Eric Clapton Autobiography thoughts

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Eric Clapton Autobiography thoughts

Post by Geo Sav »

I was given the book as a birthday gift. I read it and was shocked at a few things. Eric is pretty close minded musically than you would think. I was also shocked at what a mess he was with drugs and alcohol. Not that I thought he never did drugs and alcohol btw. I don't wanna give things away in case people plan on reading it. I don't wanna spoil it for them. Any thoughts on the book?
oth
Mass Poster

Re: Eric Clapton Autobiography thoughts

Post by oth »

Clapton plays a variety of styles very well.He s written great songs and been in great bands.His actual playing has never really moved me.Ive tried and am still trying to find the EC song that will make me understand the legendary status.Maybe its that he can do a bunch of things really,really well.He seems conservative in his playing and he doesnt seem to just let it rip.Probably the best thing ive heard is a song called 'Double Trouble' live with steve winwood.And its very recent playing!The tone was great and he kinda let it rip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdfJ9BQvVSU

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G5CJFrO ... re=related
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Claptons playing I actually like. But He seems to have the if it ain't blues it sucks. I forgot what Cream song he hated to play on because it was more on a classical music side. He also in book said he didn't really care for the Beatles.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Geo Sav wrote:He also in book said he didn't really care for the Beatles.

I can see that.. I like some Beatles stuff, but it's hard to see them as the Icons they are... I read recently that Hendrix asked to jam with Cream one night and when he started playing Clapton left the stage, lit a cigarette with shaky hands and said, "Can he really be that good?"

I've got the book, but haven't read it yet... too many books, not enough time!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Geo Sav wrote:He also in book said he didn't really care for the Beatles.

I can see that.. I like some Beatles stuff, but it's hard to see them as the Icons they are... I read recently that Hendrix asked to jam with Cream one night and when he started playing Clapton left the stage, lit a cigarette with shaky hands and said, "Can he really be that good?"

I've got the book, but haven't read it yet... too many books, not enough time!
Was he being sarcastic?I know he believed that Cream didnt take off because Hendrix took off just before Disraeli Gears came out and overshadowed Cream.
I have the clapton book but as i find it boring can you tell me where/chapters his music opinions are?I know he went into detail about his love between Armani and Versace suits-WTF????He considers them pieces of art?!!!
I dont think he thinks much of evh which is funny cuz evh is a huge fan of his.

I dont listen to the Beatles much because a lot of their songs sounds like childish,magical, fantasy and theatrical stuff but it is pure genius and nothing before or since has come close.They really arent rock n roll like the stones or who.The Beatles are in their own class.BTW,the Beatles was the music that was played in my home from my birth til about 10 yrs of age.I remember seeing Yellow Submarine!!!in 1968!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I also remember when they broke up.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I would have to say that the Beatles pretty much started it all, changed it all ect. Think about it concept albums, writing there own music, singles longer than two and a half minutes, the first to use feedback and backward recordings. I can go on most or no bands were doing these things. Lets not forget that they knew how to write a few hit singles. I see teens to this day that know who they are. Not everyone has to like them but should respect them.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

My introduction to the Beatles was singing during music class in elementary school. i had no idea until years later that we were singing Beatles songs!

And yes, I have much respect for what they did. I guess it's hard to see that stuff as groundbreaking the same way kids today don't see Eddie's Eruption as being groundbreaking, it's all in the context. I will have to revisit my Beatles collection, I've got everything they ever recorded from back in my pirating days, time to give it all a listen.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Great stuff
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Great question! If you didn't paul you should. I was playing Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds on the keyboard yesterday and have been working on a bunch of there songs on fingerstyle guitar. Love it.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Alex wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I will have to revisit my Beatles collection, I've got everything they ever recorded from back in my pirating days, time to give it all a listen.
Paul, did you get a chance to get reacquainted with The Beatles?
Yes. I was listening to the White Album and Rubber Soul just last night. I've got to say, I really didn't care for some of the weird 60's stuff on the white album... I do enjoy their more pop oriented stuff. I think I'd even like to pick up my guitar and play along.

Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper are very good records that will be included in the soundtrack to the family road trip next weekend.

I also have just about finished the Clapton book. I was amazed to learn about what a shitty human being he was for most of his life. I've heard all kinds of negatives attached to Ace Frehley, Ted Nugent, Ed Van Halen and the like, but based on his autobiography, I'd have to say Clapton should be right there with them for the majority of his career.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Infatuation isn't so bad, it's his insistence on following through on his lust. Time after time he would cheat on anyone he was in a relationship with. He wormed his way into getting Pattie Boyd to leave George Harrison and then turned around and repeatedly cheated on her...

I do like his guitar playing, though.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Paul I was thinking the same thing about Clapton. Just dumb stuff like he never made his own bed till he was in his fortys! And the stuff you brought up too. Patty was hot but that was the wife of his best friend George Harrison! Glad you listened to the Beatles. A lot of great chord progressions in those songs.