
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

RRfan4eveRR wrote:Well I was wondering what had happened to this thread, I found it and yet again began wondering what happened to this thread!

As far as the topic, I watched the video but was interrupted numerous times so I'll have to try again when the world isn't imploding and my collection of children (human and canine) decide to allow me the privilege of having several minutes in a row that do not require my immediate attention. I'm certainly not complaining, I simply adore each and every moment in this Earth with my progeny.

As far as everything else, any more estrogen finds its way into this area and some of you gentlemen will begin ovulating. But not you, Shaun- the only eggs you have handy were for breakfast. And everyone else, I'm only kidding! But there is a lot of estrogen "all up in jerre"

So you came along to add some testosterone only kidding!.Youre a bit late though the mystery has been solved. Shaun`s managed to piss everyone off in the process though....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Hey if someone wants pissing off join the fkn queue. Nic don't try and be clever that's my job dude. I've had my eggs for breakfast :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBhQKwm2rY
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

It is an insightful interview.
I take it that Machat's CBS negotiations both delayed and ultimately undermined Bob and Lee's contracts ever getting signed.

Anyone know when, specifically, Ozzy signed with CBS for North America?
The dove-biting meeting was 'after' he had signed on. Correct?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

shred1 wrote:It is an insightful interview.
I take it that Machat's CBS negotiations both delayed and ultimately undermined Bob and Lee's contracts ever getting signed.

Anyone know when, specifically, Ozzy signed with CBS for North America?
The dove-biting meeting was 'after' he had signed on. Correct?
This is an interview from someone who worked for Epic CBS who was at the meeting.

While the bat incident which still haunts Oz's reputation to this day can be called an accident, the incident with the dove can be called stupidity. Here is the story: After leaving Black Sabbath, Ozzy was rejected by many record labels. Tony Martell, CBS records executive, signed Ozzy to a contract. Ozzy and wife Sharon were being introduced to the head executives of CBS records in Los Angeles (Guitar Magazine claims it was New York).

CBS was not too interested in Ozzy because they had just signed Adam Ant. Ozzy was just another album to them, and they were not interested in the person behind the music. Sharon decided it would be a good publicity stunt for Ozzy to walk into the office and throw two doves up into the air.

The stunt worked, and made CBS pay attention to Ozzy. It also made the nation pay attention to Ozzy as well: After throwing one dove up in the air, Ozzy bit the head off of the other one. It is not known whether Sharon intended for Ozzy to actually bite the dove's head off or not. Ozzy has already admitted he (not surprisingly) had drunk a bottle of booze beforehand. Make no mistake about it, Sharon Osbourne is a shrewd marketer and I wouldn't put any dirty trick past her. What follows is an interview with an eyewitness (from Epic) who saw the event:

Q: What happened?
A: It was a normal Thursday morning marketing meeting down in the conference room. It was just prior to the release of Ozzy's first solo album. His management and Jet Records, which is the associated label that puts out his albums, had arranged for him to pay a little surprise visit to us, to say "Hi, my name is Ozzy Osbourne, and let's make this record a hit".

Q: Is it unusual for the artist to come to a marketing meeting?
A: No, they seldom do. We've had people from time to time just come in. Their manager arranges for them to drop by and say, "Surprise!" just to push the album.

Q: Then what happened?
A: He walked in with Sharon, who later became his wife, and [withheld] from Jet Records. They introduced Ozzy all around, and there was a photographer with them. They sat him down on the arm of a chair, and he pulled a dove out of his pocket. I looked at it and thought, "Gee how cute!"

Q: It was a live dove?
A: I'm ninety-nine and nine-tenths sure it was alive, but now I can't say for sure. I remember I was leaning forward and thinking, "How cute," and suddenly he bites its head off. There was blood on the floor. I think he ate the head; he started spitting some feathers out. I was in shock. It's hard to remember too much after that, to tell you the truth. It was horrible.

Q: What was the reaction of the people in the room?
A: There was a stunned silence, and they got him out of there, fast. It was just very quiet-not a good reaction, I would say. People were going, "Yucch!". Some looked as though they thought it was a fake bird, that it was all just a publicity stunt. And others said "No, it's a real bird and what a horrible thing to do." Personally, I thought it was an awful thing to do even if it was a fake bird. Sharon called up afterward and sort of apologized.

Q: Do you think it was her idea all along?
A: Oh, I know it was. I said to her, "He's not mad, just desperate for publicity."

Q: Did it work? Did he get the publicity?
A: I don't think it worked in getting Epic Records to take notice, but I think it did work as far as getting the kids to take notice. When the story leaked out, with photos and all, it got around everywhere. I'm sure Sharon was calling columns all over the country. That sort of became the Ozzy legend, that and all the other things he did afterwards.

Q: Sharon said that Epic wasn't taking any notice of Ozzy before this happened.
A: I feel that people were already aware of Ozzy, prior to the meeting. My impression was certainly that he was a major artist we were going to be working with. I doubt if it changed our impression one way or the other, although I could be wrong. Obviously, he went on to great success, and maybe that was part of the reason, but who am I to say?

Q: So it was all definitely planned in advance?
A: Definitely. It was not a spontaneous act. He just didn't walk in and happen to find a dove hanging out in the CBS reception area and say, "Gee, I'll take this in with me in case I get hungry and they don't have coffee and doughnuts." It was right in his jacket pocket. Come to think of it, he had two of them. That was it: he had two of them, one in each pocket. He let the other one go afterwards. Everyone made him do it. He took the other one out of his pocket and everyone screamed, "No, don't do it again!"

Q: Did the second one fly away? That would indicate the first one was alive, wouldn't it?
A: Not necessarily. He might have had one live one and one fake one. It's just all so hazy; I was so shocked.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Thanks for posting, Idol.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Holy shit. I'm not sure that I follow this mess or the ensuing lawsuits over BOO/DOAM, but it would seem that Sharon wasn't at fault for some of the stuff that she's been accused of. I wasn't there nor am I privy to details (other than what's been publicized).... I guess that Sharon's reputation and other musicians suing for unpaid royalties doesn't help much though. What a mess!
I don't have a short attention span I