George Lynch plays...

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

George Lynch plays...

Post by oth »

i love GL s playing.
He does this slide thing in a lot of his runs.Its a real fast slide down or up(and in reverse).He does real nice bends,whammy and vibrato.He s not an expert in tapping or arpeggios or speed but he mixes it all up real nice.
He really peaked on ' back for the attack' album imo.The songs and singing werent asgood as previous lp's but his sound and playing were tops.Songs like: heaven sent,cry of the gypsy, have sweet playing.

here's some newer stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQSobhEO ... re=related

and:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9DsUo-tq8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbAMQmNfrTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaxBUZYFlhI
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: George Lynch plays...

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I listened to all of those links, and I just can't get into his playing. He definitely has skills, I just don't care for his playing.

That said, I have to point out that It's Not Love is a great song!
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

Back For the Attack is one of my favorite albums of all time! George is one of the coolest guys around. He's like Eddie Van Halen on steroids.

If Dokken had a masculine-sounding singer and some better songwriting, he'd probably have the same sort of status that EVH has. (He would actually be known outside of the guitar community.)

It's very easy to see why Randy Rhoads wanted George to replace him in the music school.
JoeGilbert64

Post by JoeGilbert64 »

George Lynch skill is unique one.People may say he doesn't use any speed picking technique
like Paul Gilbert but his supreme usage of the whammy bar and other licks makes him a legend.

Last edited by JoeGilbert64 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

that 'jack-off' vibrato actually came from George wanting to imitate Jimi Hendrix
whammybar usage without knowing what a whammybar was ;)
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Check out George here with Lynch Mob, 'Amsterdamned' 1990...:

Great band, & great solo by George! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I listened to all of those links, and I just can't get into his playing. He definitely has skills, I just don't care for his playing.

That said, I have to point out that It's Not Love is a great song!

Okay, for all my talking about Lynch being a 2nd tier player, I sat down and learned It's Not Love which is simply a great song. Mr. Scary sounds like George trying to emulate Eruption to me.

Could anyone point out some catchy, great songs by Lynch Mob? I'd like to listen to a bit more of George's playing and reconsider my opinion of him.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Paul Wolfe wrote: Could anyone point out some catchy, great songs by Lynch Mob? I'd like to listen to a bit more of George's playing and reconsider my opinion of him.
all of the wicked sensation album for me is george at his best (check out all i want and river of love esp). If you don't like him there then you won't ever like him (imo)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

He put out a cd of covers a while back called furious George. That was really good stuff.
kingsauce78

Post by kingsauce78 »

The fact that Randy asked George to replace him and teach his sudents should say what type of player George is. I met him at a guitar clinic a few years ago and everyone always say he's a jerk but afterwards I approached him and he talked with me for over 20 minutes signed my Wicked Sensation CD and Tab Book and showed me how he did that AH Harmonic Divebomb on Walk Away b Dokken and was really kind to me. Maybe he treaed me kindly because I have Parkinsons Disease but I truly belive he was kind because I treated him with respect and didn't try to force him to sign tings or take pictures with him I knew he was busy and was respectful in my request and I didn't ask to have a picture taken with him he asked me if I wanted a picture with him and we took 3 where they set framed on my desk.
The Rock

Post by The Rock »

kingsauce78 wrote:The fact that Randy asked George to replace him and teach his sudents should say what type of player George is.

Thanks for sharing that, it's good to know he's a good person.

As for your comment on George and Randy, I've heard that for years. Did you know he got fired from that job for trying to make money off of selling guitars to his students? It's also been reported that he was more interested in the young, female students and didn't have much courtesy towards the male and/or older students.

Sure, George plays great, but I'll never see him in the elite level. That's my personal opinion and I know most of you disagree, c'est la vie.