The Contracts - It Is Complicated

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: The Contracts - It Is Complicated

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I was starting to think that the Bob RR photo may have been taking at a completely different castle as i had checked out Chepstow and i think it had a moat running from the river round the back of the castle. As most castles from that period had defences in ramparts dug down to the water level. For safety and the general public being in the area, they've been filled in or drained. The photo is different from then (1980) to now, the rampart looks steeper now. Plus that arched doorway entrance to the left of the photo is half buried. I gather that the new photo with the 2 bodies standing at the drum tower are not you and your lass.
The tour dates from the 1980 tour are very sporadic the band ended up yoyo-ing up and down the country when dates got cancelled and they had gaps of up to 3 days in between venues etc. So it could of been possible to go sight seeing. I know Randy had wanted to visit Cornwall while he was touring the UK. The day after the Taunton gig was really miserable weather and he didn't get to go. I could imagine Randy took some cool photos himself when he was here and will we ever get to see them ???. I'm still scratching my head to the reason why DT is saying he was not there during the pre-production period. I just couldn't see the point in the fascination of going back to this location if they had been here for a few weeks. As it would of been recommended by them, with them previously being there. When Wales has that many cool places & castles to visit. I'd like to see DT's negatives as they would have a photo before and after this one. I just couldn't imagine him taking one pic. So they'd be other photos from that time making it easier to locate the where a-bouts of the photo when it was taking. I think Dave has convinced himself it is at Chepstow as he has no reason to say any different.
October 9th - Sophia Gardens, Cardiff, Wales
October 10th - Taunton Odeon, Taunton, England
October 11th - Wessex Hall Poole Art Centre, Poole, England
October 13th - Malvern Winter Gardens, Great Malvern, England
October 16th - Wolverhampton, England
October 17th - Mayfair Theatre, Newcastle, England
October 18th - City Hall, Hull, England
October 20th - Colston Hall, Bristol, England
Maybe the gap between Malvern and Wolverhampton ???.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I know Dt says its Chepstow but trust me ive been over that Castle a hundred times i also went there this week and took photos i cant think of where it wouldve been taken i first went there when i was 6 with my Dad he used to take us to Castles and Historic places all the time. And i sat up there by that wall getting drunk when i was a teenager , i used to go to school just down the road. So you can imagine how many times ive seen Chepstow Castle over the years!

No Mate. Its not me and the mrs, But its not Chepstow thats not a doorway though i checked it . The embankment has always been there and at that level.Look at the slits in the walls on the Randy and Bob photo it looks more like Cardiff than Chepstow but i dont think its Cardiff either. Have a good look at Cardiff Castle though and youll see what i mean.....

Heres some photos i took of Chepstow this week from where DT says the photo was taken .......
Attachments
27.jpg
castle2.jpg
(53.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Chepstow.JPG
DSC00410.JPG
Last edited by mojopin70 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

mojopin70 wrote:No Mate. Its not me and the mrs, But its not Chepstow thats not a doorway Shaun i checked it . The embankment has always been there and at that level.look at the slits in the walls on the Randy and Bob photo it looks more like Cardiff than Chepstow but i dont think its Cardiff either. Have a good look at Cardiff Castle though and youll see what i mean.....
So is the photo with 'you & your lass' not Clearwell ?. You've got me confused now. As i was saying that was a good match. Remember it was 33 years ago that photo of Bob & RR . That doorway arch-way looks right for the distance in situ ...fuck me i'm turning this photo into a crime scene. Nic.. like Lt. Colombo get your arse along there and got it photographed.. it's your baby get on it..
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

No the photo with the two people is Chepstow .

Yes i would really like to see the other photos that DT took before and after it would surely identify the city /town/ location !! If i could see a bit more in the photo . I went to Clearwell this week and took those photos ( the post with the photo of Coverdale in it) They said i could come and visit and have a proper look around.I even think we have some photos of Chepstow Castle from 1980-81 in the family photo album from when we visited when i was a little kid! Ill dig them out.

Have a look at the 4 photos i posted above your last post.They are all Chepstow where DT says the photo was taken but none of the walls match the RR photo There are slits in the walls and the battlements are different. The people in the photos are just random people!.Check out Cardiff Castle on the internet and then look at the RR Bob photo and tell me what you think....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

OK so will we ever see any images of Clearwell castle that are similar to the area photographed with Randy and Bob. Or is DT mentioning Chepstow castle now looking more like the location of the photo. OK we can see the similarities. Minus the water feature and the steepness of the ramparts etc. I know you mentioned that someone you knew said he'd been working on the renovation of Clearwell castle and he recognised the RR Bob location. I cannot see the area in the Google map and i honestly don't think it is at Clearwell now. For the position and not being accessible ??. But if the wedding parties can be photographed at the pond / lake, the area should be visible. It is looking unlikely to be Chepstow and as far as Cardiff castle ??? i can see the outer walls looking similar but i don't think it comes close to the Chepstow similarities.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

It seems like its not Chepstow or Clearwell....but when i go up to Clearwell ill take some photos of the whole area . Ive checked Chepstow over and over in photos and personally walking around it.
What i can do is email the tourist board in Chepstow with the photo and confirm it with a historian!

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The plot thickens, yeah a historian or some organisation like the national trust or whoever looks after the restoration of the castles in Wales. So it looks like DT was correct when he said " I'm afraid Bob has got it wrong, He is not infallible you know!...." but on research DT has his location mixed up with another castle. Unless the area is being over looked.
I was interested in these pics when looking at the galleries of Clearwell & Chepstow looks like the 80's by the way the crew are dressed. Another aerial view looks like autumn 'all the leaves are brown' i nearly burst into song.
Attachments
Clearwell castle filming false wall #2.jpg
Clearwell castle filming false wall.jpg
Clearwell castle aerial view.jpg
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Ive emailed this guy : Hes an expert on Castle photography! should get a reply soon have a look here ....

http://www.castlewales.com/chepstow.html

This was a filming session for a period drama , its been used for all sorts Clearwell filming,recording Sabbath,Purple,Whitesnake,Zeppelin all have been there rehearsing or recording word always travelled around when someone big was in the area and the Randy Ozzy story i had heard over 20 years ago and used to think it was tale.....Well i will check all sides of Clearwell to make sure too!. I was just looking at the tour dates for Blizzard of Ozz they played in Taunton the day after Cardiff? That means they wouldve come up on the Welsh side from Cardiff after the show and crossed the Severn Bridge over to the other side and down to Taunton on the English side. So in theory they wouldve gone over a roundabout with an exit to Chepstow the one after is for the Severn Bridge and that wouldve been the only way over the river ( today there are two bridges) so its quite possible they couldve stopped off there but as Bob said DT wouldve been driving Ozzy and Bob and Randy wouldve been with the tour manager the btw Cardiff show date was Sharons birthday so they all went out.After looking through photos of Chepstow for hours , visiting the place personally and also when i was younger and asking other people in the area it just doesnt look like Chepstow Castle! The thing is i have no problem at all with this photo being Chepstow but i cant find the location. There was never a canal or stream running alongside the walls there and there is a sheer drop on one side of the castle and the other side is a very steep embankment! Ill keep searching though......

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

OK Nic post up the location of the photo ... final piece of the puzzle....
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Yeah come on Nick, let them all know it's Cardiff where the band were playing, and that it wasn't taken on a sightseeing tour..:-)
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

For Facts Sake it was Clearwell it's in my diary.... Hang on i better rewrite history i have never been to Cardiff castle only Clearwell castle.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:For Facts Sake it was Clearwell it's in my diary.... Hang on i better rewrite history i have never been to Cardiff castle only Clearwell castle.
Shaun you're starting to sound like a twat.
Bob never said anything about the location of that photo being in his diary, the photo isn't even in his book, it was on his site when we took it over and it's always been credited to Dave Tangye. Bob said that he didn't go to Chepstow and he didn't, he said that the castle was Clearwell because Clearwell WAS the only castle that he went to with Randy. Ever been to Cardiff? That photo of Randy and Bob was taken across the moat from the outside wall of Cardiff Castle, which is smack bang in the middle of Cardiff city, it's hard not to pass the fuckin' wall at some point. They didn't visit the castle, they were in Cardiff to play a gig on the 9th of October, not to go sightseeing. As a matter of fact they all went out to celebrate Sharon's birthday that day... And that is in Bob's diary.
Last edited by Sky on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Sorry it was not in his diary it came from the lips of the man.
To Shaun (the twat), The photo of Randy and me was Clearwell Castle where we did pre-production before recording the first Blizzard album in March, 1980. We were in Monmouth together but that was prior to Clearwell, we were writing and auditioning drummers in Monmouth late 1979. It was early 1980 that we went into the studio at Ridge Farm, Surrey, to record the first Blizzard album. I lived in London at that time and Randy returned to America for Christmas 1979 and came back to continue writing and auditioning drummers early 1980 until we found Lee Kerslake. I hope this clears things up a bit for you cheers Bob
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Sorry it was not in his diary it came from the lips of the man.
To Shaun (the twat), The photo of Randy and me was Clearwell Castle where we did pre-production before recording the first Blizzard album in March, 1980. We were in Monmouth together but that was prior to Clearwell, we were writing and auditioning drummers in Monmouth late 1979. It was early 1980 that we went into the studio at Ridge Farm, Surrey, to record the first Blizzard album. I lived in London at that time and Randy returned to America for Christmas 1979 and came back to continue writing and auditioning drummers early 1980 until we found Lee Kerslake. I hope this clears things up a bit for you cheers Bob
AND? How many times do I have to say this... Bob said that the castle in that photo was Clearwell because Clearwell WAS the only castle that he went to with Randy. Was he visiting Chepstow Castle when that photo was taken as Dave Tangye insisted? NO! He was in Cardiff across the moat from THE OUTSIDE WALL OF THE CASTLE which is part of Cardiff city.
Did Bob mistake one castle wall for another? Yes! ... BIG FUCKIN' DEAL!!!
Nice of Bob, as always, to reply to your message IMO.
Last edited by Sky on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Knickers in a twist dude calm down its just a little mishap.... Bob was wrong Dave was wrong Nic was wrong I was EVEN WRONG ...Move on dude Bob's memory isn't what it used to be...