Speak of the devil DVD released tody

Talk about Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

hansolo
Mass Poster

Speak of the devil DVD released tody

Post by hansolo »

Sorry if off topic, really I only come here but I believe Ozzy re-did these vocals. I has seen it a few times and am convinced that his vocals don't line-up. I don't know if it's worth looking for an old VHS off MTV which might not have the vocals re-done then again they probably replaced them before sending out the tape to MTV. Anybody know when it went to MTV? '82 or '83? I'm sure it was a Saturday Night Concert. The laser effects were post production and were super-imposed on the video.
:shock:
Isodee
Cool Member

Re: Speak of the devil DVD released tody

Post by Isodee »

Yeah, he re-did his vocals. Did Rudy comment something about the vocals in the booklet? Or maybe I read about it somewhere here. :lol:

The show was filmed in June '82 and aired on Halloween the same year. I bought this DVD already last week and watched it on Sunday. Bitter sweet.
magicvoice

Post by magicvoice »

Purchased it today and I've had the VHS copy for years and this whole thing is re-edited (but in a good way) Apparently they had access to all the camera angles going into the original recording and instead of it focusing all on on Ozzy (as in the original) all band members are given their just due and its like watching a whole new gig....it breaks your heart cuz you know that would've been Randy's shining moment...after watching it...say what you will but Brad Gillis played his ass off! nuff said!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Hi Does the new version include any extras ?
magicvoice

Post by magicvoice »

nah, but the best $15 I've spent in quite some time...if your famillar with the original this is an unexpected treat.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

The new DVD is the same as the unedited Japan laserdisc and VHS from 1990, but without the subtitles. Same camera angles from comparing so far. The audio is better and the color of the video is better. There's still the audio glitch in Believer before the last verse as it was in the Japan releases. They didn't use the master tape for this. I emailed them and they said they used the best source possible. That's why the initial claims of remastering were dropped and not mentioned on the case. Still, it's an improvement over the Japan releases (I just wish that glitch wasn't there).

I taped the audio off the original MTV broadcast and Ozzy's vocals were the same. If they were redone (and I believe they were), it was done before it was ever out, but his voice still sounds great, as does Brad's playing. I always loved this show.

There are no extras on the DVD.
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

To think it may very well be the only time he sung the lyrics to "Over The Mountain" correctly throughout the entire 'Diary' tour!

I bought the new edition of 'Speak Of The Devil' last week. A big improvement over the Brazilian bootleg I've had on dvd for years (choppy editing, where the beginnings of songs are cut off).

I was surprised again how tight and happening this gig was. Brad Gillis played his heart out - they all did, in fact. Ozzy's focused and his voice is strong throughout the gig. Even despite the pain of losing Randy and Rachel, the band pulled themselves up and did a Grade A professional job of it during this gig. It is awesome to have an official version of this show, though. They all did Randy proud, and themselves proud. The only bit I miss during the gig is when Ozz bellows "Hang the bastard!" prior to Little John being "hung" before "Goodbye To Romance" lol. If Ozzy re-did the vocals, then he must have re-did them soon after filming the show. I don't mind. He sounds double-tracked on 'Speak Of The Devil' the album as well as on 'Tribute'. No biggie. Albums are forever; you wanna make them sound the best you can while you're there.

Yeah: it's great watching this dvd again without lousy editing or annoying subtitles.
FTLOSM

Post by FTLOSM »

I picked this dvd up off amazon as a preorder and really enjoyed watching it, brought back TONS of memories as a kid watching Ozzy live on MTV and altho Brad has a different sound and a bit more trem use he sure did it justice! I had it on vhs years ago and think it got taped over so figured I wouldn't see it again. Is the afterhours footage available anywhere on dvd or best quality download wise?