This could be true.

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re: This could be true.

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

oth wrote:evh is a backstabber and a shameless one at that...the ma move was unreal...he even removed ma's image from the cd covers on their website but put it back after too much backlash....ive heard audio tapes of the guy and he s not really a people person...still is my fave guitarist.
anything ed did to piss off hagar is fine by me.hagar is a bigger a hole than evh and unlike ed,has no musical talent whatsoever(in a non-britney spears sense)...on the 5150 tour hagar would badmouth roth and wave anti dlr banners on stage-all this while wearing a bette midler/flock of seagulls haircut and peach parachute pants.It was the worst concert i ever saw.Contrast this with the best concert i ever saw which was only 2 yrs prior and funny enough,was van halen also albeit with a real showman and leader,dlr.
Haha! You read Hagar's book, where he said he knew what kind of a show it would be by seeing if Ed had his hair tied back in a ponytail? Then he talks about going over to his house, and Ed has shit lying all over the place, and how it looked like a homeless person lived there. EVH has some issues, it would seem.

I read Hagar's book more out of curiosity, as I wasn't familiar with his run in VH, and being a music fan, was interested in learning more. I've never been impressed by his music, which is pedestrian, including his stuff with VH, IMO. However, he has solid business acumen, and has proven himself to be much smarter than your average rocker with his business ventures. Don't care for his music, but I gotta respect someone that's that good with money and has worked hard and made good investments.

That being said, you'd think with the $$$ the guy has, he could look less like a goof. You're absolutely right about his look around 5150; he looked absolutely stupid. I'm shocked ANY groupies went near his silly ass around this time, but he brags about getting laid a lot and "living the rock n roll lifestyle". Further proof, folks, that you can look like a billy goat, have moderate talent, and still be a successful artist.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

fame will get u pussy no matter if your covered in shit head to toe ....come visit LA and you will see all the girls following the yellow brick road and their dreams of success and willing to do ANYTHING to get a taste of mansions and millionaires...hot young chicks with old ugly dicks.

i dont care about a rockstars business acumen especially when they are selling garbage....there are many way more successful hustlers than hagar and simmons...they are a dime a dozen in the usa...they dont produce anything new they just figure out a new marketing or new packaging-big deal.And their product is tacky crap just filling the shelves with more forgettable products.The success of that crap product is also more luck than anything.Do you think 50cent or puff daddy or jessica simpson are good business men?i think they tthrew mud at the wall to see what stuck and lucked out...there was no risk of failure cuz they had a fat cushion of cash to fall back on.So not a big loss if they fail.Why do you think they werent biz peeps before music?because they are just dumb musicians.They made a ton of money,had some partners and managers suggest they put their famous name on a product and see if their massive fan base will fall for their snake-oil pitch.
I think just about every celebrity has tried their hand at some business venture and most have failed.
Now if you are elon musk,steve jobs who actually innovate and make a decent product,that is admirable and very respectable.

rockstars should rock and sammy doesnt rock.
i remember when hagar was introduced to the world for the first time on ET in 1985 with the rest of the band as the new singer....just from his look i almost puked and knew it was bad news...that poodle haircut and fake wannabe cool talk was so off putting...he tries to be a motormouth like dlr but dave s loopy talk is funny,genuine and smart at times....the word that describes sammy:non-genuine.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

oth wrote:fame will get u pussy no matter if your covered in shit head to toe ....come visit LA and you will see all the girls following the yellow brick road and their dreams of success and willing to do ANYTHING to get a taste of mansions and millionaires...hot young chicks with old ugly dicks.

i dont care about a rockstars business acumen especially when they are selling garbage....there are many way more successful hustlers than hagar and simmons...they are a dime a dozen in the usa...they dont produce anything new they just figure out a new marketing or new packaging-big deal.And their product is tacky crap just filling the shelves with more forgettable products.The success of that crap product is also more luck than anything.Do you think 50cent or puff daddy or jessica simpson are good business men?i think they tthrew mud at the wall to see what stuck and lucked out...there was no risk of failure cuz they had a fat cushion of cash to fall back on.So not a big loss if they fail.Why do you think they werent biz peeps before music?because they are just dumb musicians.They made a ton of money,had some partners and managers suggest they put their famous name on a product and see if their massive fan base will fall for their snake-oil pitch.
I think just about every celebrity has tried their hand at some business venture and most have failed.
Now if you are elon musk,steve jobs who actually innovate and make a decent product,that is admirable and very respectable.

rockstars should rock and sammy doesnt rock.
i remember when hagar was introduced to the world for the first time on ET in 1985 with the rest of the band as the new singer....just from his look i almost puked and knew it was bad news...that poodle haircut and fake wannabe cool talk was so off putting...he tries to be a motormouth like dlr but dave s loopy talk is funny,genuine and smart at times....the word that describes sammy:non-genuine.

I don't agree with this statement

Sammy worked hard to get where he was and is in life
Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he is total crap and can't sing ect.

Sammy put up with a lot of eddies crap DRUGS-DRINKING

Just look at the 2002 concert EDDIE WAS FUC... UP BAD
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Im not even gonna comment on this subject other than I could see the disbelief of EVH buying Diary,or just the odds of Randy being in the store at the same moment just incredible!! = would assume their "fued/rivalry) sorta ended when VHI came out and left. QR in the dust...Or mabey EVH felt threatened once .comlizzard came out & Eddie was simply a Fan? I. Mean he was a Sabbath fan,VH was even named Rat Salad after the Sabbath song!And after supporting Ozz & Sabbath on their last tour,he was prob on friendly terms w/Ozzy?All theese what ifs get silly to me after a certin level...To me Randy & Eddie are like apples & oranges...really quite different to the point that to compare them isnt really fair? What critera would you use?Me,since I was like 6 RR was my favorite,and since my mid teens I always used this analogy...its more af an opinion really,but what do u guys think?
Now when it comes down to it,I feel confident that Randy could play/replicate all of eddies riffs & solos.But if the tables turned,I just dont think Eddie could exicute alot of Randys intricate scales accuratly,as Eddie hardly EVER uses his pinky during his solos on runs & scales.

Oh yeah,someone commented about how "Randy was rumored " to have said Diary was tuned down cuz the tuner was mis calibrated.But Randy Does say that Himself! If you listen to the guitar seminar.It just sounded like they were comparing that "fact" to the EVH/Diary story?
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

DMRX wrote:Im not even gonna comment on this subject other than I could see the disbelief of EVH buying Diary,or just the odds of Randy being in the store at the same moment just incredible!! = would assume their "fued/rivalry) sorta ended when VHI came out and left. QR in the dust...Or mabey EVH felt threatened once .comlizzard came out & Eddie was simply a Fan? I. Mean he was a Sabbath fan,VH was even named Rat Salad after the Sabbath song!And after supporting Ozz & Sabbath on their last tour,he was prob on friendly terms w/Ozzy?All theese what ifs get silly to me after a certin level...To me Randy & Eddie are like apples & oranges...really quite different to the point that to compare them isnt really fair? What critera would you use?Me,since I was like 6 RR was my favorite,and since my mid teens I always used this analogy...its more af an opinion really,but what do u guys think?
Now when it comes down to it,I feel confident that Randy could play/replicate all of eddies riffs & solos.But if the tables turned,I just dont think Eddie could exicute alot of Randys intricate scales accuratly,as Eddie hardly EVER uses his pinky during his solos on runs & scales.

Oh yeah,someone commented about how "Randy was rumored " to have said Diary was tuned down cuz the tuner was mis calibrated.But Randy Does say that Himself! If you listen to the guitar seminar.It just sounded like they were comparing that "fact" to the EVH/Diary story?

I dont think Bob`s tuner was out too that would mean Randy`s and Bob`s tuners were " out" ive never come across a tuner that has tuned my guitar half a step out anyway, he said it was to help Ozzy`s vocal range a bit and to create a heavier sound and that it was deliberate.....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

Eddie uses his pinky all the time!
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I have not been an EVH fan for a long time, but right after RR death some magazine had like an article in which current well known guitarist commented little blubs about what they thought of Randy. EVH said something to the effect it was tragic and he was a phenomenal player. I wish I could remember what mag and date.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I was thinking one band that i have seen Eddie Van Halen on video in an interview praising was Black Sabbath Van Halen opened for Sabbath in the early days and Eddie commented that Sabbath were the masters of the riff. So i wonder if it really is that hard to believe that EVH went in to a record store and bought " Ozzy Osbourne`s" new record ( DIary of a Madman" to see if it had any great riffs on it?

We all know what EVH wouldve found...........A very brilliant dark and heavy album with great songs, great Riffs, great melodies,solos,arrangements , DIary of a Madman wouldve made Van Halens stuff at the time seem like immature pop /rock.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

As oth mentioned, I don't think EVH would've went to a record store himself, as his record company probably supplied him with whatever records he wished to own, not to mention that I'm certain logistics were an issue for any VH band member at the height of their fame. I don't think he enjoyed many impromptu outings without fans mobbing him, depending upon where he lived.

I'm still incredulous that the authors of this bio quote Randy himself as the source of this incredible tale, I wonder what other stories are in there that are attributed to Randy himself.
I don't have a short attention span I
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

mojopin70 wrote:
We all know what EVH wouldve found...........A very brilliant dark and heavy album with great songs, great Riffs, great melodies,solos,arrangements , DIary of a Madman wouldve made Van Halens stuff at the time seem like immature pop /rock.
i dont think eddie regards vh or ozzys music as mature.VH is party music and is great at that...on the other hand ozzys music can be at times pre-pubescent on a maturity level ex: mr crowley(what went on in your head,did u talk to the dead) and diary of a madman are almost parodies.I love ozzys music with rr but the subject matter... i try not to let it detract from the music.Looking at the diary cover is almost a message to not buy it if youre older than 15.
I probably would have liked ozzy at 16 but for the stupid satan crap,crosses,bats that looked almost as silly as the kiss marketing machine.It was a big turn off for me,totally cheezy.
Eddie was never scared of the competition or randy rhoads nor needed to be.Although blizzard and diary are awesome,when they were released eddie released the mother load of guitar playing called Fair Warning.
The only time vh sounded immature or poppy is when he hooked up with that fool sammy-cabo-whatever.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

oth wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:
i dont think eddie regards vh or ozzys music as mature.VH is party music and is great at that...on the other hand ozzys music can be at times pre-pubescent on a maturity level ex: mr crowley(what went on in your head,did u talk to the dead) and diary of a madman are almost parodies.I love ozzys music with rr but the subject matter... i try not to let it detract from the music.Looking at the diary cover is almost a message to not buy it if youre older than 15.
I probably would have liked ozzy at 16 but for the stupid satan crap,crosses,bats that looked almost as silly as the kiss marketing machine.It was a big turn off for me,totally cheezy.
Eddie was never scared of the competition or randy rhoads nor needed to be.Although blizzard and diary are awesome,when they were released eddie released the mother load of guitar playing called Fair Warning.
The only time vh sounded immature or poppy is when he hooked up with that fool sammy-cabo-whatever.

I get what youre saying but i think you need to consider this point when i was 12 the music sounded mature and i didnt understand the lyrical content or meanings.Whether the cover was a joke or not when i put the record on it certainly sounded the opposite.

Now over 25 years later when i listen to the songs i realise that they are not cheesy lyrically at all with no meaning like many of Van Halens songs they are pretty deep felt songs.
They are still thinking mans heavy metal songs. They stood the test of time in my opinion.

I doubt Bob Daisley wrote the lyrics with the intention of people seeing his work as some kind of parody.
The title track was dealing with serious mental illness and its tragic if you understand whos point of view it is coming from.

I certainly never laughed when listening to any of the tracks from Diary or even Blizzard so if it was meant to be a parody of some kind it didnt have that affect on me.

The Band certainly didnt choose the album cover for Diary or the cover before it on Blizzard.
I thought the lyrical content of Diary was deep. Bob Daisley wrote S.a.t.o about Buddhism originally.

As a reviewer said at the time: Thinking mans heavy metal.

RRfan4eveRR

Post by RRfan4eveRR »

Now that we're older, compared to other artists and acts, yeah VH and Ozzy seem almost a parody, but at the time, both acts were deemed ground breaking and innovative. I guess we could almost call it hindsight, but what other artists were posting on their album covers, dressed like that and covered in blood? In 1979/1980?
I don't have a short attention span I
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

mojopin70 wrote:I was thinking one band that i have seen Eddie Van Halen on video in an interview praising was Black Sabbath Van Halen opened for Sabbath in the early days and Eddie commented that Sabbath were the masters of the riff. So i wonder if it really is that hard to believe that EVH went in to a record store and bought " Ozzy Osbourne`s" new record ( DIary of a Madman" to see if it had any great riffs on it?

Considering the most recent VH record at the time was "Fair Warning", I don't think of VH during that time as bubblegum at all. That record is DARK.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Vtrockgod wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:I was thinking one band that i have seen Eddie Van Halen on video in an interview praising was Black Sabbath Van Halen opened for Sabbath in the early days and Eddie commented that Sabbath were the masters of the riff. So i wonder if it really is that hard to believe that EVH went in to a record store and bought " Ozzy Osbourne`s" new record ( DIary of a Madman" to see if it had any great riffs on it?

Considering the most recent VH record at the time was "Fair Warning", I don't think of VH during that time as bubblegum at all. That record is DARK.
I guess coming from the uk with the weather history and bands i have an antenna for darkness in music done well. I remember when i bought " reign in blood " in 86. I consider that to be a bench mark in american metal.

Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

mojopin70 wrote:
Vtrockgod wrote:

I guess coming from the uk with the weather history and bands i have an antenna for darkness in music done well. I remember when i bought " reign in blood " in 86. I consider that to be a bench mark in american metal.
I don't see how one's location or Slayer fits into this. Your opinion is that "Diary" makes Van Halen's music at the time seem like immature pop. My opinion, and one that is shared by many people, is that "Fair Warning", which was the record that VH released about six months before "Diary", is not a poppy record at all. It is, again in my opinion, by far the grimmest record they ever put out. If you want to say that "Diary" is heavier, fine, and an argument can be made for that. But "Mean Streets", "Dirty Movies", "Hear about it Later", "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" etc. etc. are not poppy at all.