Is it possible?

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Is it possible?

Post by TheMrAxeman »

Is it possible to change where the input jack is on a guitar and fill in the hole where it originaly was somehow, and how much would it cost?
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: Is it possible?

Post by rice_pudding »

Well there is nothing to stop you changing the position of the jack, it just takes a hole, the only thing that might be an issue is the routing of the guitars body. I would start to question the sense if you had to take a chunk out of your body.

As for filling in the hole, it would depend what you mean by 'fill in' and how good you want it to look. But again its possible.

If you take it to a good tech I'm sure they could do it. It would probably be one of the more unusual requests they've had mind :P I've no idea what it would cost, but given the materials required and fundamentals of the task I would personally expect it to cost around the same amount as fixing a broken neck; maybe less???

There are no doubt far more qualified people on the forum to answer such a question.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

If you have a Polkadot v replica and wanna change the input jack I strongly suggest you don't. its just not wortth it. And I am sure over time it would show effects with cracks in the clear coat and so on.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

axeman_12656 wrote:If you have a Polkadot v replica and wanna change the input jack I strongly suggest you don't. its just not wortth it. And I am sure over time it would show effects with cracks in the clear coat and so on.
I was going to buy one by exit98, but then i decided to save up for a more quality one. one thats more close to the original, so i wouldn't have to do that... and because im tired of buying cheap guitars.
Who makes really good pdv's?
im looking at gmw right now.
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

If you take it to a quality luthier, and I would suggest one who works for one of the major guitar manufacturers (Gibson,Fender/Jackson, PRS, Schecter), you will not have issues with cracking paint jobs, filling holes, etc. I have had several guitars modified by the guys at Peavey and never had any issues, and some of those mods (filling a tremelo cavity for a stop-tail conversion) were much more major than what you are talking about. Alot of new guitars go out with wood filler fix-ups that you'd never be able to find, the key is, find someone who REALLY knows what they're doing, if you can't then I wouldn't do it.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Actually, depending on the original jack location and style, it's rather simple.

For instance, I did this on a Strat style guitar that had a Les Paul style jack on the lower side of the body. I routed a hole for a standard Strat style jack on the top and drilled out the original whole with a forstner bit of the appropriate size. I then glued in a piece of appropriately sized dowel, sanded it flush and re painted the body. The result was an invisible repair.

I'm thinking of relocating the jack on a Gibson V to a PDV style jack on the upper wing. Again, simple to do... I'll replace the pick guard with one having no jack hole and it will be done.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I'm thinking of relocating the jack on a Gibson V to a PDV style jack on the upper wing. Again, simple to do... I'll replace the pick guard with one having no jack hole and it will be done.
simple? how were you gona connect the wires from the pickups and switch? outside the body? :shock:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I'm thinking of relocating the jack on a Gibson V to a PDV style jack on the upper wing. Again, simple to do... I'll replace the pick guard with one having no jack hole and it will be done.
simple? how were you gonna connect the wires from the pickups and switch? outside the body? :shock:
Well, seeing as how I finally followed through on this project, I'll tell you, it was really simple. I bought a 24" long bit at Home Depot and drilled through from the upper wing where I located the new Strat style jack to the pickup cavity. So I'll just need longer lengths of wire to run from the controls back through the pickup cavity to the jack.

The guitar is still in the paint stage, but when I reassemble it I'll post pics.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

did ya follow through Paul? :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:did ya follow through Paul? :)
Yes, but... I used spray paint cans (metallic blue) to paint the body and neck and it was looking nice. I then started on the clear coats and hung the body in the garage to dry between coats. Life got in the way and the project went on the back burner. The parts hung from the rafters in the uninsulated garage all winter and when I finally got around to looking at it, the body had cracked along the glue lines - presumably from a really cold winter. So, now I need to purchase a new body and repaint...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

cracks schmacks…:LOL:
bolt the body together and you'll have a pretty nifty huitar :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:cracks schmacks…:LOL:
bolt the body together and you'll have a pretty nifty huitar :)

:lol: :lol:

I was thinking about putting on a thick coat of a brush on clear laquer that wold fill in the cracks and see how it looks...
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

drill holes where you can to put screws in to hold it all together (or snap the pieces off and re-glue)...I did it with my chris holmes piss guitar build, made no different to tone at all
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sytharnia wrote:drill holes where you can to put screws in to hold it all together (or snap the pieces off and re-glue)...I did it with my chris holmes piss guitar build, made no different to tone at all

Interesting... I'll have to look into that idea.