European vs. American guitarists.

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Re: Clips from the Randy Rhoads Remembered concert.

Post by whoopiecat »

European guitarists outshine those from the states, imho...

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

whoopiecat wrote:European guitarists outshine those from the states, imho...

~T.
Such as? I'm serious, off the top of my head the only guys I can think of are from Maiden and Priest - I know there are others, I just can't think of them, well I like Clapton and Richards, too...
Tito wrote:If i can interject one moment?
No, you can't. Go away.

I like Gilbert as a teacher, but I don't care for a lot of his records. I did love the idea of Get Out of my Yard being released as a CD and and instructional DVD.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Brian may paul??
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Tito wrote:Brian may paul??

Yeah, he's good... still prefer the kids from L.A. (and the Jersey guys from Skid Row and the Boston guys from Aerosmith)
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

But without the european legends we wouldnt have the music we "had" in the 60s 70s and early 80s..
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Actually, the legends stole from the American blues guys and Jimi... but I get your meaning.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Minus jimi(with all respect to him),he was doing the same as the american black blues players were doing back in th 20's 30's and forward,only jimi did it with marshalls and stompboxes and way louder.if you take the distortion n pedals from jimis playing theres no difference between the originators(american black blues players,before him),and what jimi was doing at the time..
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Hendrix still had to come to the UK to be recognised thanks to Chas Chandler bringing him to my home town. The rest is history...Yeah the guitarists of Europe made a big impact on the scene. The Beatles and Elvis did lots to change the way forward.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

The Schenker Brothers, Blackmore, Iommi, Page, The Young brothers
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

It certainly has ping-ponged back and forth...Angus' main influence is Chuck Berry.
Don't get me wrong, there is stuff I do like stateside, circa 70s & 80s, but when I look at my iTunes, the Eastern side of the Atlantic is represented by full albums, where a lot Stateside is mostly greatest hits.
Ratt, W.A.S.P. & Dokken for Stateside 80s. Asmith, Kiss and Cheap Trick for 70s... of course VHs "original six" is automatically included.
~T.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

The young bros and scott were scottish born raised in australia.Mark evans i believe australian..phil was born in australia..now cliff was from england and brian was from new castle i think..not to correct anybody but to me the most influential bands came from england australia or ireland and swedan..
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

European hard rock/metal has more of an appeal to me, for some reason...maybe it was the things that Lord & Blackmore, Page & Jones and Iommi & Butler were doing, in terms of melding American Rock, Rhythm & Blues to the Classical influence that is embedded in the heart of Europe.
American Rock is more blue-collar and has more of a delinquent, cocky feel to it, which I suppose, makes sense.
I'm not very astute when it comes to classical. I certainly admire a lot of it, I've also a serious jones for the film scores of cinema, past and present.
Michael Schenker specifically sought out English players for his band as soon as he stuck out on his own. The same goes for Ronnie James Dio. Randy flourished when he went to the UK...
~T.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

whoopiecat wrote:European hard rock/metal has more of an appeal to me, for some reason...maybe it was the things that Lord & Blackmore, Page & Jones and Iommi & Butler were doing, in terms of melding American Rock, Rhythm & Blues to the Classical influence that is embedded in the heart of Europe.
American Rock is more blue-collar and has more of a delinquent, cocky feel to it, which I suppose, makes sense.
Well said, and it makes sense.

For me, the best form of music is rockabilly, I could listen to that forever. The stuff I like best is an extension of that music; a little louder, a bit more distorted and often faster, but born of the same roots.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Hey, another thread gone off-topic, but, whaddayagonnado? Just buddies riffin' on bullshit.
Someone from the strip I always dug, was Stryper. Of course, these guys got shit from every side, but there was some really great guitar on there, Yellow & Black & Soldiers, especially.
I was one who preferred Ratt over Motley. Their albums came with better filler. Motley had the better drummer, but they had a lazier singer, and Nikki admits most of the catalogue could've received better effort, on his part. Mick always gets respect. Sick-ass tone on the debut!
Dokken had it going on pretty good. Don had a great voice, but the lyrics could get sad Sam. I always felt George, Jeff & Mick made a great band.
W.A.S.P. had some pretty tasty guitar work, and Blackie would probably have the most powerful voice for Stateside rockers, apart from Geoff Tate.
~T.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Tito wrote:The young bros and scott were scottish born raised in australia.Mark evans i believe australian..phil was born in australia..now cliff was from england and brian was from new castle i think..not to correct anybody but to me the most influential bands came from england australia or ireland and swedan..
Tito yeah the Young's emigrated to Australia at a 'young' age no pun intended. Born in Glasgow Scotland i think Angus was about 8 years old. Brian Johnson comes from Dunston Gateshead in Newcastle upon Tyne my home town.