Brad Gillis Les Paul

Talk about Brad Gillis here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Brad Gillis Les Paul

Post by axeman_12656 »

Anyone got any info on Brad Gillis' Les Paul that he used on the Speak Of The Devil Video? it appears to have a Floyd Rose. First les paul i ever saw with a rose on it. anyone for any info?

Thanks,
Josh
Live Life Stronger Than Death
The One
Cool Member

Re: Brad Gillis Les Paul

Post by The One »

Don't know if he still has it. And I believe Neal Schon (Journey) was the first to mount a Floyd to a Les Paul... ;)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/4Stacks.jpg[/img]
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Neal Schon... Good call on that one. Amazing player. Im shocked Gibson has never released this idea as a "Neal Schon: signature.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Well, they did recently release a Neal Schon signature Les Paul with a Floyd on it, and I agree, he is an amazing player. The new Journey record should be interesting as Neal has said he will be playing alot more guitar on this one than on some of the prior Journey albums. He and Randy have always reminded me of each other in that they both had/have impeccable note choice. Lots of interesting stories out there about Brad and Floyd Rose systems, no mistaking anyone for Brad when it comes to using a trem bar.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

tedeeoo wrote:Well, they did recently release a Neal Schon signature Les Paul with a Floyd on it, and I agree, he is an amazing player. The new Journey record should be interesting as Neal has said he will be playing alot more guitar on this one than on some of the prior Journey albums. He and Randy have always reminded me of each other in that they both had/have impeccable note choice. Lots of interesting stories out there about Brad and Floyd Rose systems, no mistaking anyone for Brad when it comes to using a trem bar.
I really dug Journy's last album... def look forward to hearing a new one.

Yeah... when it comes to using a trem bar no one has anything on Brad Gillis.

Funny how this thread brought those 2 names togther cause I saw Journy last year and Night Ranger opened the show. I think Brad was the most "entertaining" guitar player i have ever seen live.. he really knows how to perform and appear that he is doing more than he is on the guitar. Amazing players he and Schon. the other guitar player for night ranger is awesome also. I think his last name is Watson. I got a Gillis guitar pic from that show.. its chrome.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

2 great bands for sure, Jeff Watson is no longer with NR, new guy has a foreign name (I think), which escapes me at the moment. I bet that was a great show!!
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Think I read He borrowed that Les Paul from Jeff Watson for the Ozzy gig-Think Brad said He only had one good guitar and needed a backup..
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

The other Strat style guitar Brad still plays to this day. Thats amazing!!!
DethCrew30

Post by DethCrew30 »

Brad said he had that Les Paul set up with a Floyd very early on when the Floyds had just came out. Brad Gillis is an awesome player and by the way the other players name is Joel Hoekstra and he's an amazing guitarist too. In fact, Joel is the one who introduced me to the 8 finger tap thing that im working on and needing help with. I seen him talking about it on a Guitar World video but he didn't go into much detail on the technique.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

If I remeber correctly, Floyd Roses were meant for Les Pauls in the first place :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here is a Guitar World article about Gibson releasing a Studio model Les Paul with a Floyd last year.

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Ace Frehley is the first one I remember having a Floyd (or a variation of a Floyd) on his Les Paul Custom - during the Frehley's Comet days of the early 80's... I always though Floyd's ruined the look of a Les Paul