Sandoval Polka Dot V Copies

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Whipper
Cool Member

Sandoval Polka Dot V Copies

Post by Whipper »

Anyone know anything about these, who they're made by, if they're half decent?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/RANDY-RHOADS-POLKADO ... 2a0b4f837d

I just can't get over the price considering they actually have an ebony fingerboard and mother-of-pearl inlay! No doubt the hardware and pickups must be cheap, but that could be upgraded for not so much. Certainly looks good. Odd how it has a Floyd Rose in some of the shots, but a Fender-type tremolo is on it in others, yet there is no mention of different models.
Last edited by Whipper on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ric

26bond

Re: Sandoval Polka Dot V Copies

Post by 26bond »

The maker is a member her, basicswatch, I emailed them re these guitars as I was tempted. Here is their reply.

Yes go to the link below and it is listed on ebay. I have 2 guitars on there one has a flyod rose. The one with the flyod rose is how all future models will be except they will have a regular tremolo bridge unless a customer orders with a flyod bridge. Tim

http://cgi.ebay.com/RANDY-RHOADS-POLKAD ... 2a0a8b122f

I am sorely tempted! :shock:
26bond

Post by 26bond »

ONLY $42 INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING FOR A LIMITED TIME TOO!

One thing to remember for anyone interested in suitar overseas is how much import tax you have to pay. One tip I can share is check if the sender will mark down the value of the item being shipped.

I have had a few axes shipped from US to UK and onlypaid £33 import tax, due to this being arranged with the seller.
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Thanks for the info!!! I am sorely tempted too, and if I hadn't completely drained my savings on woodworking tools and materials, I would've hit the 'Buy now' button! That price is awesome! It's not some factory in Asia pumping these out, just a luthier by the sound of it. Hell, I paid this much just for materials and hardware for my build!

I checked the post re this by that member from this summer, and he clarified the different tremelos -- it's actually a friend of a friend of his, and he started out making them with the Fender-style tremelo, but has switched over to making them with a Floyd Rose. You can get it made with pickups of your choice, but it's a 4 week wait for a build, and you save some money on one that's already made anyway.

Hmmm.... after my wife got really happy with a bottle of wine last weekend while we watched the After Hours footage together on DVD, she did turn to me and say, "You need a polka dot V like that!".... and the line of credit is due for another beating too... have to pick up a bottle of wine for tonight I think. :twisted:
Ric

26bond

Post by 26bond »

Good luck Ric! Maybe I should pop on some Barry White for the wife tonight! :D
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

:lol: :lol: Oddly enough, I didn't even have to crack the wine open, let alone put on any Barry White, before getting the green light from the boss! Makes me nervous... it's gotta be a trap! But how can I possibly resist with bait like that! :fish: Actually, it really helped that I turned her into a total Rhoadie this year, and she's even considering learning guitar or bass.

I'm still fighting a bit with myself on it, as it's kind of a bad time to be making a purchase like this, but sounds like I can't afford to wait either as basicswatch had mentioned that this guy might not continue to make these, or that he may end up doubling the price.
Ric

26bond

Post by 26bond »

Let us all know what it's like/plays and post some more pics - if you like it I might pull the cord on one too!

They do look bloody nice for the cash!
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

You got it! I don't mind being the guinea pig with it... I'll take one for the team on this one! :mrgreen:

You're right though, can't hardly go wrong at that price!
Ric

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

jeez!!! The way to a man's heart is not through his stomach on these forums, it is through his love of guitar! Nice going Ric, bring on the wine.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

:lol: We are a materialistic bunch! :mrgreen:

Our RR wine is finally supposed to be arriving this week, so we can christen the PDV with that when it arrives!
Ric

Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Just a heads up.... I was talking on the phone with the guy who is handling the eBay auction -- he's acting as a middle man for the luthier that's making them. He said this guy is planning on making Concorde copies too! They won't be reliced, but at least they won't cost 5 figures either.

Mine's in the works now. I'm going to get Dimarzio PAF Pro pickups installed. I've only ever used Seymour Duncan before, but I'd like to try them out,. Plus, apparantly Dimario PAF pickups were in the original Sandoval PDV, so this should be pretty close I imagine. I really like what I've been reading about them in reviews too, and they sound like a good choice.
Ric

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Ric

I can't wait to hear your review of the new guitar!

It is great there are luthiers making reasonably priced stuff! This guy, Charles de Lacy, makes a Worzel hand made Les Paul and is a copy of the one he made for Motorhead's guitarist (of the same name). £1000 for a top notch hand made Les Paul is a bargain; nice!!
Attachments
PIC_1234.JPG
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

That's fantastic at that price!!! Handmade with a highly figured carved top and top components! Gorgeous guitar!!

It amazes me how they're able to do it at such prices. Either they're super fast at it, or they don't mind working for less than minimum wage! Just refinishing a guitar in a repair shop will typically cost that much.
Ric

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

unfortunately the wine hasn't done the trick Ric. Too many other things to pay for lol
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Damn!! Looks like you'll have to get out the big guns and throw on some Barry White then!
Ric