The Official Gear thread !!

Talk about musical equipment, guitars, drums, bass, synths anything.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

i think i tryed a suhr as i said nothing played, felt, and sounded better then the one i bought.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Paul Wolfe wrote:The thing is, at the factory they have no idea what each individual considers a 'perfect' setup. For instance, I like really low action, some outrageously talented players prefer higher action - so who should Gibson cater to? As long as all the connections are good (my faded Les Paul's pickup selector didn't isolate the rear pickup as it should have), one should be happy. Setting up action and trems is very much an individual taste sort of thing, which is why I feel every guitar player should learn how to do it. So many guitarists talk about getting a specific tone, but shy away from learning how to adjust their guitars for themselves.

EVH learned how to adjust a stock Fender trem to stay in tune by doing things like making sure the strings didn't twist (rotate) while he was tuning... Ed is the epitome of a guitarist because he played like no one before him, AND he forced innovations in guitar manufacturing because he was so picky about what he wanted. He even went so far as to saw a Bigsby trem in half so he could dive-bomb the high strings without the low going out of tune - that is genius!

Ultimately, I recommend everyone at least look for the bit-torrent of the above DVDs and learn a little about set ups. It will make you a more well rounded person in the long run!

Paul, the guy whose party I was at last weekend was saying he felt that overall Gibson, while still making top notch guitars, were letting people down quality control wise.

His mate's Les Paul had the strings around the wrong way when the shop took it out the box!!

Also on the Gibson forums there is a guy whose Epi (a real mc one too) sid "mad in China"!! LMAO

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

All I can say is that the Gibson Les Paul Studio I bought a couple years back was excellent in every respect - except that pickup selector issue, but I've had that with any number of guitars including the Gretsch.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

All guitars I suppose need a bit of tweaking. My Rik Middlteon Classical cost a fair few quid but even that had a weird noise on one of the frets, I played it on over a few months and it went.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
RhoadsStar

Post by RhoadsStar »

cool thread my main current set up is a G&L Invader running into a Rivera MS which sounds hot! i consdered a vintage modern but i am quite happy sticking with what i have. before owning the G&L i used a gibson alpha q 3000

i sold it for next to nothing and now they seem to be worth loads damn

my other guitar is a jackson dinky and my practice amp is a fender champ
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

quality gear and well chosen. Is the Champ the valve one?

Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

wareagle wrote:my gibson has 0 fretbuzz and the action is perfect for me...i love it :)
Your guitar makes me drool! LMAO

Matt
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

lol
moparman64

Post by moparman64 »

The list of the gear I use is in my sig. I have a Yamaha acoustic, a Jay Jr acoustic and a Rouge bass I used when I was younger (I'm 19 now lol). But by far the best guitar i have is my 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Its ebony with gold hardware and a emg 81 in the bridge and a 85 at the neck. An 18v conversion and Dunlop Straplocks are in the works. The previous owner must have palm muted alot because alot of the gold on the bridge and tailpiece is worn away and to me it gives it character but the rest of the guitar is mint and shiny lol. Sorry for the long description.

As for amps I use a Korg Pandora preamp through a Ampeg bass combo. I'm saving up for a peavey windsor head though...
2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony w/gold hardware and emg 81/85 pickup set
2001 Squier Strat Artic White w/ Seymour Duncans
2008 Squier P Bass Red
2009 Epiphone Les Paul Jr Vintage Sunburst
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: The Official Gear thread !!

Post by Shockwave »

1968 Les Paul Custom Reissue
1978 JMP MKII with tons of moddage
1970 Fender Dual Showman Reverb
Peavey XXX 4x12
Fulltone OCD V3
Dod Phasor 401
MXR 3 Knob Chorus (MINT CONDITION BOYS!!!)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
MXR 10 Band EQ(newer one)
Barber Tone Press
Korg PitchBlack
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Radial Big Shot Head Switcher

Sold my custom shop G&L strat a couple weeks ago, had to :( it sucks, i loved that thing but never
played it anymore cause of the LP Custom
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Shockwave wrote:1968 Les Paul Custom Reissue
Peavey XXX 4x12
Fulltone OCD V3
Dod Phasor 401
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Barber Tone Press
Korg PitchBlack
Teese RMC Wizard Wah

Sold my custom shop G&L strat a couple weeks ago, had to :( it sucks, i loved that thing but never
this post is kinda creepy.. its so similar to my rig!

i have the sun/cherryburst '68 ri
i have an unmodded 1978 100 watt 4 input jmp
i have a mxr chorus
i have a mxr delay and eq
i have the tone press

crazy eh?
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

wareagle wrote:
Shockwave wrote:1968 Les Paul Custom Reissue
Peavey XXX 4x12
Fulltone OCD V3
Dod Phasor 401
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Barber Tone Press
Korg PitchBlack
Teese RMC Wizard Wah

this post is kinda creepy.. its so similar to my rig!

i have the sun/cherryburst '68 ri
i have an unmodded 1978 100 watt 4 input jmp
i have a mxr chorus
i have a mxr delay and eq
i have the tone press

crazy eh?
yall got some nice gear , why not post a clip and let's hear how it sounds . :idea:
................................................................Image...............................................................................
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

i used to i took most of them off... how bout this... ill go do it!
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Just a few thoughts on this, every guitar that comes out of a factory should probably be tweaked a little, even when they are set-up right at the factory stuff can happen in shipping, etc. Set-necks and neck-thru's can be really finicky to travel conditions and other factors. Until he moved away, my best friend at Peavey always did my set-ups (and most anything else I needed) on all of my Vandenbergs, and he was so familiar with my playing and what I liked, that his set-ups were always dead-on, I made him show me everything he did to those guitars before he left but I still can't set them up as good as he does, so sometimes you may need more expertise than you possess. As far as quality issues I think every guitar manufacturer is going through some of that, and some guitars no matter how exspensive or how good they look, just turn out to be dogs, thats why you play them before you buy them. And just to throw mine on here, lol

Peavey Vandenberg Customs
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Morley Little Alligator Volume
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Majik Box Doug Aldrich Rocket Fuel
Outlaw Supply Man's Ruin Overdrive
Carl Martin Quattro
Stereo to:
Peavey Triple XXX SUPER 40 hEAD W/ Wiggy 212 cab
Peavey Classic 30 head w/ 212 Classic cab

and a Carl Martin Hydra-Boost in the loop
with a Boss NS2
run through a Peavey Midi-pro switching system

Live with an AKG Guitar Bug Wireless
Recorded with a Planet Waves cable
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Jake_E_Lee
Cool Member

Post by Jake_E_Lee »

agree with tedeeoo there. i mean, you got your different mail order shopping places, but if you buy a guitar from there, they're sometimes assembled in the warehouse by some random kid who doesnt know what the fuck hes doing. good guitars are generally shipped already built up though. but anyway, my gear:

guitars:
charvel san dimas (1984)
charvel model 6 (1986-1988 i think)
tokai goldstar (1983 - 1984)
jackson dinky dk1 (1986 i think)

amps:
marshall jcm800 (1959 plexi reissue head no master volume)
marshall jcm800 (stanard combo lead series with master volume)

pedals:
boss cs-2
boss bf-2
boss df-2

thats the gear worth mentioning. got other stuff but i don't consider that my important stuff.