Did Randy try a Boss OD1 ?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Did Randy try a Boss OD1 ?

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

wareagle wrote:look at this picture. that looks like it. but its not a od-1. it looks like its yellow, similar shape... but definatly not the od-1. its on top of his space echo on the table...
Elliot not to burst your bubble on your theory about what peddles Randy used but that yellow shaped box is a packet of cigarettes. If you look closely they are a brand of 'Benson & Hedges' a box of matches is next to them. Randy smoked these while he was in England.
As far as the OD-1 peddle goes did the pedal not get modded into the Chippan board. Only a theory and could he of just been experimenting with his sound ?. He was always using different space echoe units and he may of added that peddle to use on a solo. Purely speculation but it makes sense ?.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

It's definitely a yellow stompbox. Instead of the OD-1 from Boss, it could be a DOD 250, did appear in yellow also then and had two knobs. From what I heard Randy's pedalboard had possibilties to switch outboard effects into the signal chain.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
The Flying Dutchman

Cryptic Night wrote:To me, it makes some sense. I mean, I've never played through his amp, with his settings and pedal board, but his tone has always seemed very full and distorted and such.

But whenever I hear people playing through his signature amp, and a D+ and EQ and such, their tone sounds weaker than Randy's. Maybe it's just me though.
That's because most people don't use it to push an old NMV 4-holer which is crancked up a bit.
You'll never get that same fullness whithout some powertube distortion.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

yeah the boss would have the rubber that looks like a regular switch... it wouldnt suprise me about the dod... i had one too... its a good pedal. however id think itd be for a backup if anything...

embarresing... now looking at it again.... its definatly cigarrettes haha... damn :)
Mozart82

Post by Mozart82 »

I think the first time Randy played in L.A. with Ozzy his pedal board was messed up and he had to go out and buy some different stomp boxes. It would be great to hear from his guitar techs of the differnent tours what all he experimented with. It seems he would of had some mxr back up pedals or at least a dist.+ One other thought is he could of used one additional pedal in the photo because one inside the pedal board wasn't switching on and off correctly.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

wareagle wrote:look at this picture. that looks like it. but its not a od-1. it looks like its yellow, similar shape... but definatly not the od-1. its on top of his space echo on the table...

and in the first photo you can clearly see that at day on the green he didnt have it.

What are you talking about ? that is a packet of Benson and Hedges cigarettes and a box of matches!
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

mojopin70 wrote:

and in the first photo you can clearly see that at day on the green he didnt have it.

What are you talking about ? that is a packet of Benson and Hedges cigarettes and a box of matches!
If you go back onto page 2 and look at the post 'Wareagle' posted up its the black and white photo of Randy at Ridge farm he has a packet of cigarettes on top of his space echo unit. He thought it was a stomp box.. I was letting him know it was anything but..
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

You can clearly see a yellow stomp box in this photo here
Attachments
Randy Cleveland 1981.jpg
The Flying Dutchman

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:ImageYou can clearly see a yellow stomp box in this photo here
Thnx Shaun! See the guy in background with the glasses wearing headphones...? Is this pic from the Montreal/Cleveland show?

btw definitely a Boss type stompbox with two knobs. As far as I know there was only 1 pedal in 1981 what looked like that:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Pat the photo is from the Cleveland 81 gig.. What about the guy with the glasses wearing headphones ? he is the monitor stage sound guy ?.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

I think if he used a boss od1 live for a while it wouldnt have been hugely noticeable from the mxr dist + as a boost . From what i heard he had the mxr on all the time live but the settings i dont know. So it wouldnt have been used together with the mxr it wouldve been a garish sound . He might have used it as a boost for a certain song or lead in a certain song or simply trying it out to see if it was the right thing for him at that moment or as some people have said his pedalboard was playing up.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
The Flying Dutchman

Pretty sure now he did:
Attachments
OD1.jpg
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

:D Well, not sure if Randy tried this pedal or not (these came out in 1981, so he could have...), but I got one of these for quite cheap (I think), so I will put into this other pedalboard I will fix up.
Mikel
The Flying Dutchman

stealaway wrote::D Well, not sure if Randy tried this pedal or not (these came out in 1981, so he could have...), but I got one of these for quite cheap (I think), so I will put into this other pedalboard I will fix up.
I'm pretty sure. And it makes even more sense when in Rudy's book Rudy wrote the stage volume had to be very low when they recorded the Cleveland show. I think as a solution to the lower volume of the Marshalls and so less overdrive he pushed the MXR distortion with the OD1 to get more overdrive. FWIW just my speculation. :)
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I'm pretty sure. And it makes even more sense when in Rudy's book Rudy wrote the stage volume had to be very low when they recorded the Cleveland show. I think as a solution to the lower volume of the Marshalls and so less overdrive he pushed the MXR distortion with the OD1 to get more overdrive. FWIW just my speculation. :)[/quote]

Yeah, that would make sense!!! :P
Mikel