This could be true.

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

Re: This could be true.

Post by oth »

what is so dark about fw?...ive never understood this claim by the press...i know evh was pissed with dlr and wanted to quit music but the album is as upbeat and party like as anything with maybe meanstreets being the exception.

as for vh lyrics not being deep or serious...vh or dlr never aimed for that...they wrote somewhat funny/clever party lyrics and was never meant to be inferred as anything other...

when evh hooked up with the red poodle,that i will grant you, it went to total cheese pop crap.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

I actually think that the first VH album is their darkest.
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I never considered VH metal, just hard rock. I agree the first album and FW were the heaviest if they could be called heavy. Even their heavier stuff has vibe or mood where you think this is a band wanting to sound heavy but can't.

EVH in my opinion always had total artistic control. After DLR left I get the impression it was he and his brothers band period. He hires and fires singers so whatever music they put out was what he wanted to do at the time. Or maybe due to his drinking just said whatever.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

"Vtrockgod"]"mojopin70"]
Vtrockgod wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:I was thinking one band that i have seen Eddie Van Halen on video in an interview praising was Black Sabbath Van Halen opened for Sabbath in the early days and Eddie commented that Sabbath were the masters of the riff. So i wonder if it really is that hard to believe that EVH went in to a record store and bought " Ozzy Osbourne`s" new record ( DIary of a Madman" to see if it had any great riffs on it?

We all know what EVH wouldve found...........A very brilliant dark and heavy album with great songs, great Riffs, great melodies,solos,arrangements , DIary of a Madman wouldve made Van Halens stuff at the time seem like immature pop /rock.

Considering the most recent VH record at the time was "Fair Warning", I don't think of VH during that time as bubblegum at all. That record is DARK.

I guess coming from the uk with the weather history and bands i have an antenna for darkness in music done well. I remember when i bought " reign in blood " in 86. I consider that to be a bench mark in american metal.
I don't see how one's location or Slayer fits into this. Your opinion is that "Diary" makes Van Halen's music at the time seem like immature pop. My opinion, and one that is shared by many people, is that "Fair Warning", which was the record that VH released about six months before "Diary", is not a poppy record at all. It is, again in my opinion, by far the grimmest record they ever put out. If you want to say that "Diary" is heavier, fine, and an argument can be made for that. But "Mean Streets", "Dirty Movies", "Hear about it Later", "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" etc. etc. are not poppy at all.
If you were to ask Black Sabbath if you think their location had anything to do with the sound, attitude, vision i think youll find that location had everything to do with it.Its well documented the same goes Napalm Death ,Venom ,Cathedral or Carcass. To me Van Halen`s music is funtime sunny californian pop rock in spandax and many more bands of that ilk spawned afterwards....They probably were the best at it though.

You dont need to tell me you have people sharing your opinion to get your opinion across...its fine.

Slayers content and music to me stood out at the time considering the other bands at the time coming out of the us.

Diary of a Madman is closer to a darker british metal sound.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

oth wrote:what is so dark about fw?...ive never understood this claim by the press...i know evh was pissed with dlr and wanted to quit music but the album is as upbeat and party like as anything with maybe meanstreets being the exception.

as for vh lyrics not being deep or serious...vh or dlr never aimed for that...they wrote somewhat funny/clever party lyrics and was never meant to be inferred as anything other...

when evh hooked up with the red poodle,that i will grant you, it went to total cheese pop crap.
Im going to have a listen to Fair Warning again .However i can say that " masters of reality" was definitely Sabbath`s heaviest album that i do know!
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

mojopin70 wrote:"Vtrockgod"]"mojopin70"]
Vtrockgod wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:I was thinking one band that i have seen Eddie Van Halen on video in an interview praising was Black Sabbath Van Halen opened for Sabbath in the early days and Eddie commented that Sabbath were the masters of the riff. So i wonder if it really is that hard to believe that EVH went in to a record store and bought " Ozzy Osbourne`s" new record ( DIary of a Madman" to see if it had any great riffs on it?

We all know what EVH wouldve found...........A very brilliant dark and heavy album with great songs, great Riffs, great melodies,solos,arrangements , DIary of a Madman wouldve made Van Halens stuff at the time seem like immature pop /rock.

Considering the most recent VH record at the time was "Fair Warning", I don't think of VH during that time as bubblegum at all. That record is DARK.

I guess coming from the uk with the weather history and bands i have an antenna for darkness in music done well. I remember when i bought " reign in blood " in 86. I consider that to be a bench mark in american metal.
I don't see how one's location or Slayer fits into this. Your opinion is that "Diary" makes Van Halen's music at the time seem like immature pop. My opinion, and one that is shared by many people, is that "Fair Warning", which was the record that VH released about six months before "Diary", is not a poppy record at all. It is, again in my opinion, by far the grimmest record they ever put out. If you want to say that "Diary" is heavier, fine, and an argument can be made for that. But "Mean Streets", "Dirty Movies", "Hear about it Later", "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" etc. etc. are not poppy at all.
If you were to ask Black Sabbath if you think their location had anything to do with the sound, attitude, vision i think youll find that location had everything to do with it.Its well documented the same goes Napalm Death ,Venom ,Cathedral or Carcass. To me Van Halen`s music is funtime sunny californian pop rock in spandax and many more bands of that ilk spawned afterwards....They probably were the best at it though.

You dont need to tell me you have people sharing your opinion to get your opinion across...its fine.

Slayers content and music to me stood out at the time considering the other bands at the time coming out of the us.

Diary of a Madman is closer to a darker british metal sound.
I wasn't referring to band's locations as I was your statement about your personal background giving you more of an "antenna" considering what is heavy/dark. And yes, I would concur that "DOAM" is closer to a classic British metal/hard rock feel.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

There is a dark undertone to FW compared to say DD or 1984, but VH is an in your face rock and roll band not a metal band so of course it wont be as dark or heavy as DOAM. However for those that say that all the Sammy stuff is poopy fluff, you should check you the Balance album and then tell me that all they did with Sammy is poppy (Balance is by far their darkest album)
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Why is it that quite often, one can take just about any discussion about Randy Rhoads and it somehow degenerates into VH or EVH?! Just an observation :-*
I don't have a short attention span I
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

As you all might have noticed, this topic is more about Eddie Van Halen than Randy Rhoads,
so a move to the 'Other Music & Musicians' area is appropriate.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

RRfan4eveRR wrote:Why is it that quite often, one can take just about any discussion about Randy Rhoads and it somehow degenerates into VH or EVH?! Just an observation :-*

hello??? its the internet
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

oth wrote:
RRfan4eveRR wrote:Why is it that quite often, one can take just about any discussion about Randy Rhoads and it somehow degenerates into VH or EVH?! Just an observation :-*

hello??? its the internet
NO!!!!! ;) is he the only comparable guitarist or something? Maybe it's just because I've never been a fan of V.H. I don't get all the hype. Just my opinion, not a big deal.
I don't have a short attention span I
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

I only like Eddie's tone on the first two albums. He sounded better when he didn't have the money to buy all the fancy gear.