Off The Rails by Rudy Sarzo

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Off The Rails by Rudy Sarzo

Post by axeman_12656 »

i am just about to finish OFF THE RAILS by Rudy Sarzo and i just had to message everyone and tell them to pick it up. i cant' put it down. I havent read a book in years but Rudys day by day account keeps me wondering what will happen next!! Its well written and doesn't hide anything. what do those of you who have already read it think about it? i look forward to your opinions.

Take care
Josh
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Mick E. Gee

Post by Mick E. Gee »

I'm going to have to that up. Thanks :D
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

its well worth it!! Some on this board seem like they just want to discredit the book. but truth is if you are a randy rhaods fan this book was written for you. and it gives us insight that we haven't ever seen before. it was awesome!!

Josh
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

axeman_12656 wrote:its well worth it!! Some on this board seem like they just want to discredit the book. but truth is if you are a randy rhaods fan this book was written for you. and it gives us insight that we haven't ever seen before. it was awesome!!

Josh

Some on this board are not trying to discredit this book, but rather trying to start up conversation about the book. For example, pointing out errors in facts gives everyone - including Rudy - the opportunity to discuss the errors. Rudy took the opportunity to let us know the book does indeed have some typographical errors which will be addressed in the next edition.

The book is indeed VERY good and gives a point of view we have never had before. I would recommend it to all Randy fans. However, there are things that don't seem to jibe with what I've seen in print before. Which doesn't mean what has been printed before was correct either. Again, opportunity for discussion.

One quest this book brought to my mind was about the shirt Ozzy wore on the After Hours show. The book suggests it was made by Thelma and it is mentioned at a completely different time than the After Hours taping. It doesn't track, but I'd have to read the book and study things to work some of these things out.

This doesn't mean I liked the book any less, it simply means that after reading about Randy Rhoads for 26 years, this book gives insight but doesn't answer all the questions I'd hoped it would.

So, in closing, buy the book, read the book, enjoy it, it's very good.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

The book is great and very hard to put down
rokket
Madman

have to get it.

Post by rokket »

I know it's out, but have not been able to get a copy yet.
rhoads157

Post by rhoads157 »

Great book indeed!
Read it and it left me wanting more....

David
dogfall

Post by dogfall »

It is just hard for me to argue with anything Rudy has put in this book..if you will remember everything he has listed comes from a diary that was taken for tax reasons during the tours. I would say this book is as close to fact as you are going to get. Plus who in there right mind would take the words of others over the band members who was apart of what is listed in the book. To be honest with you ,I have had this conversation with Rudy and he feels the same way the main reason for him creating this book was because of mis-information via internet and media and more than anything the fans that always were asking him about Randy.
LoVe Life
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

dogfall wrote:everything he has listed comes from a diary that was taken for tax reasons during the tours.
I find this comment interesting, because I have heard it said before and it just seems a bit "off". A Diary kept for tax purposes would list financial figures because no one is taxed on their experiences, just the money they make and spend during those experiences. Now, granted, it would be a simple matter to keep the financial records in the book and notate experiences that also occurred at the time. Such notations would jog the memories 25 years down the road.

I believe Rudy was as honest as he could be when producing this book, but that doesn't mean it should be taken as 100% gospel, even though he was there. I'm sure the Osbournes insisted on seeing a copy prior to it's release as it details experiences with both Sharon and Ozzy. It is common thought that The Osbournes alter reality to suit their needs, so it is possible that the insisted that things be presented in a certain manner.

Again, I thought the book was great and I think it's great that Rudy took the time to put it out. I just have difficulty when anyone is put on a pedestal the way Rudy has been in regards to his relationship with Randy. So I will always take these things with a grain of salt.

It'd be nice to see Kevin DuBrow take the time to write a book about Randy. He says he's busy with Quiet Riot and wants to live in the present, not the past, but if Rudy could do it, so could he. Rudy is in a world touring band and has a lot of projects going on but he took the time, for that alone I give him loads of respect.

It would be nice to have books about Randy from Kevin's perspective, Rudy's perspective, Kelly's perspective and his familiy's perspective. THey all knew and loved him and they could all give accounts of the different sides of Randy Rhoads. I know it won't happen, but it would be nice.
dogfall

Post by dogfall »

Yes I guess that would be cool to.. but the fact of the matter is OZZY made Randy and Rudy known and if that transition would not have happened who knows where Randy would have went on to be? because he was not into the rock and roll thing falling deep into his studies of classical music.

In saying that ,Rudy told me personally that his family accountant told him to simply keep a diary day by day of things you do and the money spent will be remembered. He told me he was sober during these days and it turned into fun writing things down that happened so that's it.

I played on the road and lived the lifestyle and I can tell you it would have not only taken a diary for me to remember anything,someone would have had to do it for me because I was wasted from travel,booze,other party favs,and going to sleep every moring around seven after staying up all night "party animal " hehe and doing the exact same thing the next day..instead of eating lunch and dinner we simply went to the liquor store "seven years worth 52 weeks a year .

It's hard for me to believe Rudy did not fall into the same category as I and others! but from what he say's he was sober. It get's pretty boring on the road especially if you are sober lol.. you can only watch Jerry Springer so much until you become jailed in your hotel room.

Kevin knows allot about Randy but Rudy knows all about Randy during the Ozzy days ..The days that made us all start to ask questions and some pre Quiet Riot.

All of us road dogs have a commen understanding and those who don't go by it can kiss my a*% "what's on the road stays on the road" I would ask his crew members and band members First about things you would like to know but good luck! One of the guys on TK just got shut down by Jake Duncon some of these people just refuse to answer any questions.

I don't think any of them lie to compete to see who knows the most about Randy..you can blame the media for the mis leading crap.

It's just hard for me to tell anyone that is doing a bio on part of a personal life that they don't have the facts .
LoVe Life
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

I'm still waiting on my copy.